586,024 active members*
4,338 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BP Series 1 Anilam > Mach conversion...?

I have a bid in on a private sale of a BP Series 1 machine whose Anilam controller and servos are still functioning, but the display is burned out. Sorry - I don't remember the version of Anilam controller (forgot to write it down), and the deal was too good to say no to in any case controller notwithstanding...

Assuming I acquire the machine - am I better off staying with the Anilam controller, or converting it to a newer Mach-based controller? What am I looking at having to change out if I go the Mach conversion route?

Thanks for any suggestions!

-R

Monitor

Hi arpieb,

If the machine has an Anilam 1100M series controller you may be in luck. One of the guys here on the forum had an Anilam 1100M Controller with with a weak monitor and did the following. This "may" work on other Anilam controllers.

He had a spare 17" VGA monitor (I think it was a flat screen). He just removed the plug in the computer cabinet that went from the VGA card and plugged in a VGA cable and hooked it up to the 17" VGA monitor. He may have made the connection in the Anilam Monitor Cabinet where the VGA cable plugs into the Anilam monitor. It accomplished 2 things. Got him a larger monitor that was easier to see and fixed his weak monitor.

The only downside as I see it is that you have to find a place to put the external monitor. One other thing was that I believe the monitor only displayed in monochrome due to the video card that is in the Anilam computer control box.

If you purchase the machine and it has the Anilam 1100M controller on it you can e-mail me at [email protected] as I have some documentation, information and programs that will be very helpful in the use of that control.

Just some information that may be helpful.

John

P.S. I have a couple of Seiki XL 3 Axis Machines with Anilam 1100M Controllers on them that I am selling due to purchasing a HAAS TM-1P CNC Mill.

Probably better off going to Mach 3 because of the support. Does it have a tool changer ?
    A lot of guys are using the Viper 200 drives on the big mill retrofits.

PC Based Anilam

Those Anilam controllers are PC based so you can use a standard pc monitor in place of the old CRT. If the only problem your having with it is the monitor then you'll save yourself a bunch of money by staying with the anilam.

Anilam uses it's own proprietary conversational language and does not use Gcode so that could be a reason to switch if you didn't want to learn the Anilam control. I didn't like it at first but know I find it handy. Simple tasks like just drilling a bolt pattern or something...I can program it on the floor in just a few min.

Anilam Mach3

Hi I have an old Anilam up and running and 2 new machines to convert. If it is an older machine, it has DC servo drives so Step and direction of Mach 3 will not work unless you get a converter card. The problem with older Anilam's is the CAM CNC software is limited.

I have personally been looking at EMC2 that can run Servo cards in the PC for the control. EMC has taken me quite a while to just get into it but if it all works as expected, I can use the existing servos, servo drive cards, power supply etc running with an onboard PC driver card.

Cheers Wallace

Happy Christmas.

Back when I was in the machine tool business I had to retrofit dozens of machines with the Anilam, because that's what the company was selling. I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for one. Junk it and put a real control system on your machine.

If it is the 1100M, it has a convert from Gcode in the utilities menu. Also note that the I,J,K numbers need to be in absolute coordinates. I could see where if the display is the only problem, an external monitor would save considerable over a complete rework.

I would stick with the Anilam controle if it is an 1100 or newer, Not to say that anything older is no good but, if you go much further back you will realy run in to support walls.
    It does support G-code from the utilities menu and is fairly handy within its limits.
    I'm not familler with the other operating system you refer to but, we did do a side by side comparasen of two identical machines several years ago. One had an Anilam 1100 and the other had the latest version of the Proto-Trak controle on it.
    We simply found that while bothe were equelly suited the Anilam took more brain work to program than the Proto-Trak for the same job. This made it difficult to train newbees just out of tech school on the Anilam control.
    I guess what I'm saying is the Anilam is a good unit but, it's not for dough heads.
    If you would get into a Anilam 3300 or better you would see that it is a powerfull conversational controle that can do anything the big boys can do right there at the screen or off line ( I can program and operate my 3300 from home if I want to )
    You do need to know somthing about machining procedures and program structure to make them operate efficently though.

Anilam 1100M

The Anilam 1100M control can also use the offline software that was designed for the 3300 control. I use it all the time and it is great.

John

Hey John That is cool!
    I didn't know that but I am looking around kind of casualy for a two axis knee mill cnc for my own shop at home and that would certainly sway me.
    Would that offline simulator also work on a Anilam 1100 Comando controler?
    I know of a Devlieg 54K120 bar that has the Comando on it and may be coming up for sale.

Off Line Software

Hi merl,

I am not familiar with that Anilam control. If you contract the person listed below he will give you the correct answer.

I would strongly urge you to shop for a 3 axis machine as it will increase your capabilities quite a bit. Working with a 2 axis control with no Z depth control is no fun. Control on the 3rd axis is a big deal.

Tim Podgwaite
    Service Manager
    Acu-Rite Companies, Inc.
    716-661-1724

Hope this helps.

John

Quote Originally Posted by arpieb View Post
    I have a bid in on a private sale of a BP Series 1 machine whose Anilam controller and servos are still functioning, but the display is burned out. Sorry - I don't remember the version of Anilam controller (forgot to write it down), and the deal was too good to say no to in any case controller notwithstanding...

Assuming I acquire the machine - am I better off staying with the Anilam controller, or converting it to a newer Mach-based controller? What am I looking at having to change out if I go the Mach conversion route?

Thanks for any suggestions!

-R
    I did a hardware upgrade from the 1100M to Mach3. I kept the servos, servo amplifiers and power supply. Added pixies and Mach3. The machine can now run at 200IPM, before with the 1100M it could only do 150IPM at best. This is a picture of the inside now that it is finished and running.

I am now adding a pendent and hopefully an ATC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2206.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	49535

People have converted to EMC using a Mesa 5i20 controller board. That leaves more of the Anilam stuff in place now that Pixies seem to be unavailable.