584,812 active members*
5,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3/16" AL with Hypertherm Powermax 1000

I was wondering if anybody cut 3/16 AL and special if you use the fine cut kit. Hypertherm does not gives values for cutting with this. I wish I could afford to try test cuts So tips, amps, feed besides what hypertherm gives would be a big help.

Thank you

yeh i will have to get back to work to see if i have the notes written down

The Hypertherm FineCut consumables work quite well on aluminum....although they should be cleaned periodically as aluminum oxide spatter will build up on the face of the nozzle....which can cause short life/poor quality. Follow the specifications for cutting carbon steel...but reduce the speed 25% to 50%....be careful to maintain recommended pierce height and cutting height....try not to drag the nozzle on the plate...and do not exceed the max recommended Amperage! I recommend using the ohmic shield...as this shield extends slightly lower than the nozzle and keeps the nozzle from contacting the plate. You can find the correct part numbers here: http://www.hypertherm.com/languages/english/finecut.php

Jim Colt

I posted earlier...bu it did not seem to go through..

The Fine Cut consumables will work quite well on aluminum. Follow the specifications for cutting steel....but adjust the speed slower by 25 to 50%. Make sure that your pierce hight and cut height are as recomended for steel.....andI would suggest using the ohmic shield as it helps to keep the nozzle from contacting the aluminum. The nozzle will need to be wiped off periodically as it will pick up aluminum oxide. You can get the part number for the ohmic shield here: http://www.hypertherm.com/languages/english/finecut.php

Jim Colt

Thank you .... I will try

jimcolt,

I hadn't thought about using the Finecut ohmic shields to keep from dragging nozzles. Cool idea. Thanks.

Wouldn't that prevent the floating head to work properly ???????

If you have a machine with a "floating head" or plate rider style THC....it should not have any noticeable effect. The ohmic shield for the FineCut consumables only extends about .015"or so past the nozzle.

Jim