585,760 active members*
3,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > monochrome crt hard to read

monochrome crt hard to read

My company bought a used Daewoo Puma ### with a Mitsubishi Meldas Controller with an amber monochrome display. Not sure the vintage, but maybe early 90's.

The monitor is getting really hard to see.

Is there a way to adjust the brightness on this thing?

Sometimes on these CRTs there is a knob on the side that adjusts the brightness. Also sometimes the housing has a little hole that you can put a screwdriver through to turn the knob; it has a slot for a screwdriver. You will need to take the covers off and see what you can find.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

For that vintage the crt emission has probably dropped quite a bit, is there burn-in on the screen? IOW Do you see characters on the screen when turned off?
    You may squeeze a bit more out with the brightness as geof said.
    In the mean time you could look around for an old Monochrome monitor, with the same crt size, and just swap the CRT.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Geof and Al the man. I try to take a close look for a little hole inside and out but couldn't find any kind of adjustment knob on the outside of the controller, or inside for that matter.

If I can remember tomorrow (alzheimer's and demetia) I'll take a picture of it to post here. Is there a limit to the size of pictures we can post? My pone has a 2meg pixel camera and I have it set to max resolution (1632 x 1224) but can lower to (640 x 480) and (160 x 120). Will also look closer for year made.

Al, the burn in isn't that noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by bluej_x View Post
    .... Is there a limit to the size of pictures we can post? My pone has a 2meg pixel camera and I have it set to max resolution (1632 x 1224) but can lower to (640 x 480) and (160 x 120). ...
    Yes, when you click the Manage Attachments button for the window to upload pictures it gives you a list of file types and sizes;1025 by 1000 is maximum for jpg.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Download Irfanview, excellent viewer and pic resizer for posting here.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Just an update:

The monitor took a dump and now we're buying a replacement. $800+