585,969 active members*
4,452 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Any advice appreciated - newbie

Any advice appreciated - newbie

Hi guys. I've been working in an R&D environment for 15 years building prototypes. I've been using Mastercam for years all the way up to X2. I generally make parts from Ren type tooling boards, wood, machinable wax, Delrin, brass or aluminum. I make "cutesy" parts for show that often get hand sanded, filed and painted. Sometimes a bandsaw and a disc sander will be all I need to do a job. I routinely only make 5 or 6 of anything and take light cuts and sneak up on the final dimension. I can set up and run manual manual milling machines and lathes. I've used Prototraks and set up and run vertical cnc knee mills.

So on to my question. I have an opportunity to a new job that's closer to home, etc, etc. It would be in more of a real machine shop environment than I've worked in before. I would be designing and making fixtures for rework and second ops. I'm confident in my design skills, but I've really never cut steel. Speeds/feeds were never that critical with the materials I've been using. I'm interested in learning how much of a cut I should be taking, better tool selection. Stuff like that. Is there a reference book in particular that's recommended? I kind of feel like a newbie even though I've been doing this stuff for years.

Thanks guys, TB300

Quote Originally Posted by TB300 View Post
    Hi guys. I've been working in an R&D environment for 15 years building prototypes. I've been using Mastercam for years all the way up to X2. I generally make parts from Ren type tooling boards, wood, machinable wax, Delrin, brass or aluminum. I make "cutesy" parts for show that often get hand sanded, filed and painted. Sometimes a bandsaw and a disc sander will be all I need to do a job. I routinely only make 5 or 6 of anything and take light cuts and sneak up on the final dimension. I can set up and run manual manual milling machines and lathes. I've used Prototraks and set up and run vertical cnc knee mills.

So on to my question. I have an opportunity to a new job that's closer to home, etc, etc. It would be in more of a real machine shop environment than I've worked in before. I would be designing and making fixtures for rework and second ops. I'm confident in my design skills, but I've really never cut steel. Speeds/feeds were never that critical with the materials I've been using. I'm interested in learning how much of a cut I should be taking, better tool selection. Stuff like that. Is there a reference book in particular that's recommended? I kind of feel like a newbie even though I've been doing this stuff for years.

Thanks guys, TB300
    Get yourself a copy of the Machinists Handbook, it's considered the bible if your gonna work in this trade.