585,683 active members*
4,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Foam plug layering software?

Hello all, long time lurker, first post.

I have long built foam plugs for fiberglass bodies by laminating numerous layers of 1-2" thick foam sheets roughly cut to my desired shape and then sanding. What I did not like about this method is that it's precision was based on my eyeball. I am investing soon into a CNC plasma/multipurpose table and have heard of programs that allow you to develop cross sectional templates of your 3d object. I am seeking to implement something like this on my CNC table but am clueless as to what program(s) will allow me to do this. I am making the transition from freehand design to Cad but will any cad program (AutoCad, Rhinoceros) allow me to divide the object into cross sections with thickness of my foam sheets? I am hoping to cut these templates on my CNC table.
    Thanks for any info or insight that anyone might have.

Yes, you can slice an object up in most CAD programs, but there's no automatic button to do it. How the object is created will dictate how you need to slice it. There's an easier way, though.
    Both MeshCAM and Cut3D will automatically create slices of your models and create the code to machine the individual slices.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

if you dont have MESHCAM, and if you don't mind saving your cad output as stl - stereolithography -- then use STLWORK from IMSERV. It does slabbing - just select it and its done automatically and generates the gcode. Was pretty economical as I recall.

Not with the company - just like the gear.
    cheers - JIM
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

I am much obliged for your quick replies. These are some very interesting suggestions that I will investigate further. Thank you.