585,575 active members*
4,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Picture to 3D to G-code

Hey,
    Thought I would post this question here. I am not having any luck finding the answer through searching here and Google.

One of my eventual goals once I get my mill CNCd is to take a picture of something, convert it into a 3D drawing and then convert that to G-code for milling into a chunk of aluminum. My first goal is to take our unit coin (military unit) and make a larger 3D version of it in aluminum. The coin itself is around 1-1/2" in diameter. I would make one around 3" in diameter.

What programs (cheap) would do that?

I'm already getting somewhat familiar with TurboCad Deluxe 10. I found a TurboCad Pro 12 and Cam package for around $200. Would that software do what I want to do? I could not find anything on the TurboCad site that showed me that.

Mike

Good Golly.
    After searching around last night for two hours, I found an excellent thread on CNCzone and other hits on Google after a 5 minute search.
    Sigh.

Here is the cnczone thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28671

Although that never really said whether TurboCad Pro 12 would work...

Mike

I have never done this but hope it helps you out http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.p...r=asc&start=45

Quote Originally Posted by BrassBuilder View Post
    Although that never really said whether TurboCad Pro 12 would work...

Mike
    Not likely. going from a picture to a 3D model is not as simple as you might think. You'd probably be better off either probing or laser scanning it. Take a look here.

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I was going to mention the same thing as Ger but I couldnt find the link.

For the milling process you could use meshcam or cut3d both are affordable.

Or, the new MACH3 plug-in. You can get the scanning and also the machining. Haven't tried it yet - but may need to take the scanned results ( does Mach create point clouds) through another program. Anyway, well worth a look at the Mach3 program.
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Yes, laser scanning is the only method I know of to get something like that eventually converted into an IGES file (I work at Toyota with this stuff every day).

It would be very time consuming and tedious, but if you wanted to, you could bring a good pic of it into AutoCAD or some other 2D drafting program, then proceed to create lines on top of the imported pic. You'd be creating more of an emboss than a true 3D replica, but it's very doable.

Look into Bobcad. They have a program that goes with their Cad/Cam program that turns pics into 3d images and Code. I think its called ArtCam.

Thanks everyone!
    You have given me more options to think about and mull over.
    Mike

I use Turbocad pro 11.2, but without the cam package. The cam side is still only 2D or 2.5D, so it won't like doing what you are trying to do. The pro version does draw 3D pretty well though. A little higher learning curve on the 3D side of the tools, but if I did it, you can too.

About the easiest way to do this other than probing or laser scan it to scan it in as a bmp, then just redraw over the top of it. If it is mostly straight geometry and text, then you should have little trouble with it. Once you have a simple line drawing, you could even use a 2D program like Sheetcam or many others to pocket or cut around your objects to a depth that you wanted.

You can also take a picture of it or a scan and import into a graphic program (I use Corel Draw and Photo Impact.) You will have to play around with blurring and shading, but then you can import into Meshcam and it would cut a likeness of it. May be good enough for what you want. That goes faster than redrawing, but you don't have as much control over the finished drawing.

Why don't you load the image you have here? We could then see what obstacles you might face.
    Lee

Most decent 3D CAM programs will do height displacement of greyscale images fairly well, you'd probably have to tweak your image to get something you'd like.

That'd be the easiest unless you had an existing model to copy and could scan it.

Delcam offers Artcam that is a great product, maybe a little pricey for the home user

Take a look at RhinoArt; it's a plug-in to Rhino from Mecsoft, the makers of VisualMill. It's not free, but it's a lot less than ArtCAM. It does a good job of converting grayscale photos to 3d polygon mesh heightfields. If you get that, Rhino, and RhinoCAM, you should be all set to carve them out. I'd attach an example, but it's not up on a website, just on my hard drive (and the "attach" function asks for a URL).

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Take a look at RhinoArt; it's a plug-in to Rhino from Mecsoft, the makers of VisualMill. It's not free, but it's a lot less than ArtCAM. It does a good job of converting grayscale photos to 3d polygon mesh heightfields. If you get that, Rhino, and RhinoCAM, you should be all set to carve them out. I'd attach an example, but it's not up on a website, just on my hard drive (and the "attach" function asks for a URL).

Andrew Werby
    You can post a .zip file or a screenshot from your hard drive.

You'll need to use the Advanced Editor, then click the "Manage Attachments" button.

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Thanks; it's easy now I found the right button...

This is from a digital photo shot upwards into a palm-thatched roof. The rendering is of the polygon mesh generated by RhinoArt; WYSIWYG. Maybe I'll carve it and see what I get...

Andrew Werby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails palapa.jpg  

Thanks again for all the replies. I'd post a picture of the coin, but we have not settled on a design yet. I'll post it once we get something settled.
    Mike