585,759 active members*
3,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

big time newbie

Hello,
    I have been programming/operating since b4 cad/cam (1983). just about everything (except Okuma)

So guess what, we bought a used okuma. (MC-4VAE with OSP5020m control) I dont have much for docs on the machine so alot of my fanuc/mits commands are not working.

Anyway I cant figure out how to reference the axis's (send it home) to save my life. anyone out there that can help me?

Thank you..

update:

I was able to fat finger a program in and run it. but without being able to reference the axis's i cant make a tool change.

I seem to be able to do just about anything except figure out how to send it home.

Quote Originally Posted by 72k5 View Post
    Hello,
    I have been programming/operating since b4 cad/cam (1983). just about everything (except Okuma)

So guess what, we bought a used okuma. (MC-4VAE with OSP5020m control) I dont have much for docs on the machine so alot of my fanuc/mits commands are not working.

Anyway I cant figure out how to reference the axis's (send it home) to save my life. anyone out there that can help me?

Thank you..
    hi
    if i understand u corectli you want reference the axis x,y,z?

a good control dont need that.

Quote Originally Posted by phx View Post
    hi
    if i understand u corectli you want reference the axis x,y,z?

a good control dont need that.
    so your saying, after power up the machine doesn't need to read a section off the encoder to tell it where it truley is?

Yep!
    That is correct! Turn on the machine and start using it!
    Okuma's do not need to be Zero Returned to a "Home" position like Fanuc's do.
    If you can not do a tool change then something is mixed up with the parameters that control the position for the tool change.

What cam software are you using?

my seat of Mastercam should be here this week. so i need to start tracking down a post. I also ordered the manuals for this machine and should see them in a couple weeks.

In MDI if i type T2 for example nothing happens. Is that correct to rotate the tool drum? I'm a little nervous to mess with it too much as the pot is down and i dont want the drum to rotate with the pot down. (obviously)

I was hopeing the pot would raise and the drum would turn.....but nothing happens.

In MDI you need to type:
    T2 M6
    write
    Then press cycle start.

you must have the tool change code. "M6"

Quote Originally Posted by kazmir44 View Post
    In MDI you need to type:
    T2 M6
    write
    Then press cycle start.

Ah...thank you.

so the Okuma control cant just rotate the drum with a T callout.

In MDI you need to type:
    T2 M6
    write
    Then press cycle start.

I seem to be able to do what i want now.....thank you for your help.

I know just enough to be dangerous :banana:

To return to the home "tool change" position. All you have to do is input an
    M6. It shouldn't matter what position the spindle is in.

You should be able to stage tool 2 by entering T2.
    Then change to that tool by entering M6.

I have 5 of these machines on my floor now. Three 3 axis, and two 4 axis.
    Using mastercam x2 to program them. Have working posts.

Your mastercam reseller should provide you with a post, customized to your needs. However, I have found that this could take awhile. If you don't get what you want let me know.

If there is anything else I can do for you, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

-Jake

MC-$VAE

Hello,

Thank you..
    I have the personal challenge to learn to programming this machine. I´m new in Metal industry. I have all the manuals, so I will try to digitalize them and I can put it on line

I have since this post pretty much figure this machine out. My biggest issue as of late was i dont have helical int. however it is available from Okuma and they are working up a quote for me as we speak......thank you all for your help.

Hello,

Thank you..
    I feel your pain! I've been programming lathes since 1985. We have one Okuma in our shop. Think it has the OSP700 control. It is programmed and set-up by the other lathe programmer. I have no problem programming it, but setting it up is a different story. I too am use to Fanuc controls. Had to set it up a couple times the past few months.

Don't know if the control on your machine works the same as ours, but moving the axis as far as it will go in X & Z plus allows the turret to index with the button on the control...I think. LOL. This much I do know. In Auto mode rapid traverse cannot be controlled by the feedrate override switch unless the machine is in single block mode.

None of the Fanuc cycles can be used on the Okuma. G76 is G71 (I think ) on the Okuma. Forget Macro B programming. I do like some of the features on it.

I just looked and saw that you have had 3 months with which to learn it. Now you can teach me.

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    I feel your pain! I've been programming lathes since 1985. We have one Okuma in our shop. Think it has the OSP700 control. It is programmed and set-up by the other lathe programmer. I have no problem programming it, but setting it up is a different story. I too am use to Fanuc controls. Had to set it up a couple times the past few months.

Don't know if the control on your machine works the same as ours, but moving the axis as far as it will go in X & Z plus allows the turret to index with the button on the control...I think. LOL. This much I do know. In Auto mode rapid traverse cannot be controlled by the feedrate override switch unless the machine is in single block mode.

None of the Fanuc cycles can be used on the Okuma. G76 is G71 (I think ) on the Okuma. Forget Macro B programming. I do like some of the features on it.

I just looked and saw that you have had 3 months with which to learn it. Now you can teach me.
    my best advise.....trial and error. Just do it and see what it does. I have this machine in full production now so it's becoming a normal thing for me. sheesh, now i prolly cant run a fanuc machine.

okuma

we have over 30 okuma machines on our shop floor. including lathes 2 and 4 axis, with and without live milling capabilities. 3, 4, and 5 axis vertical and horizontal mills. and a few cnc od and id grinders.
    if you have a specific question, let me know.
    i'd be glad to help out

jake

[email protected]

we have over 30 okuma machines on our shop floor. including lathes 2 and 4 axis, with and without live milling capabilities. 3, 4, and 5 axis vertical and horizontal mills. and a few cnc od and id grinders.
    if you have a specific question, let me know.
    i'd be glad to help out

jake

[email protected]

The Okuma god....

Excellent to know.

I have worked in CNC Sales as well in the past and the okuma control although weird its not bad, however i think the okuma iron is excellent.

the owner of the company has asked me to start specing another machine for a very near future purchase and i am considering the okuma pretty hard.

I have always been a OKK or kitamura fan but these okuma'a aren't bad. I just need to see the numbers.