585,930 active members*
3,603 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

11x27 Precision Matthews Lathe

Hi
    I am considering purchasing the above lathe and was hoping someone has some experience with it and can tell me about it.

Can it cut both directions or toward the headstock only? Is it a good machine?

Anyhelp would be great!!

Thanks
    Walt

Well since nobody is speaking up, I guess I will turn this into a "tell people about a Precision Matthews 11x27" I ordered it this morning should be here next week!!

Walt

Walt,

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I'm afraid I would not have been much help anyway.
    I am still learning, and I have no experience with any other lathes to compare it to.

If you want to see some pictures of the one I got (purchased it March '07)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=30843&page=3

I plan to revive this thread soon, I have been very busy this last year. (eek I have some apologizing to do) been awhile since I posted there.
    I just recently got the thing leveled properly, and started taking some heavy cuts in aluminum.

One thing you might do is find yourself a replacement fuse or two now before your in the middle of something and have it blow.
    I just recently had this happen, and unfortunately I was unable to find one locally. So now I am waiting for some replacements from digikey.

If you have any specific questions you would like to ask, or if you want me to go measure something, or whatever - feel free.

I think mine will make a fine cnc retrofit some day.
    Glad to see someone else with one now!
    Keep us posted

-

Andy

Thanks for the reply, checked out your thread also, nice pics!
    What kind of fuse is it so I can look around for one before it gets here?

Walt

The fuse on mine is 5x20mm 15A.
    I ordered http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=283-2836-ND
    Unfortunately they have a 5 dollar handling fee if your order is under $25.

-

Andy

Hurray!!

It got here Friday, so I spent the afternoon and part of Saturday getting it set up. It is a very solid and nice looking lathe. The only thing that I noticed right off the bat is that when you loosen or move the tailstock, it seems that when you tighten it back down and start to cut a new part it is not zero'd. It cuts a taper. Is there anything I can do to it so I will not have to realign the tailstock every time?

When I first turned the lathe on, I also had the same problem as Thazul, within five minutes of it running, it blew a fuse. It did however come with a spare and I have since used the lathe for probably 10 hours with no further fuse problems.

All in all I am very pleased with my purchase, seems to be a pretty good lathe for the price, the gears are all metal, and they are nicely made not rough like some other machines that I have had or looked at.

Hopefully someone will chime in about the tailstock problem as this could be a big PITA!!

Hope to here from you all!

Walt

OK! I used it all day today, still had to indicate in the tailstock when I had to move it but aside from that things went well. That is until 5 minutes ago!!

I was cutting away, and all of a sudden it shut off. I assumedI blew another fuse, but come to find out, the fuse holder itself broke in half and the fuse fell out into the control box. I thought I had a blown fuse so I tried to open the fuse holder but the cap would not come off. That was becuase it had no fuse pushing back on it. I kept turning the screw and nothing.

I removed the 4 screws that hold the panel cover on and pulled the panel back and the fuse was laying at the bottom, the fuse holder base was broke off dangling by a wire. So I guess it is off to Radio Shack in the morning to purchase a new holder, and hopefully they will have some extra fuses to.

Don't get me wrong, aside from these few little things, this seems to be a great lathe. It cuts great, smooth and very quiet!! I will email or call the place I bought it tommorow and see what they have to say about it.

Will update when I know more.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by wdp67 View Post
    <<SNIP>>
    Don't get me wrong, aside from these few little things, this seems to be a great lathe. It cuts great, smooth and very quiet!! I will email or call the place I bought it tommorow and see what they have to say about it.

Will update when I know more.

Walt
    Walt: I have a PM-45M Mill and PM 11x27 Lathe on order.
    How did your story end? Did you ever get the tail stock
    problem figured out?

That is a very nice looking lathe that should be capable of anything you throw at it.

It appears from pictures I have found online that this is a flat bed lathe. In that case if it is anything like my 6x12 craftsmen the tailstock should have gibs that expand between the bed of the lathe to help with your tailstock alignment problem. Look for set screws near the base.

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by wdp67 View Post
    Is there anything I can do to it so I will not have to realign the tailstock every time?
    Check your alignment. The bed must be level from headstock to tailstock AND level from front way to rear. Any twist or taper can give alignment problems with tailstock and tapers.