585,764 active members*
4,571 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Photo Engraving Software

Aside from Mach2 and MeshCam are there any other economical engraving software packages out there? I'd like to engrave some photos in brass on my newly working CNC BP. Thanks a bunch.

Mark

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I tried out the Profiler - and its really - really good value. Like MACH2 it generates a raster cutting code set. I like the redo options it has and the ability to preview before loading it up.
    I've been writing a general review of low cost image to G-Code aps , should be posted in a few. The timing of you question is uncany!
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Jim, Be sure to check out the one in DeskCNC. It is probably the most capable around and includes both a unique tracing ( engraving ) style cutting (all closed shapes, no lines to nowhere) and 3D depth variations based on shades of gray within a bit map file. It's unique in that it automatically compensates for ball, bull, Vee or flat cutters, it can import most kinds of graphic image files, including frames from avi, scans direct from scanner and camera, and has built in graphics editors that permit you to adjust contrast, brightness, and to apply various filters like bump map, lens, wave, etc. It also does a 3D shaded render of the part surface, using the same tools as you specify in creating the toolpaths.

Fred Smith - IMService

Fred - I'll do that as I have some spare time - I really liked the features in Rasterfratz for getting from an image to a DXF or G-Code. Quick and simple.
    I'll check out the DESCCNC after I give STL and Accutrans a whirl. Sent you a pm regarding that - over.
    Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

VS3D

Hello Mark & Jim,

VS3D can generate G-code directly from image files with no vectorization required. In VS3D, the surface heights (Z axis) are automatically scaled directly from the gray-scale (or color) values in the imported image. VS3D also supports DXF, STL, and point clouds.

In addition, VS3D excells at Virtual Sculpting by providing sophisticated tools for hammering, scraping, chiseling, ramping, smoothing, etc.

VS3D supports roughing and finishing tool paths. All of the 3D tool offset calculations are performed automatically, based upon the 3D shape of the chosen cutting bit and the surface being cut.
    Proposed cutting passes are shown on the shaded surface display. You can see exactly what the part will look like after the roughing and finishing passes.

Here is an example of a VS3D design machined in brass:

http://www.designscomputed.com/vs3d/examples/index.html
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the info. VS3D looks very good but way out of my hobby price range. Looks like there is a lot of good info on the review link, I'll follow up with that. Thanks again.

Mark

3D Image Profiler

Natchamp,
    BobCAD-CAM has just released its BobART 3D image profiling software. You can import a picture and turn it into 3D toolpath automatically. It's powerful, easy to use and affordable. Check it out at www.bobcad.com.
    Sincerely,
    CNC Dude
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bobart.jpg  

DotG

Hello Guys!

In these days I made some photo engraving into mirror glass:

This work's gcode was created by DotG software what now released in English:

Check the software here. It is free! :banana:

I have downloaded DotG, but can not get to any of the help information. How did you get the image into the program?
    Grandpa Jay

Quote Originally Posted by grandpa jay View Post
    I have downloaded DotG, but can not get to any of the help information. How did you get the image into the program?
    Grandpa Jay
    Try in DotG english forum

How to make 1 bit BMP tutorial (Hungarian, but pictures are show a way.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5v4qTNpcrw"]Video1[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T6Bz9h_eZ8"]Video2[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by grandpa jay View Post
    Grandpa Jay
    Hi grandpa jay!

The full process is here:
    Translated with Google translator.

It uses Irfanview and a plugin to create the software's input picture.
    It's all free and I think it's important for hobbysts.

The software's input is a 1bit black and white picture.
    Depending on what resolution You want, or can machine, resize the pic.
    If You can work with 0,5mm pixel distance (raster) and You want a 100x200mm final size machined picture, You will need a 200x400pixel b/w pic.
    You can change the resolution and the raster size too.

Some nice work I think I will try that program out once I get more dialed in with my machine..

Lou
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Lou, that was my target, to make You try DotG.
    It is free, it is available in English, and extremely easy to use.

looking good

Quote Originally Posted by Geoszerda View Post
    Lou, that was my target, to make You try DotG.
    It is free, it is available in English, and extremely easy to use.
    Is there anything special that I need besides the software?

Lou
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Re: Photo Engraving Software

Okay so I have found DotG and infranview and well...I am not a computer master. I got everything downloaded. I am having a hard time with the plugin's and getting them to work. Anyone have teamviewer willing to help me with getting this going right. If so email me please. [email protected]

Thank you all for all your knowledge. Cheers.