585,967 active members*
4,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Voltage Balance

On my freshly installed RPC I am getting 460 Volts 3 phase on H1 and H2, 462 Volts 3 phase on H1 and H3, and 390 Volts 3 phase on H2 and H3. H3 is the generated 3 phase leg.

Is the 390 volts due to run capacitors not being balanced? Would it be safe for me to run my machine with one leg at 390 volts? It's a 30hp VFD waterjet. The machine specs call for 440-500 volts 3 phase.

what brand converter did you install??

-dave

http://www.electrophaseinc.com/warranty/index.htm

He's name is Larry. I had to do alot of research to teach my electrician how to do it. Larry is a "oh well" kind of guy.

Mark

well, i've got a cnc lathe being delivered in about a week. i also don't have 3 phase and need a converter. your situation is exactly what i'm afraid of. i just don't have the cash for a phase perfect.....

-dave

Hi, I have built and used a number of rotary phase converters for years now. I run a huge 3 phase welder (with electronics) and a huge Hypertherm Plasma (also electronic conrols) with very good results. As well as a couple CNC mills. My point is this. In development I have found many odd variables when trying to balance the 3 legs of the output. 1st DO NOT run any valuable equiptment untill you are sure what said equiptment will see for voltage balance. It is possible that the converter is perfectly fine as is. You need to load the converter output and then test the balance in order to actually see what the downstream equiptment will see when operating. What you want is a phase balance when the equiptment is in operation and it has been my experience that the "Idle" balance and "loaded" balance can be VERY different. Let me know if I have helped any or just confused you.