584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

laser cutting tough, light, flexible sheet materials?

Hi!

I have access to a "Universal Laser X-600" at work.It is similar to:
    http://www.ulsinc.com/english/laser_...line/x660.html

im not sure of the power - but at "100%" we can cut through 1/4" plex in 1 pass. we use 2 or 3 to do thicker acrylic plex upto 1/2"

I am trying to figure out a good material to use this machine to cut to make parts for small light RC toys. The plastic we use at work, acrylic, cuts very well but is also very fragile - it shatters. I have tried PETG which is better, but the laser makes a mess of it!

Anyone know a material i can cut with the laser which is as close to carbon fiber as possible? I am considering fiberglass sheet, lexan, PVC, etc.

If more information is needed, let me know!

Thanks!

Robert
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

careful of the PVC! It's a health hazard. Creates hydrochloric acid: bad for you (and your machine). Also, stay away from Kevlar: makes cyanide gas.

Do a search on the internet, it's full of mat'ls that are safe to use.

Sorry this couldn't have helped you more.

jmg -

yeah, i cut ome clear PETG, most nasty! The acrylic really cuts nicer. The machines are very well installed. Our air cleaning system at work looks like a 25' long windtunnel with all sorts of instrumentation. it services the painting booth, the shop air in general, and the laser cutters... the smoke is sucked away very efficiently. however, the PETG parts stunk and were otherwise unusable.

Ive searched the internet some, it wasnt so useful. i suppose i will just call the laser vendor from work and ask a ton of questions.

Thanks,

Robert
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Try ABS, it's available in sheets, and I have cut it 1/16 - 1/4" on my 45 watt. It doesn't cut as cleanly as acrylic, but is better with a 2nd pass, and is stinky but it's a tough material and laser safe.

I have also cut lexan but avoid it, since it's not clear whether that releases hazardous gasses or not. I and others have contacted materials chemists and gotten different answers.

i thought of ABS. I had time to do a test and cut about 20 different materials.. Of the plastics this was the general results:

Most materials were between 1/16 and 1/8" thick 'plate' or 'sheet'.

1. Lexan - nice and tough - but the laser made lots of caustic yellow smoke, discolored and marked the parts yellow and black, and was otherwise useless. Cut fairly well, but melted too much.

2. PVC - woulda been good but - It stunk, and was unusable. ick. I still could smell the odor hours later... ick

3. PVC Foam - slightly better than the PVC sheet, but useless all the same

4. Balsa - Cuts great!

5. Acrylic - Cuts great, but gets beveled edges when cutting sheets over 1/2", and is weak - it shatters and is useless for RC heli parts. Otherwise, great material for many things.

6. Styrene - Thin stuff cuts well - thicker stuff does not.

7. PETG - Yellow smoke, acrid smell, useless parts.

I want to try 1.5mm 'fiberglass sheet' - the kind that is formed sheets. I also want to try nylon, delrin, teflon, and similar plastics. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive from McMaster Carr. Also want to try ABS.

Thanks for the input.
    Design & Development