585,737 active members*
4,482 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

hydraulic help

First of all if this is not the right place for this let me know. I am fabricating a foam spraying unit to spray open cell foam i have a gun for spraying the foam but I am lacking the pump system. What I am wanting to do in use 2 hydraulic pumps to pump the foam componets. I am wanting to use the hydraulic pumps one because of the cost and two i need to have at lease 1200 psi. So do You guys think I can get away with using them for this. I welcome all your ideas.

Thanks
    Bert

I think you had better do a bunch of testing. My experience with the chemicals for the poyurethane two part foam is that they are corrosive. Also curing reactions can be triggered by contact with some types of metals such as nickel or copper so you could find things gumming up inside the pump.

What do commercially available systems use?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

other pumps that are uses out their a piston and gear pumps that i know of, i planed on using a aluminum hydraulic pump. also the reaction done not take place in the pump but the gun

It is not the reaction between the two chemicals I am talking about it is a reaction that might occur between the metal of the pump and either one of the two chemicals separately.

An all stainless steel pump would probably be okay but regular hydraulic pumps are just alloy steel gears may not. Also you need to check whether the seals in a regular pump are okay.

I am not saying a regular pump will not work just suggesting some things you consider test before going the the effort of building something and then finding out there are problems.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

ok i see what you were saying, i miss read what u wrote