584,860 active members*
5,386 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 10 of 15 89101112
    osphoto

How does the calibration working for you is it any better?

Quote Originally Posted by Big-tex View Post
    osphoto

How does the calibration working for you is it any better?
    Haven't done any cutting yet to test it. Currently looking at getting a better measuring device. A tape measure from the local hardware store doesn't give me the warm fuzzy. I'll do some checking into it this weekend though.

Any one got a large caliper say, about, 30+ inches long?

I know what you mean.
    As I have stated this is a starting point due to lack of better way to measure.
    It would be nice to have a DRO and map screws. This is most accurate way to do it. On the other hand you do not make watches.

True about Not making watches. And now that you said that. I'm wondering if I really need to be that accurate.

However, I do cut stuff down the .01 due to the SMD electronics I'm using to make some of my stuff.

Ah man, I finally remember to check back in here and find out I missed a meet. Sorry I wasn't there guys, if you PM or email me next time I'll be sure to make it.

Now I really want a Jake's burger and a shake.

Shop tips: Regal Plastics and Metal Supermarkets. Metal Supermarkets sells their castoff pieces for really cheap if you need small bits of thin aluminum or other sheet metals. I also like D&R Saw and Tool for router bits, they've got a pretty good selection of Misenheimer and Whiteside.

I've been wanting to go to the Dallas makerspace http://www.dallasmakerspace.com/ meetings for a while now on Thursday nights. I'm guessing those guys could need a lot of CNC work done and on the scales most of us are tackling from the home garage. Kind of giving away a sales lead here, but whatever. I'm sure someone will return the favor eventually. Sooner or later, there's going to be more than enough work to go around. It's like we're the first guys to own a PC and no one's quite sure what to do with it yet.

When you v-carve a sign what processes are you using to apply paint? How are you painting the recessed/machined areas and not getting paint on the rest of the project?

I use a syringe. I paint on aluminum, under a magnifying lamp. I use a blending stomp to remove the excess paint.

If you don't know what a blending stomp is:
    Blending Stomp No 1 & 3, 8-Pack from Daniel Smith Art Materials
    You can get these at any art's store. There are different kinds, but I use similar to these since they are two sided and i can use a pencil sharpener to keep a point.

In addition, I can paint, let dry and re sand the aluminum as needed. Or even re-polish.

North Texas CNC Users Group has apparently been at the Woodworking Show in Mesquite all weekend. Today is the last day, from 10-4. Dallas I enjoyed it a lot last year. Don't know if it is worth $10 if you're not going to buy anything though.

Edit:

Okay we had some pretty good turnout. And I'll go ahead and summarize the email I sent to the North Texas CNC User Group mailing list. I've decided to take up the mantle of "Operations officer and
    community ambassador" to spearhead our outreach issues and attempt to get us on a regular meeting schedule, along with a better website and a social media presence. I figured there's three long term goals for the user group: 1. Procure group discounts from vendors, both local and national. 2. Make our usergroup a great place to network, learn, market your work and get clients. 3. Host quarterly / semi-annual events to showcase our members work, do training, and rub elbows. Possibly, with other community groups involved as well.

Questions, comments, suggestions? PM me, email me, or call me.

Hi guys, I'm a young newcomer to these forums here in plano looking to get into CNC'ing and I was hoping this group would be a good place to start, I should preface by saying I make custom computers and I'm looking to learn the skills to start creating my own computer cases in time. Thanks guys, Jake T

Sorry one quick add on, I was looking to see if anyone here in the dallas community can help me with milling a case for a computer I'm working on if I provide any needed material?

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTactus View Post
    Sorry one quick add on, I was looking to see if anyone here in the dallas community can help me with milling a case for a computer I'm working on if I provide any needed material?
    Absolutely, Phoenix and I are long time members of the case modding community. Shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

I live in Rockwall and would like to attend one of these meetings. I've been looking at Joe's, Rockcliff, Solsylva, Lionhclaw, etc., and I'm not sure the pluses and minuses of each.

Cost is obviously a factor, but I'm interested in building one capable of doing 2ft x 4ft projects.

Meeting up

Holidays... Yea, I'm sure we all are busy.

Lets get a gathering setup. 1st week in December? Addison area? Jakes burgers?

I also need to get some fleur de lis made. Anyone able to create something like this? If so, I can get size, etc, etc. Guess I could use Alibre.

John give me a buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by osphoto View Post

I also need to get some fleur de lis made. Anyone able to create something like this? If so, I can get size, etc, etc. Guess I could use Alibre.

I'm new here, live in Carrollton. I've been using a Commercial CNC for woodworking for several years and am now in the process of building a CNC system from scratch.

I would like to meet up with others in the area and Jakes sounds good to me. As for the Fleur de lis, if you're looking to make them out of wood I can help.

Mike

December Meet-up

As usual, I am up for a burger.

Working to get my 2X3 frame welded up in next few days.
    Actual work area will be slightly larger than that but I already
    had some of the frame parts on hand.

Sorta designing/changing as I go but look at all the fun I'm having.

My windoze computer crashed last week, but I did have all my CAD files
    backed up.

Now I have a new iMac to use for surfing etc.

Will try to build a CNC ready Windoze machine in December.

John, I can do the fleur de lis. Call me or Thomas.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sk8nmike View Post
    I'm new here, live in Carrollton. I've been using a Commercial CNC for woodworking for several years and am now in the process of building a CNC system from scratch.

I would like to meet up with others in the area and Jakes sounds good to me. As for the Fleur de lis, if you're looking to make them out of wood I can help.

Mike
    Welcome to the group Mike. I live in Farmers Branch.

Mike

Sounds good to me, but by "First week in December" do you mean November 29th or December 6th?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Matarife View Post
    If there's less than 5 RSVPs by Friday night or maybe 10AM Saturday morning I'll probably call it off and start organizing for the next weekend instead. I think we have 3 so far, counting me.
    Count me in.

Mike

Page 10 of 15 89101112