584,814 active members*
5,289 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

cnc conversion started

actullay doing two machines. One is my x2 (cummins tool r8 spindle) and the other is for Goofin (grizzly mt3 spindle) on the board. He does not live far away. We will be following a combo of ron steel and hoss' plans. I have all the metal stock rought cut for all axis parts. I ordered a set of metal gears ( https://thehobbyistmachinestore.com/...6a4e98cc38f068 ) to replace the plastic gears. I made the y spacer and bearing retainers. I have the motor mounts for the x axis and y axis. I have the motor stand offs done for the x axis and the y axis. the ballscrew stock is in and the ball nuts are in for both axis. Now i just have to machine them down. that is the update as of right now. All of the work thus far has been done on a hass super mini mill, but i will be using the seig mill for the making the z axis parts.

I also found that you can use a grizzly 2.5" four carbide cutter ( http://www.grizzly.com/products/Fly-Cutter/G2861 ) on the seig mill for about 5 min. before the plastic intermediate gear actually melts. Also the grizzly boring head and bar kit for 79.95 is a great deal as it will cut a 3.25" circle ( http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-Bo...R-8-Only/G9322 ).

Any comments please post.

yea who's this cracker? and it might be nice to see some pictures too, not just links!
    just bustin on ya. i should be ordering the keling setup on the 27th when they open back up

pics will start being posted of the conversion. I bought a set of the metal gears to replace all the plastic gears in the drive train. I will be making the belt drive conversion from hoss' plans. I also purchased a 3" rotary table from grizzly h6195 ( http://www.grizzly.com/products/h6195 ) to learn on. I will be cnc that with a nema 17 or 23 using prints i found on www.jfettigmachines.com .

As soon as i get my gears i will be using the 2.5" face mill to clean up all the z axis peices. since we have the ball screws and nuts I will be indicating my lathe to cut the ballscrews. I have a cummins mini lathe. Do you think that will cut the ballscrews? I have a set of carbide bits to try it on.

Hi krymis
    So are you replacing all the plastic gears with metal?
    Or going with Belt Drive?
    Im thinking of ordering some metal gears from that web site.
    Just thought I would wait to read your review on how well they work.
    Im going to be using my X2 Mill on a lot of steel. Light slow feed cuts;not in a rush. But want it to hold up.
    Keep us posted.
    Thanks!

any idea how much your conversion on the x3 will run?

hey did you get those gears yet? ive been kicking butt on getting the bike done and should be all wrapped up next week.

I would go with the belt drive conversion. http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ory=1687114045
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

i have not received the gears yet but as soon as they get here monday I will post pics and a photo follow along of the replacement. I am putting them in the x2 not an x3. I will be building a belt drive from my own metal following hoss' prints. I wanted to replace all the gears that could possibly fail during operation before putting on the belt drive.

Goof, I have not accomplished anything on the conversion past making the ballnut mounts as the gear melted. THe gears will be here Monday or tuesday. The site says monday.

As for my bike, the frame has been reworked again for the third time. I just used the engine cradle from the stock frame and tied it into my 1.25 frame. I also almost have the tank done and both fenders. I am working the tank and fender molds now. I will have the first parts out by the 31st. I have the petcock and pop up cap done and ready to mount as soon as the tank is finished off with the Kreem. FYI i have found that polyester and vinylester resins will still breakdown from fuel even with a kreem liner. THe next step is to use the epoxy and see if it will breakdown. so far tests show no signs of deteriation.

hey hows that rotary table working out?

stop by the kawy twin site, IBBY had several massive heartattacks and is in bad shape. he's been on a respirator since 12/19

Kinda seems like a wast of money for the metal gears just to "make" a belt drive conversion. You figure the time and money for materials (for the belt conversion and the metal gears) involved well exceed the cost of a belt conversion kit. You went through the cost of buying ball screws and nuts, the conversion should have been first. I bought the Ron Steele's belt drive conversion and his plans for CNC conversion straight away (LOVE THEM). Now I have a good jump on the Hoss ATC 90% finished.

Of coarse this is just my opinions ... and of coarse I could be wrong.

Thanks
    Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

the reasoning behind the decision is to replace all the gears for metal. The inner gears and the others. The conversion would have been first also but other things came up. I have ron's plans also. Remember this machine is for fun for me. I have other machines that do my actual parts production.

Hmm, Ok

On my conversion I removed EVERY gear and anything that even looked like a gear.

Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

oh so when you do the belt conversion you actually remove all the gears but the motor and spindle gear? Also isn't the spindle gear plastic? I don't want that to sound sarcastic. It is an honest question. I have yet to see a belt drive in person.
    Wouldn't the gears be better to have when milling 1018 or does the belt take care of that pretty easy?

In any event i may be ordering the belt drive, as the THMS is delayed in shipping. Ordered gears on 1/04/08 and paid for 1-2 day shipping and still no gears. I did hear from dan last night through e-mail and found that the holidays have played a role in the delay. No harm no foul but the machine is sitting idol. So that may be the next step if the gears do no arrive today.

More info or a link to a post on the actual installation of the belt drive and removal of gears would be appreciated.

Here is the steele belt conversion I have.
    http://www.stirlingsteele.com/beltdrive.html

I bought mine from LMS for the same price as steele has on his site.
    One pulley on the motor and one on the spindle ... That's it! No gears plastic or metal. VERY QUITE!!!!!

Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by krymis View Post
    oh so when you do the belt conversion you actually remove all the gears but the motor and spindle gear? Also isn't the spindle gear plastic?
    It sounds like you may be thinking that there's still some gearing going on inside the spindle box after the belt conversion. There isn't. Two stationary gears stay on the spindle but they don't engage anything after you remove the sliding gears. The procedure for removing the gears is in the installation manual. I managed to do it without separating the spindle box from the seat, as instructed, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mill.jpg  

Yup!

Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

gentlemen,

that is exactly what i needed to clarify. I did think there were still gears left in place to help drive the spindle. That makes a lot more sence now. Thank you for your help.

Yup, there are no gears driving the spindle at all just the 2 pulleys. You can (if you want) remove the gears from the spindle, but it's not necessary for the function of the conversion.

Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

F.Y.I. the hobbyist machine store gears are still not here. Tomorrow will be a full week since placing a 1-2 day delievery order. A gentleman from the store e-mailed me on tuesday to let me know that the postage was paid on saturday but the package did not go out until monday. Understandable being the holidays. However when you pay for a 1-2 day delievery and expect it to be there, it erks you. Ok so now on to today still no gears as this would have been day 2 of travel if it went out monday. I am slightly irritated that my machine is sitting dormant from a part that was suposed to be shipped 1-2 day arrival. As for the order on the gears I do believe i am going to have to cancel or return them and overnight a belt drive from LMS. So much for trying to get a new product for review. I need my machine up and running as i have a few parts i need to make.

Sorry for PMSing on the board but i am very upset A. my gears are not here, B. there is no phone number to talk to an actual person and find out where the confirmation number is, to track the package. (nuts)(chair)

krymis,

I hear you on the shipping. I bought 4 sirius radios for Christmas gifts and they were to arrive a week before Christmas, but ... some how they didn't get the free 3 day shipping and were sent pony express and arrived on the 27th. Well long story short, I returned them and also for my troubles and hassle to get new gifts in time, they gave me $75.00 credit to my account.

Point being ... If you were supposed to get 1-2 day shipping ... that's what you should have and if they cannot do it ... then they need to compensate you if they want to get future sales from you. Otherwise ... tell them to go pound sand!

Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

Page 1 of 3 123