584,837 active members*
5,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Is there a BOOK on this????
Page 1 of 2 12

Is there a BOOK on this????

I don't have hours on end to sit and watch videos, is there a book or PDF that I can download and print. It would save me hours.

I have yet to be able to make a part and cut that part using Dolphin, not mad just frustrated. The videos are not very noobish.

edit - I have Part Master 2 cad/cam

Smitty

Videos links don't work

Ok I spent the last two hours trying to find out something simple like how to change the dimensions on a part. Still looking.

I watch several video and could hardly understand it due to the accent.

The links on http://www.dolphincadcamusa.com/Tutorials.html don't work, so that was out.

How about the Dolphin for Dummies book.

Thanks

Smitty

Yes Smitty there should be a .pdf manual that came with your package. Did you get the Dolphin Partmaster CD via mail?

Also, we can make customer videos for yourself, let me know any way I can help.

Smitty911 - Have you tried to contact Dolphin CAD/CAM Support at all directly? You can always email them at [email protected] and I am sure they will be glad to help. Also I am not sure if you have checked, but the help files have everything you can think of and can be printed out as well. There is also a Manual located on the CD that is not in the Download. There was a CD that was mailed out to you and if you haven't recieved it I am sorry and we will ship another right away. Please just let us know and we will be glad to help.

P.S. We didn't realize that the videos weren't working properly and will get that fixed and worked out.

PDF

Chad,

Thanks I recieved one CD, after looking though it I found a PDF about 5 layers down in a file folder. It seemed to be the one based on video. Didn't really help. I'll take it to work and look though it some more.

I'll also contact support and see what they suggest.

Thanks

Smitty

You might want to start re-doing the documentation.

Ok, your website links this as the support forum. So here is the support I need.

1. I have watched all the Milling Videos.

a. When I go to draw my part, I clink on the dimension tool Horizontal and click the line. I move the line up so I can read the dimension box and it places a value in there for how long the line is.

b. I want to change the length of that line to an exact number, How on God's Green Earth do you do that?

c. How do change any angle, I'm sure it's like the above.

2. I went into the Geo Editor, why would I draw my part in CAD and than re-draw it in the Geo Editor to fix the dimensions from straight XY coordinates. That I don't have a firm grasp of and the reason I bought a CAD package.

3. I'll cover the CAM portion once I have a CAD part.

This may be the best software with the most capabilities on earth, but if the documentation and videos don't cover it well, than it won't matter.

FYI - If DolphinUSA wants to sell more of this software to hobby users and manufacturing people, someone might want to do a better job of documentation. I looked up dimension in all variations on how to do the above.

Sorry for the TONE, I'm almost 20 hours into this and still can't do what I need. Frustration levels are high.

Smitty

Here's the part.

I have attached a PDF of the part I'm attempting to make and get cut.

If someone, at this point anyone can walk me though it I would be eternally gratefull. That just means I can't afford to pay for your help. LOL

I have also included a photo of the part that I made in Alibre, output to MeshCam and Cut. I made a mistake and scrapped the part. I would like to just cut the outline and than turn the part over and cut the remaining material and allowing the part to fall out.

Feel free to contact me, e-mail, PM, etc.

Smitty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100B5621.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Still Waiting

Dolphin Support, Chad, et al,

I am still waiting to hear from someone regarding the questions I have asked. No e-mail, no pm's, no phone call, etc.

I've sent an additional e-mail, played with this thing, I have imported a DXF from Alibre, still nothing, no video has been supplied that was offered.

How hard should this process be? I get MeshCam to make tool paths, I can get CAMBAM to make tool paths.

Should someone be responding? This is the Dolphin Forum, right?

If this is the level of support that I should expect, please let me know now and I'll quit wasting my time with Dolphin.

Thanks Wes for the help you provided, that was of value.

I guess I could go in "Squeaky wheel" mode, but would prefer to have a solution.

Smitty

John,

I have emailed to you the info on the parametric stuff that you were asking for including a video. I hope that this helps. I will also send a simple video of creating toolpath, machining and post processing by Wednesday.

Chad

Thanks

Thanks Chad,

Hopefully it will solve/explain how to do what I need it to.

Looking forward to reviewing it.

Thanks

Smitty

Progress

Well after about three more hours of just getting the contours outlined correctly and few other areas. I may have figured the first steps out. There still seem to be some issues in how a files is opened.

CAD - Opened it and it stayed in Inches
    CAM - Opened it and it changed to MM

Figured that out, maybe, we'll see.

Had to remove all the drawing lines from the templated,, leaving only the lines I wanted.

Attempted to set the NC at 0,0,0 not sure if that is being picked up yet.

Made the two contours, One that goes around the outside of the part. The other one should go around the INSIDE of the Hole. Couldn't find where to change that so It became a Pocket instead.

I may be on the right, but slow track now.

The video should be here some time today. This should show me if I'm doing it correctly.

Smitty

documintation

i agree the documintaion is bad noting really explains what stuff is your just blindly guessing half the time

On the CAD side, once you've got your lines drawn click Draw up the top, select Curve and make sure the NC button (on Left side of screen) is depressed.

Then selecting your lines, tell the system that the shape is closed. once you've clicked on them and named them (like In01, Out01 etc) hit the Mcahining (or milling) button up the top- it'll import it to the CAM system. You can then tell it to GoRound or Pocket the shapes you made.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I was very confused when I started using Dolphin as well. I picked up the phone and called right away. I had videos emailed to me demonstrating exactly what I wanted to know. I think I have had 3-4 videos emailed to me demonstrating certain things and how they are done. They were customized to my specific needs too. After I got thru that, things were much easier. Now I can fly around in Dolphin and have parts ready to be made in no time flat.

Just stick it out, you will like it. My best advice is, if you get stuck, call them and talk to them. They will get you thru the issues.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    I was very confused when I started using Dolphin as well. I picked up the phone and called right away. I had videos emailed to me demonstrating exactly what I wanted to know. I think I have had 3-4 videos emailed to me demonstrating certain things and how they are done. They were customized to my specific needs too. After I got thru that, things were much easier. Now I can fly around in Dolphin and have parts ready to be made in no time flat.

Just stick it out, you will like it. My best advice is, if you get stuck, call them and talk to them. They will get you thru the issues.

Wade
    I gave up on Dolphin. They promised me a video on how to do raised text more than two months ago. I called on the phone twice and sent about 4 e mails Never got it. And still have never been able to make one part using this software. I feel I have wasted my money.

Just my 2 sense

At first the cad seemed to be a bit tricky. After recieving support on a few questions, I seem to get by very easy with the software. It does the job very well for me just like wwendorf. I would reccomend to stick with it as well as you'll learn to love it.

Thumbs up Thanks for the advice.

Break-down to date.
    1-14-08 Deleted Dolphin from home computer, installed it at work, so it was with my Mill. Didn't want to break any Lisc agreements.

1-16-08 Asked for Instruction on how to change lengths and angles on drawing.

1-17-08 Found PDF instruction that don't explain the fixes. Offered to upgrade to V10 for a small cost.

1-17-08 Offered video on how to do what I asked above.

1-19-08 Watch all the video on the disk. Still no answer to changing line lengths or angle. No success in making g-code to cut something.

1-21-08 More attempts at getting something done. I placed a Photo of the part I want cut and the DXF up to see if they would make the video on the steps necassary to get it done.

2-4-08 Additional post requesting support,

2-4-08 E-mail recieved from support with a video. Video did not provide a solution.

2-6-08 I was able to EXPORT at DXF file from ALIBRE CAD and open in Dolphin and make some contours. Unable to Post Process due to removing it from home and reinstalling it at work. Still down

2-7-08 Paid additional money to get up-graded to V10, yes I'm a sucker for punishment. Spoke with Rodney about getting Activation code. He said the disk would be in the mail on the 9th.

2-8-08 9:00 Called and Spoke with Chad about getting my Activation Code. I moved the software to my work computer and didn't want to violate EUA.

2-8-08 3:30 Still no Activation Code. How long is this process?? Called again and phone was out of order. Geez, I hope you don't have a VoIP line.

Anyway based on the above, i'm not sure what else I'm expected to do. No videos of the part I'm attempting to make have shown up. No Phone calls, or e-mail walking me though the process.

I purchased this package cause of the support they offered and easy to use CAM. Well I've seen neither.

Outside of putting the CD with my AOL collection, what would you suggest.

Smitty

P.S. was frustrated, now getting pissed.

I feel your pain. But this post will most likely be deleted like mine was. I don`t think they allow negative comments about their software and lack of support.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty911 View Post
    Break-down to date.
    1-14-08 Deleted Dolphin from home computer, installed it at work, so it was with my Mill. Didn't want to break any Lisc agreements.

1-16-08 Asked for Instruction on how to change lengths and angles on drawing.

1-17-08 Found PDF instruction that don't explain the fixes. Offered to upgrade to V10 for a small cost.

1-17-08 Offered video on how to do what I asked above.

1-19-08 Watch all the video on the disk. Still no answer to changing line lengths or angle. No success in making g-code to cut something.

1-21-08 More attempts at getting something done. I placed a Photo of the part I want cut and the DXF up to see if they would make the video on the steps necassary to get it done.

2-4-08 Additional post requesting support,

2-4-08 E-mail recieved from support with a video. Video did not provide a solution.

2-6-08 I was able to EXPORT at DXF file from ALIBRE CAD and open in Dolphin and make some contours. Unable to Post Process due to removing it from home and reinstalling it at work. Still down

2-7-08 Paid additional money to get up-graded to V10, yes I'm a sucker for punishment. Spoke with Rodney about getting Activation code. He said the disk would be in the mail on the 9th.

2-8-08 9:00 Called and Spoke with Chad about getting my Activation Code. I moved the software to my work computer and didn't want to violate EUA.

2-8-08 3:30 Still no Activation Code. How long is this process?? Called again and phone was out of order. Geez, I hope you don't have a VoIP line.

Anyway based on the above, i'm not sure what else I'm expected to do. No videos of the part I'm attempting to make have shown up. No Phone calls, or e-mail walking me though the process.

I purchased this package cause of the support they offered and easy to use CAM. Well I've seen neither.

Outside of putting the CD with my AOL collection, what would you suggest.

Smitty

P.S. was frustrated, now getting pissed.

Should that happen

Astroguy,

I have had a couple of phone calls with Chad, no solutions yet. I purchased the upgrade from Rodney.

I am a paying client and these issues should be easily resolved in a timely manner.

The problems don't define a company, how they handle the problems do.

If it's deleted, I'm sure I will be calling my CC company for a refund and sending all their disk back to them.

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 12