For a homebuilt unit, which is a more robust design? I can see benefits to both approaches...

My understanding of them is based, primarily, on photos of other people's machines, and of Cranky's 7th Sojourn and Routezilla designs.

Both look well engineered, and both would be excellent designs to emulate. (OK...copy) But which, for someone starting with a "blank sheet of paper" is the better design to emulate?

I *like* Routezilla better -- something about it appeals to me. But, my concern is the potential for the gantry to rack while the machine is under load.

Is this a real concern, or is it more of a theoretical thing? I'd be using twin rails -- one on each side with fully supported homemade linear bearings -- and a screw drive mounted in the center.

THANKS!

-- Chuck Knight

P.S. For the cutter head, would it be better to go with a Dremel/RotoZip, or a small router?

I already have both a Dremel and a trim router, so it's not a matter of using "what I already have."

And then there's this router:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44914

I've seen it on sale for $20 from time to time...a truly exceptional price. Something cheap that I could dedicate to this project, next time it goes on sale.