584,829 active members*
5,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 15 of 15 5131415
    I talked with Duane and the Mac factory this morning. Duane has an Omni-turn retro fit with a Mac valve for his collet closer. His valve is a double solenoid model. The factory rep said for my application, I really did not need the double solenoid and could go with a single solenoid. The advantage for the double solenoid would be:
    1. It would be a direct replacement for the original Hardinge valve
    2. You would not need to hold the solenoid open the entire time you wanted the closer closed, the double solenoid model has momentary solenoids.
    Disadvantage is they leak a lot more.
    The advantage for the single solenoid valve is it seals better and is about half the price.
    The disadvantage for the single solenoid valve is it has to be energized the entire time you want the collet closed, and it gets hotter because of this. There is a modification they do to the valve if it will be used continually energize and that is using grease to seal it instead of oil. In my application it should not be energize for long periods of time since I do not do production work. The part number for the valve I ordered is:
    45A-AA1-DAAJ-1KA and price was $35.50 plus shipping. Mac does not sell direct, you have to go through a distributor. If you want the high temperature modification to the valve you add MOD 0449 to the end of the part number. It should get here Monday. Right now I am out of outputs so I will need to get my smooth stepper or Pokeys working and also write a macro to control the collet closer. I will post when I get something working.

Vince

M6 macro

I forgot to post the macro that is controlling the tool change:

'START OF CODE
    '////MOVE THE MACHINE FOR TOOLCHANGE////
    Code ("G53 G00 Z-0.200")'Move Z to position

While IsMoving() ' Wait for machine to stop
    SLEEP(250)'Slow down cycle time for CPU resources
    Wend

'MsgBox "Machine finished moving"

'//GET SET TOOL////
    tool = GetSelectedTool() 'Gettool
    SetCurrentTool( tool )'Set tool

Call SetUserDRO(2000,tool)'Activate Brain

'///Time wait for INPUT1
    i=0'Reset timmer

Do 'Run timmer

SLEEP(500)'timmer 1/2 second intervals

i= i+1'increment

If (IsActive(INPUT1)) Or GetOEMLED(800) Then'INPUT is active

Exit Do 'exit function Continue

ELSEIf i>8 Then'if we have reached 4 seconds

'///Message box////
    msg = "Please reseat tool and continue?" ' Define message
    title = "Tool Changer" ' Define title
    buttons = 1

response = MsgBox(msg,buttons, title)'Display message box

'///Responce was YES
    If response = 1 Then' User chose Yes.

'OK has been pressed continue

Else'///Responce was NO

DoOEMButton(1021)'Estop system

End If'exit message

Exit Do 'exit function

End If 'INPUT ACTIVE

Loop

'END OF CODE

The Brain looks like this:
    OEMDRO:2000->No Operation Pass Signal->MOD:0-P16

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by N4NV View Post
    I talked with Duane and the Mac factory this morning. Duane has an Omni-turn retro fit with a Mac valve for his collet closer. His valve is a double solenoid model. The factory rep said for my application, I really did not need the double solenoid and could go with a single solenoid. ...
    You need full reverse air pressure for a moment to unstick the collet on openning. I don't see how this can be done with a single solenoid. You need regulated air pressure for closing. Am I wrong??

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    You need full reverse air pressure for a moment to unstick the collet on openning. I don't see how this can be done with a single solenoid. You need regulated air pressure for closing. Am I wrong??

Karl
    Looking at the diagram of the two valves on the Mac website, internally, they have the same operation. The only difference is that one has a spring return and the other has a solenoid return. When the the valve changes positions, the air pressure changes to the other line which would give pressurized air to open the collet. It does not just vent to the atmosphere. Here is the PDF link for the valve:
    http://www.macvalves.com/products/Fo...mall/45/45.pdf
    On page 3 of 18 is the valve I ordered. As soon as I get it installed I will let you know if it works.

Vince

MAC valve

I received my MAC valves today (I ordered a second one to control the spindle lock). I installed the one for the collet closer and it works great on just a single input. I did find out that I have two air leaks. One at the collet closer pressure gauge and one in the collet closer itself. Is the collet closer supposed to be air tight or do they purposely let some air leak out to get lubrication to it? It's quite a bit of air. In the open position there is almost no leakage (it comes out the exhaust port of the MAC valve) but in the close position it is much more than the calibrated leak in the turret.

Vince

I ordered and received enough O-rings from Hardinge to rebuild the collet closer. You can see the process in the pictures below. When taking the piston housing apart, use a little compressed air in the port to separate the housing. Don't use much or you may blow it across the shop. There was nothing too special about replacing the o-rings. While I had it apart I took the time to polish the housing. Because of the design of the collet closure there will always be air leakage. The part of the closer that has the inlet and outlet tubes does not have any o-rings as seen in the 4th picture. The only thing that seals it is the oil in the air lines so you will always have an air lead through the MAC valve as well as air leaking around the shaft of the closer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Piston.jpg   housing.jpg   end.jpg   bearings.jpg  

installed.jpg  

Chuck out of parallel

When I got my CHNC I started looking for some chucks for it. So far I have only found one, a 6 jaw. I have had it for almost as long as the lathe and up until a few weeks ago, I did not have a chance to use it. When I did start using it I found that it was badly out of parallel with the lathe bed. I check with some collets showed that the headstock was parallel to the lathe bed and the chuck as definitely out of skew.

I posted my predicament over at the Practical Machinist and received a lot of answers, a couple of them useful. Here is that thread:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=175951

Here is the link to the site that showed how to grind the jaws:

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/new...04.html#truing

I took the advise of JST and went to a web link he posted. I followed the instructions about mounting a pencil die grinder to do the grinding. I cut 6 identical pieces of Delrin and put them between the jaws and tightened them. I did not need a ring. I ordered a cheap pencil die grinder (56,000 rpm) from eBay $25 plus shipping. The die grinder was 5/8" OD which fit perfectly into my turret tool holder on my CHNC. I ran the grinder back and forth about 20 times an removed about .0015" total. I installed the test bar again and get +-.00015" at the chuck face and +-.00015" 6" from the face with two different test bars. See the attached picture for the set up. Now that I have seen how well this works, I will not hesitate to do it again if I ever get another chuck with this problem.

Vince
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grinding_chuck.jpg  

Limit Switches

Hi Vince,

Looks like you've done a really nice job on your Hardinge. We retrofitted an HNC last year had trouble using the Hall effect limit switches with our setup. Our frustration was to the point we changed to mechanical switches and moved on. We are building another HNC with PMDX BOBs and we would like to use the existing limit switches. If it's not to much trouble, could you give us a rundown of how those are wired in?

Thanks in advance, Adam

Quote Originally Posted by agwelder View Post
    Hi Vince,

Looks like you've done a really nice job on your Hardinge. We retrofitted an HNC last year had trouble using the Hall effect limit switches with our setup. Our frustration was to the point we changed to mechanical switches and moved on. We are building another HNC with PMDX BOBs and we would like to use the existing limit switches. If it's not to much trouble, could you give us a rundown of how those are wired in?

Thanks in advance, Adam
    The sensors are really easy to hook up to the PMDX board. The black wire from the sensor goes to the ground of the PMDX, the red wire connects to the +5 auxout, and the white (signal wire) terminates on the input you want to use, pin 15, 13 etc. No need for pull up resistors. They can also be paralleled without any problem. All of my Hall switches are paralleled on each axis.

Vince

I've just come across this thread, and have read through all 25 pages. I admire your deication, and I especially appreciate you taking the time to post so regularly. Nice work!!!!

Yeah, this was a cool thread.

Vince, do you still have the lathe and is it working well for you?

Best,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    Yeah, this was a cool thread.

Vince, do you still have the lathe and is it working well for you?

Best,

BW
    Thanks for the kind words. I still have a lot I want to do, but at least I can use the lathe now.

Vince

N4NV-

I tried to PM you, but it bounced. said something about storage space full....

Anyway, mabie you will see this-

I sent you a PM on youtube a few hours ago. Then I found this thread and reckognised the blue paint...

I would love it if you could give me your email addy so I can pick your brain.

In particular, I am very interested in-

Cubloc PN.
    Hall effect sensor PN's and source
    Resistor wattage and values (for between the Hall effect sensors)
    CAD drawing that you used for the turret encoder base plate.
    Copies of the functional Brains/ladders/scripts

I would love to duplicate your turret encoder and how you make it work with mach and the cubloc.

I am already running Mach3 and a Smooth Stepper with a C11 (IIRC) BOB.

I would be happy to pay for your time, trade something, whatever. I love my CHNC, but not having the tool turret functional is driving me nuts.

Hope to hear back from you...

Best,
    Nate.
    [email protected]
    Nate.
    Ann Arbor Meechigan

Red face Wow!

Wow, I must say vince, I just spent the last 5 hours reading through this entire thread. You sir are a gentleman!

There were so many questions that I had when I first bought my 2 CHNC-2 lathes on thursday, i pick them up tuesday! And because of your detailed intructions and explanations, my conversions will go fairly quick (im thinking 2-3 weeks). I will be working on them 12 hours a day 5 days a week. But I don't think I will completely strip mine as you did, mine were takin out of a job shop, one has a fanuc, and the other doesnt have the controller. They are both in pretty good shape, one is complete and the drive went out, the other is kinda in pieces . But the complete one has a parts shute, which will be awesome to integrate.

After reading your thread, I have decided to just mount a digital microstepping stepper on the turret instead of the air motor. It seems to me that you and many others had to much issues with it. I did read read on another persons post that they could not get the stepper motor to work well with the turret because of the degree error. I don't think he was microstepping the motor, he had mentioned that he was getting 1.5 degree positional error, which is really high if he was microstepping.

I understand that tool changes won't be fast, but they should work. And they should be very accurate especially when I microstep them.

I know there is not a lot of room in the carriage for the stepper motor, so I will be modifing the mounts and extrending the shaft with the worm gear to get the desired movement and clearance.

For the x and z, I will have keling servos on them, I absolutely love the job u did on modifying the existing resolvers on the ball screw to give great feedback. I have 1000 ppr encoders that I will be adding on.

I will add to your thread by showing my conversion with pics and videos as well!

Thank you so much VINCE!!!!

Mike

Hi, I have an old hardinge CHNC4. I am having problem with collet closer. there was alot of air leakage so I replaced air with Hydrolic system. Now I have problem that the oil leaks so i am going to replace to bearing with rubber seal bearing.

1.Please can you tell me what is the part number for the rubber seals ?
    2.does that package also contains the rubber seal for turret assembly?
    3.Do you think it is good idea to replace air with hydrolic?

thanks

Still making parts, good tooling

I found getting larger tooling and machining it down to 3/8" lets me get much better tooling than what is available in 3/8" tooling. Here are a couple videos of making parts with the new tooling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiLgEWs6jsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdLKHxxH15E

Vince

Re: Still making parts, good tooling

I didn't know, but all this time I could do threading. All I needed was the correct G-code.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpqwuGcAQk0

Vince

Re: Hardinge CHNC conversion

Quote Originally Posted by kirk_wallace View Post
    The chips on the encoder are probably not available anymore, but there is a modern version. I can try to replace them for you. If there are enough people that need this encoder board, I can make a batch of new ones.

Have you cleaned and inspected the valve body and pneumatic delay on the motor/raise circuit? I'm trying to remember how my setup worked without the turret on, although I think I waited until it was all together. I think there should be a fair amount of air leaking, in the normal state to hold the turret down. When the solenoid gets activated, the hold-down air should stop and the up air and motor should start. I think there should be enough pressure to run the motor and the leak, but if not, I would try to stop the leak with my finger, no scratch that, something to plug the up air port. Another thing comes to mind, does the coil resistance on both solenoids match? Also, I seem to recall the aluminum cap with the electrical terminals, unscrews to reveal a disk with a small orifice under it which might be plugged. I can post a picture, if needed.

Your limit sensors short the sensor output wire to the sensor ground when activated. With only the sensor output tied to the IO board, the sensor shorts the voltage that is on the input to the sensor ground. The sensor ground needs to be tied to the IO board input ground to complete the circuit. Plus, normally an input doesn't have any voltage on it, so if you short the input to ground, nothing happens. To make this work, you need to tie the IO board's input supply (+5 V ?) to a resistor (2k Ohms ?) to the input. This brings the voltage on the input up. When the sensor activates it shorts it to ground or 0 V. Sometimes the IO board will have a pull up feature on the board to do this. When the IO board is powered up, can you see any voltage on the unconnected inputs?

I don't know anything about a Cubloc, but my wild guess here is that Mach and the Cubloc exchange a signal called a "charge pump", or I prefer "watchdog". It is a periodic pulse that is like the two saying to each other "are you there" ... "I'm here". Mach and Cubloc may check to see if the signal is valid and if not, they assume something is wrong and go into e-stop or shutdown. This may be another signal that needs to go through your IO board.

Kirk, Kirk Wallace's Machine Shop
    Hi, Kirk. Are you still around on this forum? I'm looking for info that might help in fixing my CHNC2 turret encoder.

Re: Hardinge CHNC conversion

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    N4NV-

I tried to PM you, but it bounced. said something about storage space full....

Anyway, mabie you will see this-

I sent you a PM on youtube a few hours ago. Then I found this thread and reckognised the blue paint...

I would love it if you could give me your email addy so I can pick your brain.

In particular, I am very interested in-

Cubloc PN.
    Hall effect sensor PN's and source
    Resistor wattage and values (for between the Hall effect sensors)
    CAD drawing that you used for the turret encoder base plate.
    Copies of the functional Brains/ladders/scripts

I would love to duplicate your turret encoder and how you make it work with mach and the cubloc.

I am already running Mach3 and a Smooth Stepper with a C11 (IIRC) BOB.

I would be happy to pay for your time, trade something, whatever. I love my CHNC, but not having the tool turret functional is driving me nuts.

Hope to hear back from you...

Best,
    Nate.
    [email protected]
    Hi Nate. Did you ever end up with any info for your issues? I have a bad CHNC2 encoder that I'm trying to solve too.

Re: Still making parts, good tooling

Quote Originally Posted by N4NV View Post
    I didn't know, but all this time I could do threading. All I needed was the correct G-code.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpqwuGcAQk0

Vince
    Hi N4NV, I'm looking for some info(almost any would be a help at this point) for fixing my CHNC2 turret encoder, could you ping me please?

Page 15 of 15 5131415