585,962 active members*
3,907 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4th axis power issue

When i bought my sx3, it came without the 4th axis, they shipped it seperatly without instructions. I copied the wiring diagram from the other steppers and hooked it up... Boom one power source blown.

Of course Syil shipped me another power source immediatly, but i was reluctant to try the axis again believing that something was wrong with the stepper and i couldn't afford to be down again.

Well recently i got brave, and added my fouth axis again. this time i tested iton the x axis first and it ran fine but when i hooked it up to its own indvidual power source it acted like it was starving for power. Am i hooking up the leads wrong? it works with three power sources but not 4 for some reason.

position 1 is where i hooked the blue wire for the fourth axis and 2 is the red wire position.

Any ideas?
    I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause i don't like you cause you are not like me.

Exclamation NO DON'T PUT IT THERE!

Put the negative with one of the other blue ones, and the positive with one of the other red/orange ones.
    Ther are THREE output negatives and three output positives.
    Your fourth axis has to paralleled with either the X,Y or Z power.
    You connected to the current sense connections, and blew up the current sense resistors. That's why they are marked S+ and S-.
    Do not connect to S+ and S-.
    On the stepper driver turn the adjustment fully clockwise before applying power.
    Follow the super Driver Manual page 6 to adjust the current.
    If in doubt ask more questions.
    When you move th axis, if it is acting like it is starving for power, ie missing stepps or growling, increase the current by turning the adjustment slowly CCW.
    Make sure your motor tuning setup is roughly similar to the X or Y axis setup.

I installed mine yesterday. Switch 3 down, the rest up.
    Motor tuning first entry 1000, then 1200, then 1200 should work.
    Don't forget to hit SAVE before you exit the screen.
    Eventually my second box reads 2000.
    Can't remember name of boxes.
    If you are using 25KHZ then these settings will differ.
    I am using 45KHZ.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thank you, i have absolutely no documentation opn where to install the power leads. this helps a ton!

Thanks!
    I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause i don't like you cause you are not like me.