584,800 active members*
4,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by helocat View Post
    The Machinery’s Handbook lists dark cherry as one of the top woods for milling. The rule book for the pinewood derby race does not say it has to be made from pine! Loop hole and we are in!

I plan on lathe trueing the wheels and custom cutting the “nail’s” used for the axels to make straight ones with slight concave heads to limited contact to the wheel.
    That's an awesome observation. With Cherry you could get a very thin, sleek car and still keep a lot of density, and not worry about thin areas breaking out. Much slicker than my pocketing in old lead strip weights for mass!
    I think you are on the right track with the wheels. The stock plastic ones straight out of the package had a thin ridge of mold line on the circumference that looked to affect roundness and performance, and the "nails" were pretty loosely fit to the holes. Truing them up and making better axle stubs than the nails is probably where all the speed will come from in the design. That and in the machining of the body you can make sure the grooves underneath for the stubs to mount in are truly square and parallel! Don't know how close they really are in the stock pre-cut pine blocks, as I didn't know what a micrometer even was when I was twelve, but they did seem pretty suspect even to us kids as some cars definitely did track a lot better than others.
    Thats awesome they have a dads race now. Bet that adds a lot to the fun and removes some of the problems, too. Good luck!

GO speed racer, GO speed racer, !!! LOL

Heck, I can't wait to see the new movie coming out!
    I always loved it as a kid after school.

Gotta start workin on a 3d version for next year!!!

Have to check on some cherry wood!!

More wood chips in the work-shop, YEAH!!!

Talking More from the Pit Crew!

Finally got some time to tinker with some 3d stuff, had some foam laying around so I thought I would take a shot at it!!! This is the first cut, not to bad?
    I'll keep workin on it some more, hope I can get it done in time for RACE DAY!:cheers:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1364.jpg   100_1365.jpg   100_1366.jpg   100_1367.jpg  

that batman car is cool anyway of getting a step file or iges file thanks [email protected]

I was about 13-14 and I literally BUILT cars for the neighbor kid and my cousin. No CNC's, no cheated up mold machines, a kid building a car for a kid. THis was back in 1964. Mine were essentialy dupes of a Lotus Ford Indy car of the day hence I lay claim to the first REVERSED pinewood derby car ala what the designs shown are copies of .

Both cars kicked a$$ when it came to racing the eliminations One race, the elims and finals were all on one day. We won that so bad it was silly. Car was a bullet

The second deal was on TV with a kids show. Your ran elims on mon thru thurs, come back friday for the run off - winner got a trip to indy 500

THis deal was lame as they had a good lane and 2-3 bad ones, like the car would literally jump in the air after hitting a bump in the track. We stood a chance on any lane EXCEPT the two real bad ones. Darn if we didn't draw a bad one.

Even so we finished second - the car was a bullet and out ahead by a foot and pulling away until it hit the bump.

THe kids' deal was bad enough, I can't imagine what a "parents" race would involve.

CNC chassis, polyechnomorphic treatment of titanium zirconium unobtanium wheels. Don't forget the wind tunnel work.

IF a father dumped my kid's car on the floor, I"d perhaps fall into the table and take out the whole batch. Fair is fair, no?

THe fathers who pulled such crap scarred epople for life with their home boy stuff. THis and ohter posts above PROOVE IT. IF we got screwed with PD racing, we NEVER Forgot it. Thanks to the fine pillars of the community, rotten SOB's taht they were..

More Pics

Cars have wheels, need fine tuning and paint!
    Hope gravity is on my side!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1382.jpg   100_1381.jpg   100_1380.jpg   100_1379.jpg  

Cool Almost Finished!

Got paint!
    Just a little more detail and Racer X better move over!
    Hey Trixie, Wanna go for a ride!!! LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1393.jpg   100_1394.jpg   100_1395.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMoog View Post
    Got paint!
    Just a little more detail and Racer X better move over!
    Hey Trixie, Wanna go for a ride!!! LOL
    Beautiful, now I want to build one again.

Smile

Megamoog,

Very kewl Derby cars!

Where are you located we are in Gurnee?

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Cool Final Details b4 race

Got group shot of cars.
    My sons, daughters, wifes and mine.
    Family affair.
    Race is this weekend!

Hope we can come home with some trophies!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pinewood cars 2009 001.jpg   Pinewood cars 2009 002.jpg   Pinewood cars 2009 003.jpg  

Pack WINNER!

All our hard work payed off!
    Just check out the smiles! (Third from left)
    Trophies too!

Now on to the district race.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1412.jpg   100_1413.jpg   100_1439.jpg   100_1444.jpg  

Can u say DOMINATION?

YES!
    YES!
    YES!

He did it again, went to district and had a blast!
    Came home with two more trophies, and a very proud family!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1478.jpg   100_1480.jpg   100_1477.jpg  

Awesome, congrats again!

Feel like sharing the code for the Mach 5?

Re: PINEWOOD DERBY

Do any of you guys have 3D models for these cool cars?

hi guys. a friend asked me to cut out a car for his son on a bandsaw but since im a cnc operator i really wanted to make something nicer for him. i dont have alot of skill in 3d solid cad drawing i can so some . i was looking for a place to obtain a file so i can cut a car on a 3 axis cnc. anyone who would share a file with me. would greatly appreciate your help thanks . or someplace i can go to get one thanks again

I don't have any tips, but it's my sons first pinewood derby this year and I'd love if you put up your finished product for some ideas!

There is a good YouTube video tutorial of Fusion 360 and a Pinewood Derby Car by Patrick Rainsberry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agLS_PRQJLQ

Hope this helps,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I've been working on a new site to help excite kids about manufacturing through CNC machining pinewood derby cars. I just finished a tutorial on making custom pinewood derby wheels. I have a little promo video here. I've been modeling like mad the past few month in my spare time and working on my website integration. I'm working on new tutorials and models every day but thanks to the new president, my aerospace day job is crazy busy, I'm not complaining. Anyway if you have any requests or ideas you'd like to see feel free to make a request. My tutorials so far have revolved around the most basic 3040 CNC engraving machine from ebay. This way I can show what can be done with a cheap machine. I have a large 4x4 CNC router and square column mill that I will be starting a new set of tutorials on soon so check back often.

Send me feedback to what you'd like to see in tutorials or models thanks.

https://youtu.be/rg-LDvBT2OY

Here is a promo video for my programming 101 tutorial. It's a little long winded for the absolute beginner.

https://youtu.be/vo208dOeKMA

So I have a new tutorial out on using Alibre / CAM to create an indy car and the steps I took to program it. I also have a little tutorial on finishing the car with custom printable decals. This is a free trial model so give it a shot it's a fun car to machine because some of the parts are so thin. Don't forget to subscribe to my youtube channel (Pinewood CNC) so you'll get updates on new videos.

Model: Pinewood CNC SPORT 4

Programming Tutorial:
    https://youtu.be/X6xwfWSGsaA

Decal Tutorial:
    https://youtu.be/YaECSeyzr2Y

Attachment 369686Attachment 369688Attachment 369690

Page 2 of 2 12