585,712 active members*
4,205 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

refractometer

could someone please tell me the proper method for testing my coolant with a refractometer

and also what coolant you are using.

I need a coolant that could sit for a few months without going bad

thanks

mark

you need to calibrate first, taking water , adjusting the screew to see zero line , next you can take a drop of coolant and see , if you have coolant in good condition you will se a sharp line ( betwean white and blue seen here : http://www.aquacare.de/bilder/produkte/refract2.JPG ) else you will have a great gradient ;-) what else will you know ?

Coolant?

Quote Originally Posted by fourperf View Post
    could someone please tell me the proper method for testing my coolant with a refractometer

and also what coolant you are using.

I need a coolant that could sit for a few months without going bad

thanks

mark
    You will need a chart from your coolant manufacturer to convert %brick to an actual percentage or ratio. Most major coolant makers publish these conversion charts on their websites. We use Rustlick Ultracut 250, at a refractometer reading of 5.6 we have a 20:1 dilution ratio. No coolant will remain fresh if it sits unused for a few months, your should add an airstone to your coolant tank to help preventing it from going rancid. Fully synthetic coolants typically have a better sump life, but my experience with them has been less than satifactory. We tried a full synthetic in one of our vmc's and had problems with machine rust even though the concentration was at the correct amount. We switched it back to the Ultracut 250 which is a water soluble oil and the rusting problems went away. Hope this helps.

What do you do with the refractometer factor? Do you multiply by it. This one coolant says refractometer factor 1. Refractometer range 5 - 20

Thanks a lot.

Mark

Typical dilutions tend to be 5-6%.
    If refract factor is 1 then reading should be 5 - 6.

I am happy with the Nocosol HDCF that I use.
    The regular Nocosol was not good.

Your system absolutely MUST be clean and biocided (very well) before changing to a new coolant.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

thanks a lot darebee

ok, so rutland tool sells a valenite refractometer for 328$ and a extech for 115$. is there a difference worth spending over double?

thanks

mark

I have my for about 50€ and it works for me , I don`t produce high quality alcohols

I've got the Enco brand refractometer and it works fine. The case is kind of cheap. If I were walking around with it everyday, testing machines and planning on doing that for 10 years, I might have bought a nicer one but for the occasional use this thing gets, it works great.
    Greg

thanks

greg. I will do that