585,722 active members*
4,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > automating the gecko reset button on power up

automating the gecko reset button on power up

Anyone come up with an easy way to do this? I'd rather not have two power switches. I'd also rather not build a timer circuit just because I'm not really good at it and it's a pain. I'm getting a little burned out on this conversion as it is. lol

I was thinking I could probably use a relay and a capacitor and feed the coil in series with the cap so when the cap charges it will drop the coil. I've done this before for a time delay in a car and it worked OK, but 5 seconds is a pretty long time.

It may require a resistor for discharging when the relay is not engaged.

Any thoughts?

I do want to add, I've read the Gecko instructions over and over and it doesn't say there's a problem with just leaving err/res connected to enc+ (+5vdc I assume) as long as you don't plan to use it as an fault output.

I was told on the Yahoo groups that I shouldn't do this. Can anyone comment on this?

Chris64,
    On my machine, I have a manual reset button that is tied in to do this function. I hold it in for the required time and off we go. There have been times that I have had a drive fault out (thank goodness) and I push the reset button and off we go again. Also, I personally prefer this so I can make a last minute check before engaging the controls.

If you leave the resistor tied in and have a fault while running, it will reset and possibly try to move on. This could be disastrous if you have hit a hard limit and could possibly cause damage!

I have had occasion to fat finger a MDI command and drive my vice into the column as there is overhang on the back of the table. I would hate for it to sit there and keep trying to do that over and over:{(
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Chris64,

I left my ERR/RES tied high, and I have now got three out of four blown G320s. I don't know if these two facts are in any way connected, but I'm now looking at doing what I can to make my system more robust, while I wait for Gecko to look at my drives.

I agree with CB. I sympathise with your desire to get it done, but if you cut corners (as I did) it will likely take you longer and cost you more in the future, while you fix your damaged system.

I hope that this helps.

Leo