585,991 active members*
5,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry Okuma-Howa HL-20

Anybody out here in the zone know what manuals should have come with an Okuma-Howa HL-20? Built in 2000 with a Fanuc 18T control. I have tried my distributer and Okuma America. They have called over to Japan, and Okuma does not know either. Isn't THAT special!!!

I would start by getting my hands on the Fanuc manuals, that's going to get you the furthest to start. Maybe look for a distributor of Okuma & Howa machines and see if they are able to help you out, here is a link to one:http://www.kgki.com/
    You CAN do anything, if you REALLY want to, but how many people really want to?
    Kyle

Do not assume that a Okuma-Howa machine is built by OKUMA!
    I believe that OKUMA have only bought out Okuma-Howa within the last few years, but could be wrong in that regard!
    We used to have a O&H twin pallet mill with a Fanuc Controller on it and there was no way this machine had anything to do with "Okuma".

Okuma-Howa is not an Okuma machine. The only reason the "Okuma" name appears is because the Japanese government forced Okuma to "save" Howa when they were in financial problems. Okuma-Howa use a fanuc control, Okuma use their own. Don't waste your time asking Okuma.......just exactly what is you problem again ????

I was needing to know what manuals came with Okuma-Howa HL-20. All the Fanuc manuals tell you to consult machine tool builder manuals for estblishment of machine zero. I was trying to find out what manuals were shipped with machine. After 5 months of phone calls and emails, they finally sent a list of manuals that shipped with machine. I already had the Okuma-Howa manuals (they were of so little help, I thought I was missing some), so now I guess I need to find out which Fanuc manuals went with machine. And no, Okuma don't know that info. Since machine was built in 2000, it should be VERY easy for them to look in thier computer and find that information, but they refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by howd View Post
    I was needing to know what manuals came with Okuma-Howa HL-20. All the Fanuc manuals tell you to consult machine tool builder manuals for estblishment of machine zero. I was trying to find out what manuals were shipped with machine. After 5 months of phone calls and emails, they finally sent a list of manuals that shipped with machine. I already had the Okuma-Howa manuals (they were of so little help, I thought I was missing some), so now I guess I need to find out which Fanuc manuals went with machine. And no, Okuma don't know that info. Since machine was built in 2000, it should be VERY easy for them to look in thier computer and find that information, but they refuse.
    I can understand your level of frustration in not getting the information that you require, but what part of "this is NOT and Okuma machine" do you not understand?

I would be like asking Toyota for Ford specs on something they have done.

Okuma now owns Okuma-Howa. Part of the sale is that Okuma is now in control of ALL parts and service. KGKI no longer handles the parts and Okuma-Howa's Chicago office has closed and everything was turned over to OKUMA.

So, if you need help, contact your local Okuma dealer or try to contact OKUMA which is located in Charlotte NC.

For what it is worth, don't expect anything substantial regarding information in an Okuma Howa manual. To learn about a specific feature or something, it is probably best just to ask specific questions and perhaps someone on this forum can help.

Chris

What do you mean, Okuma now own Okuma-Howa ? is that the operation in the USA or manufacturing in Japan? In any case, why would Okuma in Charlotte have all the historical information to hand, it is extremely unlikely they will help. Sorry to be negative, but I did work for Okuma in Charlotte.

I Heard from someone within Okuma Australia that this occured a few years back now.
    I do not recall the time frame on when this was supposed to have happened...
    We had a Okuma-Howa mill quite a few years ago now, with a Fanuc control, and it was not a real quality machine that is for sure!
    As for whether it applies worldwide or not, do not know, but it certainly sounds like it happened in Japan.
    Other that that, I agree, I would not expect to get manuals for "Older" O&H machines from Okuma!

Hey broby, it ain't like askin Toyota about Ford specs!!!!!! The FIRST name (in BIG BOLD letters) on the machine (and on the books) is none other than OKUMA!!!!!!!!!!!! If it ain't OKUMA, it should say "this AIN'T made by Okuma" . So what part of OKUMA all over a machine don't you understand? If they don't want any part of it, they should go ahead and say so, and not keep screwing me around for 5 months!

Well OK Then!
    No need to get all twisted about it!
    I was merely trying to point out that "IN THE PAST" these "Okuma & Howa" machines, despite having the lettering "Okuma" on them, were NOT made by "Okuma" but by a firm called "Okuma & Howa"! So how could they be expected to supply manuals for some thing they did not manufacture?
    NOW, since they (Okuma) have bought out O&H (so I am told) it is very likely that your machine has been built by OKUMA.
    If this is the case, and don't forget, I am not looking at you machine with the writing all over it, I would be in total agreement with you and also be rather peeved that the machine tool builders can not supply a replacement set of manuals for your machine!
    If I have offended you, my humblest apologies!
    Hope this clarifies my opinion, and don't forget, it is only one small opinion in the big wide world!
    Cheers
    Brian.

So you are trying to set machine Zero-position, I have an O&H ACT-20 with the Fanuc 18t, I had to set my home position a few months ago. I wrote done the steps and I will find them and get back tomorrow. Did the batteries get low and you lost home position? Thats what happened to me, I bought my lathe used, I may have some phone numbers that could be very helpful. I'll pm you tomorrow. Yes Okuma has bought O&H out, if you go to Okuma's web site and look at the Millac line of mills and lathe's, you can see they have started putting Okuma controllers on the new machines.

Brody, sorry about all that. I have let thier indifference and total lack of decency get under my skin. It has made me a bit touchy, and you do have my appologies for getting 'all twisted'. I guess then, a question is, are these two different companies with the same name, Okuma? If there is only one, they DID or DID HELP build my machine. Even if all they suplied was a sticker with their name on it, they are responsible. This machine was built in 2000, EVERYTHING done in those years is on computer, and it would only take two minutes for them to access and send along the needed information, but NOBODY at OKUMA AMERICA cared enough to get them to do it. I searched for access to Okuma in Japan, not available! I beleive Okuma makes excellent equipment, they will just NEVER see any more of it in my shop.

Thought that might have been the case!
    I too would be rather unimpressed with after sales "care" if I was being treated the same way!
    Thankfully, In Australia, Okuma products is supported by some fantastic people and this makes for great service and support!
    It would be a shame for you, if you were to not entertain the idea of buying another "Genuine Okuma" machine some time in the future based on this extraordinary service response, or should I say lack of!
    They do make a great machine with a very flexible controller. Some of the things I have been asked to do with our lathes and mills over the years have really amazed me no end. Usually I start of with the stunned look of "You want to do what!?" and then eventually get there, sometimes even surprising the customer!
    Have not looked on the Japanese site for quite some time, but was there any contact information? Could you contact them directly?
    I guess you have already probably tried this with out luck obviously!
    Seems like a real cluster f..k to me. If the machine has their name on it, they should support the damn thing!
    PM me all the relevant information and I will ask the guys here in OZ and see if I can get any response!
    Cheers
    Brian.

In Japan they hate to see failure so the goverment makes larger companies help smaller companies, hence Okuma & Howa.Okuma & Howa was taken totally over by okuma in 2006. Okuma has taken over all rights to their technology, and are now designing their own machines under okuma howa's engineering processes. Okuma&Howa machines are super high qaulity machines.They were built to the tightest tolerances.That was probably their problem(all qaulity and no regards for production).I have a millac 511v, and I am getting jobs that countless other shops have tried to build without sucess.My tolerances are
    +.001 -.0000on dimensions with .001 true position and dimensions apply after plating.The plating is magnaplate with .0002-.0008 tolerances(half in half out). That leaves me with a
    +.0002 -.0000 tolerance. This cannot be done on a non quality machine.When I bought this machine I too had battery problems.The way I got my info. was to do a search for my machine then I called the shops with the same machine and they helped me get back on track.I would try that.

Re: Okuma-Howa HL-20

Can any one help me please ?

we are having okuma howa HL 35 WITH FANUC 18T CONTROL

All parameters lost.

We dont have parameters

We need parameters for OKUMA HOWA HL35 WITH FANUC 18T CONTROL

We are ready to pay charges...

pl help - [email protected]