584,862 active members*
5,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rail profiles?

I've been ordering HSR linear motion slides off ebay for my cnc machine. However, I've gotten a few without a matching rail. Can I run THK bearings on ABBA rail?

I don't know first hand if you can do that but you might want to call SKF (they bought ABBA) or THK to see. I think they will likely say that you cannot and will probably tell you that the slides and rails are matched.

It it were me and that was their response, I would try to mount the slide on the rail regardless. There are two things that will happen.

1. The slide will not fit the rail. It may not go on at all or it may go on loose. If it goes on loose, the ball bearings could fall out so make sure you put a container below to catch them. Also the container is a good idea as if it does not fit on to the rail profile, the bearings could fall out as well.

2. the slide goes on.

if it fits you will need to determine if the fit is good enough for your application.

Good luck.

It's possible but don't bet on it. Most brands are dimensionally interchangeable (overall rail + block height and bolt patterns), but the blocks and rails aren't compatible.

Don't even bother trying to talk to THK...they're customer support is terrible. They won't even sell you end seals direct...motion industries is helping me out, but it's been 3 months and still no seals... THK sucks. They have great products, but so does everyone else....definitely go with one of the other guys if you can help it.