585,749 active members*
3,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sound Proofing Help

Hello All.

Well i recently started my new job and loving it, except ive been so busy i get minimal time on the CNC machine because its eitehr too late to use or im just tired. I recently got some time to think at work and figure things out. Im finally about to move to a new house to rent. The problem is that with the new place it is nearly a villa community style housing and with houses close by i dont want to cause problems or get in any trouble with noise. So my first instinct is to give the machine an enclosure to reduce noise which soon followed by what the heck i should pay for some acoustic tiles as well.

So my question is to anyone out there with some knowledge, photos or anything. What thickness would be good for the acoustic tiles(have ccess to 1mx1.4m tiles of 20mm thick min. is this good enough) to reduce the high pitch noise of the machine running(it runs with a die grinder). Also im interested in a design similar to what cool cuttings did, but instead of having a lift up front(last resort for me) i'd prefere to have 2 slides on the front with 2 doors and slide them open for access.Its either that or it will be 2 hinged doors. I will also want perspex in the doors to see whats going one. How do i minimise the noise that could go through the perspex or is it good enough. Also with the slides how can i seal the gaps around the doors? Also i know that sound proofing a machine will cause heat so i am going to add 2 100mm fans at the top to circulate air and a couple of vents at the bottom. is it possible to "gag" these vents with some foam to prevent the noise but allow air?

Anyway, any help greatly appreciated as well as photos of other peoples machines.

Photo Of Coolcuttings Enclosure

Hello again,

Just thought i'd post a photo of the enclosure of coolcuttings machine. Any of us(im sure many of us did) who started with the rockcliff plans would have seen this one as it is a lovely machine enclosure and machine. I do hope that i do not do him wrong by posting these photos either. If you do read this cool cuttings and dont agree with it i will remove it. Either way if you search his name in the photo gallery you can also find them there. Here are a couple to show you the enclosure and the type of acoustic tiles i am using. They are very similar to egg crate material but im sure are much better.

Thanks again,
    Daniel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 111_1184.jpg   111_1185.jpg  

Looks cool. So how nicely does your enclosure work to keep the sound in?

Wish it was my enclosure cause i wouldnthave to spend more money but alas im just using these photos to give an idea of the foam type and general idea.

Daniel

Hi Daniel

As a suggestion I would build baffle boxes to fit over the vents and have the internal surfaces covered with polystyrene foam. The baffle boxes would ensure no direct line of sight vision could occur from one side to the other. I would put the vents on the side rather than the bottom otherwise waste build up could occur and that could become a fire/health hazard.

Even with gaps around the sliding doors, I doubt if much noise would come out.

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

Andy,

Thanks for that reply. The baffle box is a good idea and i can understand that. When you mention polystyrene foam to cover the inside, do you mean using it instead of the acoustic tiles? also if so what thickness would you recommend? Im in the process of drawing up a model of the new encosure and wanting to get everything organised before getting it fabricated.

Anyway thanks again for the reply.

Daniel

Daniel

I forgot that you had acoustic tiles. If they are also fireproof / retardant even better.

Actually, thinking further.... putting a dust extraction hose onto the vent might be enough and no baffle box required. Or if you have no dust extraction, then having a vent on the sides with baffle box and a vertical (down) exit hole could be adapted to take a vacuum cleaner bag.... umm not knowing your setup I can only guess what I would do.

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

Andy,

Again, thanks for the reply. It is really helping me. Due to the size of my machine and the space i have, it doesn't have a dust extractor. Would be nice but instead i just bought a shop vac. Im looking to add a mini cyclone to it as well since the MDF dust just clogs the filters.

I haven't actually bought the accoustic tiles yet, more just trying to see if they would be better or if it is possible to do it on the cheap. Like your polystyrene, i can only guess from your mentioning that it should reduce noise. I know the egg crate stuff is just a myth and hence why i was looking for something like polystyrene or accoustic matting/tiles. The tiles i can get are about ~35ea(1m x 1.4m) plust postage. So i thought thats not too bad but want to double check first. My vent idea was to place the vent off the ground a bit(after your suggestion about clogging) and then i was going to add 2 small computer fans(~100mmsqure each) at the top that pushes the air out. That way the natural circulation (as we all know hot air rises) would keep the enclosure from overheating.

Thanks again
    Daniel

P.S As for my machine, if you click on my name and goto threads started, my machine build is in there. You can see pictures of my machine and work.

OK after some back and forth emailing with the supplier of the sound proof foam, it turns out that it is 10mm to the lowest point of the convolute and 25mm thich to the top section. He said that the tiles are retardant and can withstand any temperature but cannot withstand a naked flae. Now im sure being foam that this would be the case in any of the sound proof foams but i just wanted to double check with you guys first.

Also the other thing i was curious about is, what material shouldi use for the walls of the machine or will it not matter. For cost and ease of cutting i was thinking about MDF but then i thought i had better check first to see if there is a downside to MDF or a better alternative without forking money out for soundboard.

Also to make the cornr braces for the sides to mount too i guess it would be better to make these with a 2x2 wood brace frame or is it possible to mount some 40 x 40 RHS tube form the main framework to extend up and make the shape without transfering too much noise.

Thanks again and thanks in advance.
    Daniel

Enclosure Mock Up

Hello Everyone,

Just thought i'd let you know, that i have started my enclosure and hope to post photos of the build along the way. Its not going to be the best but it should do. The Main frame will be the same as my old one but a little bigger. So thats made from 40x40mm RHS. The enclosure frame will be made from 35x35mm pine and the skins will be 12mm MDF. Later i will order the sound foam and line the insides. I am hoping to use persex for the wiondows and have allowed room for an airgap and 3mm mdf to placed around the outside if it doesnt do enough of a job.

The enclosure mock up isnt complete yet , its missing the door and a vent or too but its mostly there. Just need to get it done in 2 weeks before i go away for work. Anyway, any questions or comments welcome as usual.

Daniel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new cnc enclosure mock up.jpg  

Hi Daniel,

Looks good

I just use a pair of Ear Muffs but I am lucky, I have the whole shed to work in and it faces on to a main road

I made a cycone and it works great, not much dust get into the shop vac either

Bob

Bob,

Great to hear from you. Thanks very much for the confidence on the cyclone. Got any pictures? Is it a full size one for a dust extractor or a small one for a shop vac? Wished i was as lucky as you for the location. Be nice not to have to spend more money on a new frame and enclosure but hey it will be worth it im sure in the long run. Cut the main base and roof for the machine enclosure today, and every main frame strut is cut to length so everything just needs to be joint and screwed together and it shouldnt be long until i am done the machine enclosure. The glass/plexi will be bought next week. So looking forward to adding some windows. lol.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by twistedfuse View Post
    Bob,

Great to hear from you. Thanks very much for the confidence on the cyclone. Got any pictures? Is it a full size one for a dust extractor or a small one for a shop vac? Wished i was as lucky as you for the location. Be nice not to have to spend more money on a new frame and enclosure but hey it will be worth it im sure in the long run. Cut the main base and roof for the machine enclosure today, and every main frame strut is cut to length so everything just needs to be joint and screwed together and it shouldnt be long until i am done the machine enclosure. The glass/plexi will be bought next week. So looking forward to adding some windows. lol.
    Hi Daniel,

The cyclone is at http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/cyclonic.html and it includes the shop vac and all of the parts, some of them second hand too and the overall cost was not much and it really saves the canister on the vacuum cleaner!!!!. I have not emptied it yet and the canister is pretty much clean so they do work beautifully

Be interesting to see how the sound proofing works, long as it is easy on the neighbours is the main thing

Bob

Very nice vacume set up for the chips. Do you have any drawings to share. I need to build a new one for my router.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by duraflap View Post
    Very nice vacume set up for the chips. Do you have any drawings to share. I need to build a new one for my router.
    Dennis
    Hi Dennis,

No, there is no drawing. Just get the bits and put it together using the website as a guide.

Bob

Bob,

i agree. The site is great and the cyclone bit gave me lots of pointers. From what i saw here and other places it does have some leeway. I will probably weld a small cyclone up not sure if it has to be that big but either way i will be using your site for general ideas. Just curious the length of the outlet pipe that extends down, how far down the cyclone does it go or does it protrude into the bottom bucket. From the photo it looks like it is just to the start of the cone.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Only goes down about an inch into the top of the funnel, emptied it today and it was full of heavy waste material and coated on top with the ultra fine stuff. Definitely worth a try

Bob

Bob,

Thanks heaps for that. Its about the only thing that isnt clearly stated on alot of sites that i have browsed at. I am in the process of building the enclosure and have made the frame work from35mm x 35mm pine. I just bought some 35mm x 90mm that i will make into triangles and will liquid nails and screw into each corner to give the frame stiffness and help square things up. Then i just have to screw the mdf on and paint the walls, finish the metal frame it goes on and finally do a few mods to allow everything to work nicely in the enclosure. SO i'd say a long way to go, hopefully done by next week so its done and ready to be painted when i return from a training course.

Daniel

Almost COmplete CAD Drawings

Hello Again,

just thought you'd like to see what the final design would look like. I still havent finished the metal frame that the cnc sits on but its starting to look good. I just hope that it looks this good when im done. lol.

Enjoy,
    Daniel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new cnc enclosure mock up1.jpg  

I just thought i'd better post here again to say that i am still going ahead with my design and enclosure but if you are subscribed to this thread or wanted to see the progress to see http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...=39708&page=13

This is my main machine build log so i hope yu can visit there instead and help out and give feedback.

Cheers,
    Daniel