585,987 active members*
4,411 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Keyway broaching on Lathe (need Y axis?)

Keyway broaching on Lathe (need Y axis?)

I've tried doing all the reading I could on the best way to create an internal keyway inside a bore. I've found the PH Horn broaches that seem to be what I'm looking for. they suggest mounting them in the turret. I have a Haas SL-30 with live tooling (C-axis) on its way and I'm not quite sure whether this CNC lathe is capable of using these broaches as there is some confusion in my mind about what I will need a Y-axis on my lathe or not (which I don't think it has).

any thoughts about keywy broaching on a lathe?

cheers!
    Paul

It should be possible without a Y axis, as I used to do the odd one on an ordinary manual lathe. What you'd need is the flexibility to orient the tool so that the insert axis is parallel with the X (cross slide) and then you can increment the cuts in X.

Interesting find, BTW. I didn't know anybody made tools specifically for this
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

This has been discussed previously; do a search using 'broaching lathe' and you will get several threads/posts.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    This has been discussed previously; do a search using 'broaching lathe' and you will get several threads/posts.
    Yes it has been discussed and that's how I found out about the PH Horn parts , but I didn't see anything about a Y-axis.. However the other question about how to orient the face of the tool on the X-axis. If you don't orient it just right the flat of the keyway will be all messed up.

cheers,
    Paul