585,987 active members*
4,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Plotter Parts Survos Belts Screws Etc...

Post Plotter Parts Survos Belts Screws Etc...

Has anyone used parts from a plotter to make a CNC router? I have an old Large Pen plotter and was wondering if I could use the survos and control boards or drivers from the plotter to drive the Survos on the CNC router?

I just finished tearing an old E size (24x36 inch) pen plotter. The motors look too small. I don't see how the driver board could be used with G code. The pulleys look good, but the belts are old. Then there is only parts for 2 axis.

John

Cool Use for a plotter.

I am retrofitting an A2 Roland Plotter to be a pick and place SMD component machine complete with multi pickup tools and multiple parts carriers.

Most plotters are much to light and under powered to be used as a router.
    I have to be careful that the parts attached to the carriage are VERY LIGHT,
    and I am only placing parts that weigh milligrams. Inertia rules cos I want speed.
    Hope to place 20 - 30 parts per minute. Better to be ambitious?
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmac View Post
    I just finished tearing an old E size (24x36 inch) pen plotter. The motors look too small. I don't see how the driver board could be used with G code. The pulleys look good, but the belts are old. Then there is only parts for 2 axis.

John
    24"x36" is D size paper.

Talking Still using the plotter electronics. No need for G-Code.

The plotter doesn't know the difference between a pen and a suction tube.
    Just move to a position, pen down, release vacuum, pen up and go suck up another part. Component orientation and alignment mechanism at pickup station.
    If it writes with solder paste instead of ink it won't be none the wiser either.
    If one of the pens is a TV camera so be it.
    Making full use of original DMPL/HPGL language through 1 serial port.
    That leaves a parallel prot to manupulate the parts feeders etc.
    Custom software in VB.
    Only thing missing is the hot air gun 'PEN'. It might melt some of the plastic!
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.