585,883 active members*
4,880 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

router vs a spindle

right now I have a bosch router 2.25 hp and have the option of going to a spindle 1/2 collect 3 hp water cooled variable speed ,is is it worth the switch.
    Will the spindle run smoother than the router as its plowing its way through.
    I would also like to be able to work with aluminum in the future nothing real thick but i felt the router was no choice when it came to metals

I get by with my 2KW dewalt router and can cut aluminium ok with speed set at 8-10,000rpm with the right cutters. I think it depends on the rigidity of your machine. If the spindle has decent bearings and little run out you should notice a good improvement and be able to use much smaller cutters. I can get down to 0.5mm dia with my dewalt but after half a dozen uses the cutter often breaks. I will be going to upgrade to an Elte high frequency spindle when my dewalt has had enough, these have minimum runout, ER25 collet (so a much larger range of cutters will be available without using reduction sleeves) and ceramic bearings, much less noise decent price (compared to the likes of Perske and Columbo) and variable speed, thing to remember with a spindle is if its rated say 18000rpm 400hZ, reducing the speed will reduce its torque.

I just updated my spindle from a portercable to a Ekstrom Carlson spindle. Powering it with VFD control & parts from automation direct.

I would not go back. Having the variety of real er25 collets to hold things is enough.

I think ones with separate cooling fans would be quieter then mine (mine is driven from the spindle motor) but it is still much quieter or the noise is in a less nasty range when running thus seems easier to live with.

I would not go back.

Run out is improved, And temperature of the bits stay WAY lower since the heat from the spindle bearings and motor don't contribute to tool temp the way they do in a router.

b.
    b.

spindle

thanks I will probably move toward a spindle,the machine supplier has a 3hp italian spindle readout and controller,does not connect via mach 3 at 1395.00 cdn
    I find running the router seems hard on it