584,842 active members*
4,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wiring diagram needed: Standard Modern 13/34 lathe

I just bought a very nice, almost "new" (but almost 20 year old) Standard Modern 13/34 lathe. It's in pristine shape with most of the tooling still in the anti-rust wrapping! It came with the 5C collet setup, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, Dorian tool post setup etc..

Anyways - I changed the plug to match what I had in my garage... From a twist lock 50A plug to a 50A straight push in type plug (like what comes on a lot of smaller welders).

When you first start the machine it was VERY loud, like the motor struggled to run. Once it was running it sounded "ok" I guess. Not "good" though. After a few reluctant starts it finally quit starting all togehter. I took the panel off to find that the fuse was blown - which should have been my first clue. I changed the fuse and went from a 2A to a 3A. (mistake)... Well it worked again (reluctantly) for a few more turn on / turn off cycles. As it sat there it started smoking out of one of the contacters... I unplugged it and left it alone for the night. I went back to where I got it from and luckily they had a "boneyard" of this same lathe. I took the whole control panel assembly out of it for parts... and also wanted to inspect to ensure it had been wired properly. The only difference between my lathe and the other one is that the green wire was hooked to the neutral post on one lathe and to the ground on the other... otherwise they were the same......

So, upon talking to one of the guys in the shop where I got the lathe - I was told it was wired for 110V! How??? (Especially since it had the 220V/50A twist lock plug on it)

So, now - I decide to pull the cover off of the motor. The wiring was not the same as either diagram on the inside of the panel. There are 9 wires I think, and for 220V operation it should have to sets of 4 wires and one that goes to the switch itself (I don't have the wire numbers in front of me, but you get the point).... and for 110V it should be 4 pairs of wires and one to the switch...(I could have explained it backwards, since I am at work and don't ahve the lathe in front of me)

BUT - it was wired neither way! None of the pairings matched AND the wires to the motor, from the machine, were all black with no numbers!

So does anyone out there in CNCZone have a diagram or point me in the right direction? I am also going to try to place a call to Standard Modern and see if they have a diagram they can fax me.

HELP!

Just in case this could help someone via a search - The lathe appears to be wired up incorrectly from the factory. (as far as converting from 110V to 220V is concerned.)

I've obtained a wiring diagram from Leblond and I am in the process of getting it worked out.