585,754 active members*
4,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC program startup trouble.

Hi Folks,

This is my first thread on this forum, and is new to CNC. I have purchased alot of parts for a CNC project, and is currently waiting for the items comming in with the mail.

So While waiting im trying to get into the Software part of the CNC world, and there are some things that puzzles me, and I would realy like some tips / Suggestions from experts on what can be the cause for my concerns.

Ok, To start with I created a very simple file in stdcad which is strictly 2D. Its a square (100x100mm) with a square box on top (50x50 mm) and I want to se if I can take out all the excess material.

The problem is that I go from stdcad, to sheetcam to mach3, and when I arrive to mach3 the plane is all wrong, it seems the drill starts in the middle of the material and then goes up and starts to mill.

Also I can not figure out how to make it remove the excess material given the square of 50x50 mm. somewhere in one of the programs I would need to set up what size my block of alu is to start with i would guess...

Another question that have puzzled me is how will it actually be possible for me (using stdcad/sheetcam/mach3) to make a rounded top - Like a beer can laying down on the side. I se no way of making this possible with the above tools - Or will I have to invest in autocad for this.. and will autocad be able to generate g-codes, or would I still need to get it through sheetcam or another program.

as for the box use the wizard in mach 3 for pocketing . i looked at sheet cam a little look in edit countoring .it has the info your looking for to make your set up dimensions for your hight and offsets .you enter your data there ie; the aluminum block.