585,978 active members*
4,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Recently bought an sx3

Ok just bought this thing and finaly had the time to set it up and change over the spindle gear. For higher speed. I've read how the lcd board firme ware don't register the speed. But thats not my issue. What scares me is that with the speed all the way up. I can grab the spindle head and dead stop the spindle from spinning in no time. This could make certin cuts near impossible. Is this normall? Yeah i know i'm crazzy for trying to stop a spinning spindle. But not like there was a tool on it. lol.
    http://www.rainman229.com

Current Limit Setting?

The current limit setting may be a bit low.:devious:
    I can even pop my current at 200RPM (100 indicated. It shows half too)
    It's just like hitting the stop button.
    At full speed with an ammeter (AC clip-on is easiest) monitor the input current.:idea:
    I notice you are in the US, so are probably running 110v.
    Gently loading it up, with the nice smooth (fairly harmless spindle if you have short sleeves), you should expect it to trip at about 9 amps, which is 1000W as rated.:wee:
    On 240v it would be a bit over 4amps.
    You may have a 240v version, which probably will run on 110v, but the trip would then be only at about 450W, which WOULD appear to be fairly weak.:drowning:
    Have you defeated the nice plastic interlocked guard :nono: so you can grab the spindle, or has it been removed? (like I did):wave:

:cheers:
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Well even though I can stop my spindle at full speed by hand. It cuts rather well. Finally got to throw some chips with it. 3/8's endmill .160 pass at 12 F. And not a drop in the rpm's throw alluminum. Nice smooth cut. No chatter. Now i just need to tram everything up and I'll be set.

The x3 is worth the investment in my book.
    This x3 makes my BridgeMill shoptask look like a POS.

Rainman229

Smile What Speed.

Rainman229.

Well done.
    What spindle speed did you cut that at. Full width across cutter?
    You can push it much harder IPM maybe double if you are game.
    When things start to rattle, just back off a bit!

Neilw20
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Spindle speed was at 3600rpm. The first pass was full width. Due to not having the proper size peice i need so i used a tad longer peice. If it wasn't for that first pass i'm sure i could bump it up some. But that first pass is scary.

Smile Plunging.

If plunging from 1 side to cut a groove, until cutter is full width engagement approach at 1/2 to 2/3 target feed.
    If in a pocket ramp down Z sideways at about 5% if a full face cutter.
    That is go across 20 units while going down 1 unit distance, also at about 1/2 feed rate.
    This is for a 2 flute cutter in aluminum. 4 flutes clog more easily.
    This is not the ultimate cutter for the job, but probably lowest cost.
    3 flute uni-mill probably best, only long enough for the job.

As of right now I'm a little scared to push it to far. I'm only using a little jewelers vice on it. And they don't hold all that great to start with. But tax check is coming soon. So I maybe getting a Kurt vise for it. Or something similar.
    Never really thought about ramping in to the project. I'll give it a shot and play around with that.

Thanks for the info.

Once I learned what and how ramping works, I use it all the time. It slows the program a hair, but sure is easy on the cutters and the mill.
    Lee