585,602 active members*
3,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 15 910111213
    Vince,

Have the rubber seals gotten stiff?

Kirk, http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop

I went hang gliding Saturday and took Sunday off. Today I picked up all the O-rings for the collet closer valve. Tomorrow morning I should have them replaced and hopefully tested (and working).

Vince

The new O-rings did the trick. The valve works like it should. Now I am not so sure about the collet closer. When the open valve is open, there is a lot of air leakage from the closer. With the open valve closed and the close valve open, there is no air leak. I guess I can leave it in the closed position all the time when not in use, or I could try to take it apart. I still have to write a brain in Mach and add a couple of buttons to the screen designer to run the closer.

The sheet metal shop said they would start on my enclosure this week. That means several weeks of painting and assembly.

While I have been waiting for parts and things I have started work on an enclosure for my Taig lathe, (which I converted to CNC last year). It is an aquarium stand with a sheet metal top. I have already bent the Lexan plastic cover. Did you know you can bend Lexan in a press brake cold? I will add a monitor on an arm and put the computer in the stand. All the electronics will go in the stand as well as the motor. It's something to keep me busy and as you can see, I can keep it in the dining room next to my wife’s aquarium.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cabinet.jpg  

Hello Vince,

My closer does the same thing. It leaks a little with the collet clamped and more with the collet unclamped. I haven't bothered to figure in out yet. It may be normal. The slip fit between the bearing body and the collet puller tube is the seal for the bearing body. The couple of thousandths clearance will leak air, but I would think the same amount both ways. Unless the air pressure is significantly different for opening, or if there is another leak source for the open mode. If I plan to have the machine sit idle for a while I just unplug the feed lines or turn off the main air valve. I have been trying to think of a seal that might work better than the slip fit, such as plastic piston rings, but I don't think any positive seal can live at tens of pounds air pressure with a 1.5 " diameter spinning at 3000 RPM day in day out.

Quote Originally Posted by kirk_wallace View Post
    Hello Vince,

My closer does the same thing. It leaks a little with the collet clamped and more with the collet unclamped.
    The reason it leaks more unclamped is the air to that side is unregulated so you get the full pressure of the air after the main regulator. When it is clamped, the air goes through the collet closer regulator after leaving the valve. I would guess if you turned up the closer regulator all the way it would probably leak the same. I am guessing they all leak some, due to the fact that the closer has to rotate and it would be difficult to get it to seal completely.

Vince

The sheet metal shop finished my enclosure parts. Now I have to drill over 100 holes and fit it all together. I will also need to weld on my rails for the sliding doors and some other brackets. The sheet metal is galvanized so I have to be careful welding. I have a full welding hood with supplied air so that should keep the toxic fumes out of my lungs.

This morning I worked for a bit on programming the collet closer to operate from Mach. I could not believe it, but my mind drew a complete blank on how I need to send the code with a brain. I did it with the coolant pump, but I forgot what I did there. I will have to go back through my coolant pump program and some of my notes.

I will not have time to do much Friday or Saturday. I head up to go hang gliding Friday after work and come back Saturday night.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enclosure1.jpg   enclosure2.jpg  

I spent Friday afternoon traveling to go hang gliding, Saturday was hang gliding day and Sunday was honeydo day. This morning I got started on the enclosure. I will take another day or two to get it assembled, then I will take it apart and paint it. I only have 75 more holes to drill. I really don't like painting, especially something this big, but it's part of the project. I still have to weld on the bracket to hold my sliding doors. The enclosure does not have that space bubble look, or that fancy computer of the future look, but it will keep the mess inside.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails side1.jpg   threeside.jpg   fourside.jpg  

I know it does not look much different in the picture, but I finished bolting together the enclosure. Friday I will take it apart and bring the front and back home so I can weld the door slide brackets. Once welded, I can start the painting.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bolted enclosure.jpg  

I brought home the front and back panels so I could weld the L brackets on them that support the doors. I also machined some Delrin for the door tracks. It looks like I will have to start painting this weekend.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   Back.jpg  

I was supposed to travel this weekend, but the weather here in the west put a damper on it. Now I have time to paint my enclosure. One of the reasons I was not looking forward to painting it was the pieces are large and I did not have the room. With me staying in town, I can paint it at work while we are shut down for the holiday. With no one there, I can take up the room required to paint. Today I was able to apply two coats of primer. Tomorrow I will put on the first of three finish coats.

Yesterday while welding the door rail brackets, I wore a short sleeve shirt. I forgot about the UV. Now I have a sunburn on both arms, the first time in many years.

While I was waiting for the first coat to dry, I worked on some air lines. I installed the bulkhead fittings for the collet closer. They should be 90 degree, but I was only able to find straights. I also connected the air lines from the machine casting to the spindle lock. Since the stand was from a HNC, there is no valve to control the spindle lock. I will watch eBay for a three way solenoid valve.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails primer1.jpg   primer2.jpg   primer3.jpg   spindle lock.jpg  

air lines.jpg  

Still looking great. Now we just need to see some chips:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Guldberg View Post
    Still looking great. Now we just need to see some chips:-)
    I really want to make chips. I have been ready for about three weeks. But I want to wait until I get everything that needs paint installed. I also have several small areas to touch up. Once I start making chips, I will have a hard time getting paint to stick.

Vince

I have 4 coats of paint now. I think that will do. Some areas in the pictures look unpainted, but those are where the tracks for the sliding doors will go.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paint1.jpg   paint2.jpg  

I made some sliding door tracks out of Delrin. I used RTV to glue them to the supports I welded in earlier. The paint was dry enough for me to install the finished enclosure. I also installed a light on the top. I have spent a couple of hours every day this week working on the enclouser.

I received a quote for the Lexan doors and windows, $300. If I had a table saw I could save a little cutting them myself, but I sold my table saw to make room for my mill.

I think the next important step before I start making chips is to make a cover for the X axis. I don't want to get chips in the works there.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enclosure5.jpg   track.jpg   track2.jpg   light.jpg  

While I was out today, I was able to drive by and pick up the plastic pieces for the doors and windows. In the pictures, the protective cover is still on the doors. I will remove it when I get the lathe home.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front door.jpg   rear door.jpg  

Wow this project is quite impressive.
    I have a Hurco verticle mill that is computer dead, but the iron is very good
    and very heavy. I intend to convert. I am new to this thread , who,s gear did you choose for your brideport conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by cadman@teluspla View Post
    Wow this project is quite impressive.
    I have a Hurco verticle mill that is computer dead, but the iron is very good
    and very heavy. I intend to convert. I am new to this thread , who,s gear did you choose for your brideport conversion.
    You can see the Bridgeport conversion here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18178
    I made all my own hardware and used Gecko 320's for my rebuilt servo motors.

Vince

That enclosure looks fantastic - your build just gets better and better!

I found some door handles and installed them. I also installed the right side window.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front handles.jpg   end window.jpg   rear handles.jpg  

This morning I installed the left side window and re-installed the monitor/keyboard mount. Now I have to take the mount apart and paint the keyboard tray and mount support. I should have painted it when I painted the enclosure, Oh well. I also have to figure out how to permanently route the monitor and keyboard wires. They may not be long enough.
    Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails left window.jpg   monitor.jpg  

Page 11 of 15 910111213