584,812 active members*
5,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > easy-cnc mechatronics board good or bad?

Question easy-cnc mechatronics board good or bad?

I was wondering if anyone has first hand experiance or knows anything of this board. It looks and sounds neat but I dont know anything about what it takes for a good board. It has some features that Ive read on here that are important but would just like some opinions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-AXIS-CNC-ROUTE...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.easy-cnc.com/web/download...l3and4Axis.pdf

Thanks
    Tim

Don't know anything about it, but from the spec's and pictures it looks like it uses the 3977 chips. Doesn't take a genius to design a board with that chip, so should probably work fine. Don't know if that is his normal price, but $100 for an optically coupled 3-axis 3977 board sounds like a good deal even with the $20 shipping.

A negative on the board is it uses a socket for the 3977. Socketing is not recommended by Allegro, the manufacturer of the 3977 chip. One of the significant reasons the chip is not recommended to be socketed is that heat transfer is through the 9 ground pins of the chip. The heatsink shown on the chips is conducting heat through the plastic body. While that helps, plastic (IC package) is a poor thermal conductor.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Thanks guys for the replies. So would adding some fans on the heatsinks like processor in a computer help? I take it the 3977 chip is a fair chip. Also would there be any need for anyother boards to go along with it ( this is a stand alone board )? And would it work well with some keiling @ 300 oz/in 8 wire motors (I have a chance to get some)?

Thanks again
    Tim

I have been using his 4 axis board with 425oz motors for quit some time and have had no problems with it. Works quit well. Price is not bad either.
    Jeff

Hello everybody,

Socketing is not recommended by Allegro, but I have a test board from Allegro and it has an A3977 in a socket. I purchased a Mechatronics board unfortunately I damaged one axis, while I was replacing the IC I noticed that Mechatronics sticks with a termopad a little metallic slug between the IC and the heatsink and the heat doesn't damage the socket. I am so happy with my driver board, it stills running whithout any problem.

This is good news! I am a big beginner and this is the board I chose as well. I also picked up some 400 oz-in Keling 34 motors on "sale". I can't wait to start playing with 'em

it's a bad design, mine fried, SOCKETS SHOULD NOT BE USED on this Alegro Chip IT OVERHEATS and dies

I've got one of easy-cnc's 3 axis boards and the only problem I'm having is not so much with the board but neither easy-cnc or Mechtronics will answer emails. I've been looking to buy the 4th axis extension board but they just will not reply to my emails. If they won't answer questions about buying their stuff I can only image how bad they would be to answer technical questions.

The board is basically a piece of crap and the support is non-existant - nuff said...

I bought one of these easy-cnc boards from ebay. It was shipped fast, and it was easy to hook up and get running.

I am having problems with my motors freezing, but I am pretty sure the cause is the plasma cutters high frequency arc. I sent them an email and got no reply.

I recently ordered a relay board from the easy-cnc website. I have been waiting 3 weeks, and still don't have it. I sent two emails, and got a form letter back saying it take 7 to 15 working days to get the board. (same letter on both attempts).

Don't buy if you are in a "hurry" (3 weeks), or if you think you might have a question.

I do like the optic coupling, the on-board fuses, and seperate amp control for each axis for both running and idle. he documentation is reasonable.

The relay, if I ever get it, features optic coupling, and two relays that can be configured seperately or together, and are solid state capable of switching 220 volts. Nice, if you need that. If I had it, I could be at my shop playing.

one thumb up, one down.

Old thread I know, but thought I'd give a bit of feedback - I bought this board a couple of years ago when I was clueless...Is still am, but I can report that I've fried about FIVE A3977 ICs during the time I've owned it. Two of these were probably down to my fault (bare pcb base touched something metallic etc)...but he other three...hmm.

Of course swapping out the A3977 on this board is a breeze since they're socketed, but at $10 a pop (delivered) having these ICs fry so frequently is wearing a bit thin.

My only other board to gauge this one against is a cheap Chinese TB6560 variant.....that chinese one is awful and makes the mechatronics one appear ooze quality by comparison!

Couple of points, the A3977 DOES NOT TOLERATE anything over 35V, and that includes back emf. So Practically don't run it at more than 27VDC power supply voltage. 2nd, you might get some thermal adhesive and glue a heatsink to the 3977. Something that has verticle height and plenty of fin area to pull some heat out of the chip.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Old thread I know, but thought I'd give a bit of feedback - I bought this board a couple of years ago when I was clueless...Is still am, but I can report that I've fried about FIVE A3977 ICs during the time I've owned it. Two of these were probably down to my fault (bare pcb base touched something metallic etc)...but he other three...hmm.

Of course swapping out the A3977 on this board is a breeze since they're socketed, but at $10 a pop (delivered) having these ICs fry so frequently is wearing a bit thin.

My only other board to gauge this one against is a cheap Chinese TB6560 variant.....that chinese one is awful and makes the mechatronics one appear ooze quality by comparison!
    Thanks for PMinMO for pointing out why the A3977's are frying: Heat will get them every time in that design since there is no heatsink! Controlling lots of power, especially if you are doing it in microstepping modes, will cause any controller to heat. I can't imagine why the designer didn't account for that.

And then there is the garbage TB6560... Don't even get me started.

These people selling junk really tick me off. It's driving people away from the hobby by giving them a bad experience and wasting their money and time. We need a "protect the newbies" campaign to keep people from making that mistake with their first purchase.

The TB6560 itself isn't a bad chip, it's the board designs that turn it into crap...

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo View Post
    The TB6560 itself isn't a bad chip, it's the board designs that turn it into crap...
    Yeah, I should have been more clear. Although... I've been given to understand the TB6560 is a little light on self protection... e.g. not terribly rugged.

How do you feel about that open source TB6560 design you have on your site? Is anyone using it? Is it "hardy"? It looks like it would be a bit easier to repair than most of the junk boards from China.