586,009 active members*
4,659 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Discounts on Haas machines

I hope this hasn't been beaten to death in a previous discussion, but I couldn't find anything recent...

I'm talking to the local HFO about a VF2 with 10K spindle, 16MB, Probe and IPS. The quoted price on the sales order was list price from the Haas site, less a $1,000 total discount.

I know that's not right, but I'm not sure what to expect. I would think that there would be at least a 5% discount ($1,000 is like 1.5%).

What is your experience?

Joe

current discounts

Midwest HFO is offering discounts on options. I think 15% on $10,000 of options and up to 30% the more options you buy, don't know the exact numbers or if this is from the factory or HFO. And this discount applies only to the options, not the total machine price.

But this is not normal, they do offer different promotions at different times during the year, but usually the price on the website is what you pay, like a Saturn.

The most they normally discount is like $1500 or $2000 depending what you buy in my experience.

Wow, that really surprises me -- on a $50K machine with $10K of options I'd expect some kind of decent break.

Would it make you feel better if they told you it was a $60K machine and they gave you a $10K discount?

Seriously, their pricing is really straight-forward. Go to the Hardinge or Fadal websites. Come back and tell us what their competitive machine to the VF-2 lists for--seriously. Ya' ain't gonna' find anything. You're forced to get in touch with them, then try to sort out what it's going to cost.

I still don't know if I could have bought a Fadal or Bridgeport. From my own homework, I was able to sort through the maze of options on the Haas website and decide what was right for me.

With Haas, at least you can see the option prices and decide what you do and don't want. A decent sales guy will help you bundle things together to maximize your purchase power.

The only discounts are in the option 'packages' (just like getting a 'deluxe interior' instead of buying your car with individual: power windows and power seats).
    Greg

Donkey Hotey has a point; sometimes deep discounts are a sign of insincere pricing I think. Years ago it was possible to get some machines very deeply discounted; show room models, units that had been on display at trade shows. Haas had a section on their website that used to have dozens of different machines at up to 30% discount...not any more, or not much now. I think it is a sign that they are succesful and secure and can sell what they can make.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Looking at the different MFGs websites, Haas is the best -- it's clear and to the point. Some, like Hurco, are pretty vague and mention that options are available but there is no list or guidance.

Mostly I don't want to overpay... If list on the machines is how the pricing always is, then so be it. I just have a hard time believing that there is zero wiggle room in the macine.

Having bought several Haas machines and seen invoices from Haas to the dealer I sometimes wonder whether pushing for a large discount, or working with a dealer that will give a large discount is really the best value for money in the long term. The reason I say this is that it seems the dealer's commission, discount, whatever you call it, is around 15%; i.e. for a $100,000 machine the dealer 'keeps' $15,000. Out of this $15,000 the dealer has to provide the labour cost for warranty service, Haas does supply warranty parts at no cost, any training and of course the machine installation. I know $15,000 seems like a fair anmount but the dealer has to keep the techs on staff even when they are not out fixing machines, etc. I do know that 15% as a discount/commission is not overly generous.

I am suspicious that if a dealer is willing to give a big discount; in other words proportionately reduce, or maybe take the entire amount, out of their income from the machine sale, maybe.....just maybe, they are going to be tempted to 'discount' the type of warranty support and service they offer.

You can't run a business on warm air and good intentions; good hard cash enters into the equation.

Discount

Hi Joe,

I purchased my machine during HAAS Demo Days last November and got a substantial discount on a TM-1P. If you send me a PM I will tell you more about it.

John

I was told the only reason for the big discounts at demo days last year was because of the poor turn out for the SEMA show and they needed to move some machine fast. I'm pretty sure normal demo day discount is $500.00. I also bought a machine last November and it was nice to save a little but they said this is not normal.

Let me suggest to you something that you may not have thought of...
    First off, I ain't bashing Haas. I own two of them.
    But...the whole priceing thing is marketing stuff...
    You are in fact paying a premium for Haas to hold your hand and tell you what you "really" need. Just because Haas has a nice website, does not mean they make the best machine. To think so is somewhat silly.
    Mori Seiki gives no prices on their site. It is in fact one of the worse sites I have ever seen but you can not deny that they make a nice machine.
    Here's my point...
    If you sit down an dthink through just what you want on a machine, you can do much better both in price and performance than a Haas. I ain't bashing Haas. But I don't drink the koolaid any more either.
    I was going to buy a VF2. My local reseller pissed me off and I decided to find an alternative. I bought a box way machine with a Fanuc control, big coolant pump. fourth axis, high speed machining option, chip conveyer, not an auger. For about $15k less than the Haas. It will run circles around a VF2. I use it to cut 316L all day. My Haas would be just flappin it's skirts over that.
    I also turn a bit of 316 and incolnel. I have an SL10 that will not cut the stuff. Won't do it. My Daewoo will.
    I ain't bashin Haas. But I AM saying that there are other options out there where you can get more machine for less money. But you have to know what you want in a machine.
    Seems lots of guys are new to machines that buy Haas. That fits in with the marketing thing.

PBMW,
    I'm just curious. A new VF2 is $48,0000 and options you listed total $6000.00 and probably $3500.00 more for the 10,000 rpm spindle to match your Mori. So you really bought your new Mori for $42,500.00?? that's taking $15,000.00 off the Haas price.

No I don't have a Mori
    I was stating that the mori site is abysmal...
    Mori machines are nice.
    I bought a Sharp 2412. Smaller than a VF2. MUCH stronger.
    I can buy a Daewoo 3016 box machine with fourth and a Fanuc 18m control for about $60k. Chip conveyer, yada yada. That will out run a Haas as well.
    My point.....is that there are a number of things that are a better value than a Haas. In both perfomance and price, and service.

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    .....My point.....is that there are a number of things that are a better value than a Haas. In both perfomance and price, and service.
    Based on your account of your experiences, what I have read here on CNCzone and to some extent my experiences, I think you are correct.

But 8 years ago when I first got into buying Haas machines I do not think this analysis would have been correct: There were other machines more capable than Haas but when you took into account cost versus capability Haas was the best value in many cases. This is provided you were working with the tolerance region Haas machines can work in.

Then the competition responded by cutting their prices, and I think Haas got complacent with the result they have slipped in comparative terms. Which I find really annoying because I more or less locked myself into Haas machines; I could change but that might introduce more complications than it prevents.

Interesting, I appreciate everyone's input.

I'm looking around at other machines, another local dealer is pushing the Hurco VM2 as an alternative (more capacity in a smaller footprint, potentially more options/less cost).

You make a couple of good points Geof
    I have a 2000 mini. It's a good machine.
    I think there have been builders that are after the market share that Haas enjoys...
    They're doing a pretty good job.
    You can buy a 4020 Mori Dura for about a hunnert adn ten grand or so. Just about what you'd pay for a decked out VF3. The Mori will beat it up!
    But it depends on what you are cutting day in and day out. I'm not an aluminum shop. I cut some pretty nasty stuff cause nobody else is dumb enough to take it on.
    Rigidity is king as far as I'm concerned.

shopping

I've had to gather pricing several times in the past for equipment.
    dealing some some manufacturers is like buying a car off a lot.
    You can't hear the price until they give the sales pitch.
    How much does the effing thing cost?
    Whether or not you like Haas machines for their capabilty versus price, you have to admire straightforward pricing.

up front pricing - Hurco?

I agree, up front pricing means a lot as far as I'm concerned.
    I would love to see the real cost of a Hurco VM2 and a Haas VF2 similarly equipped.
    Everyone brags about the hurco control but my impression is that it is about 10 grand extra to get the full control package on a hurco.
    The website just lists features/options. What's a feature and what's an option?

For me it isn't just about 'honest pricing'. If I can see what things cost up front, I might consider options that I had no idea I could afford. Haas benefitted from me buying more options on my VF-2 than I ever figured I could afford.

Or I can compare a lower priced model with fewer 'standard options' to a better equipped, higher-end model (VF-1 vs TM-1P for instance). It allows the consumer to make a better informed purchase.

Other manufacturers should follow that pricing model for that reason alone--even if they're in a totally different price-band than Haas.
    Greg

For some unexplained reason I feel obligated to buy American made machines as much as possible. A while back when I was comparing Haas to other machines, I partially justified my reasons by going with the Haas probe package which can be had at a bargain price compared to other machine builders. I don't know if other builders has caught up on the probe integration/pricing.

Regarding Haas discount, it seems to depend on the market conditions. Just asking for discounts probably won't go very far, but if you do your homework comparing comparable machines you maybe able to do better. . . or you may end up with a different machine as had happened to several others on the forum. . .

Anyway, I like my Haas. Looking at it reminds me that despite the unfavorable manufacturing environment in the US, it's still possible for a US manufacturer to compete head to head with foreign manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJW View Post
    Anyway, I like my Haas. Looking at it reminds me that despite the unfavorable manufacturing environment in the US, it's still possible for a US manufacturer to compete head to head with foreign manufacturers.
    Well said

Page 1 of 2 12