584,829 active members*
5,087 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 18 of 90 816171819202868
    ok this is prolly a lil off subject but...wow 10,000 rpm for a step motor!!!??? wow!! im prolly way off but i was thinking stepper motors were like 200 ~300 rpm motors...i saw a post where someone was wanting to use one for a spindle motor..and i was thinking "no way.it wouldnt turn fast enough for a spindle"..but now...im thinkin it could work...im so new to this stuff...wish i could afford to spend alot more time ((was getting paid)) working on this stuff...having a day job sure gets in the way of doing the things ya want to do...but i still need to eat,so work i must...lol ...mariss...you should write a book when ya run outta stuff to do...
    "witty comment"

Don't get too excited about that.:-) We have exactly one OEM customer that runs motors that fast; the application spins a tiny mirror for a laser scanning system. At 10,000 RPM, the motor will stall if you so much as look at it cross eyed. It was done to test for the maximum step pulse frequency to verify the new drive meets that customer's requirement.

Mariss

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    ....Finally, that will clear the decks for the rest of the year for what I believe will be the most significant design of all, a true PID step motor servodrive. This will trump everything Geckodrive has done since we started....
    I checked out the thread on that drive, cool.

Monte

After that, who knows. I may want to veg-out in Hawaii for 6 months in 2009. Recharge my batteries, take up oil-painting, come up with something new or not; I have no clue except to say once these new drives (G250, G540, G380, G213) and the step servo is finished there is nothing warming up in the bullpen. After this year my tank is on "E" until it gets refilled. Either way it will be fun.
    I know you will be showered with the same adulation and respect that ART (mach1/2/3) got on his retirement announcement. Hope its not too soon! You are both absolute gentlemen, engineers, contributors - doers, that have always had time for people and THANKS just does not seem enough.

Looking forward to ordering my new 4 axis Gecko set up!
    :cheers: Jim

As an aside - consider Chang Mai, Thailand very cost effective - exotic -- and anybody can go to Hawaii!
    Maybe a Buddhist meditation retreat to recharge?
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Isn't harddrives using a form of stepper motor at 15k rpm depending on drive? Also the motor to the hexagon mirror in a laserprinter.
    Might be a sweet drive for a micro spindle.

Oh and can you please poke some of the moving head mfgrs like Martin etc so that they can make quiet products.

Good job. This will make a perfect "play with" driver that you can use for a real project the your done playing (if ever). I want one. (or rather many)

Awsome work dude!!

I can't wait until the G540 unit is offered for sale. I am just starting my project, so I won't need it for a while.

Thanks
    Haku

Quote Originally Posted by David_Web View Post
    Isn't harddrives using a form of stepper motor at 15k rpm depending on drive? Also the motor to the hexagon mirror in a laserprinter.
    Might be a sweet drive for a micro spindle.
    A super fast hard drive is 10,000RPM. Your standard HDD is 7200 RPM, and 5400RPM for a laptop. When you have something spinning that fast, if you so much as breathe on it it will stall. Sure, a motor can go that fast, but it has almost zero torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post

What's coming up: Step (7) has taken all week. Step (8) will take most or all of next depending on the G250's will to live.:-) Next Friday the pcb gerber files get let for fabrication of the first 2,000 drives. The turn time is 4-weeks for boards. Allowing 1 week for slipping them into the SMT production line here, figure on late April for availability in quantity. There will be only the single prototype until then and I'm keeping it. Then we'll see what happens.

Mariss

Will the 540 be coming online at the same time?

Matt

Marcus posted yesterday on the Yahoo group that it might be a few months for the G540.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by CoAMarcus View Post
    A super fast hard drive is 10,000RPM. Your standard HDD is 7200 RPM, and 5400RPM for a laptop. When you have something spinning that fast, if you so much as breathe on it it will stall. Sure, a motor can go that fast, but it has almost zero torque.
    Good to know both my HD's are super fast...I was considering the 15.000RPM drives a few years ago! Ultra fast? These drives sound like fun. Will they have a UK/European distributor?
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Marcus posted yesterday on the Yahoo group that it might be a few months for the G540.
    Could you link us to his post?

Thanks.

tom

Tom,

Here is my post just copied and pasted. I try to keep people on the same page on both the Yahoo group and CNC Zone.

The G540 will be available some time within the next several
    months. We are still going over the design, and have to work several
    little things out. The G250 will have its first production run coming
    up fairly soon, and from there we will finish up the G540. Because we
    are keeping the cost low, we have to try new things which take time.
    I will expand on this by explaining why exactly the G540 will take a little longer than the G250. Because the G540 will incorporate 4 G250s, the G250 must be fully operational before we can finalize the design of the G540. Imagine that we designed the motherboard for it, got it printed, stuffed it, and had it ready to go at the rollout of the G250. Now imagine that there turns out to be a small design change to the G250 that will change its interaction with the motherboard. We would now have to scrap the motherboards that have already been produced and wait an additional 6 weeks for the new design of the board to get here.

Because we enjoy doing things cheaply almost as much as our customers do, we must err on the side of caution and finish one part before we move on to the next. If we were to have a change in the design of the G540 motherboard and have to get it re-printed, it would not be possible to keep it as cheap as it will be.

I hope this clears things up for a few of you as to why we are not rolling them both out at the same time. I apologize for the fairly long post.

-Marcus Freimanis

Edit: The post seemed much longer before I posted it. I apologize for my apology. ;-)

Thanks for the explanation, Marcus. It makes perfect sense after you explained it. By that tme I should definitely have my machine built and be ready for the G540.

I assure you, nothing is closer to my mind than completing the G250 / G540 project in as timely of a fashion as is humanly possible. I need the time cleared once it's done to get onto what is really significant, bringing to market an inexpensive true PID step motor servo drive.

Mariss

Thanks for the reply Marcus. I'm an EE too, so I know all-to-well the problems with releasing a product before its time! Heck, I did it once just to prove to marketing how bad an idea it can be!

Since I'm waiting with baited breathe on this release, what's the best way to find out when it's in stock & ready to order? Keep reloading the home page over & over to see when it changes?:stickpoke

Or could (would) you set up an email notification list?

tom
    And remember: you can't spell gEEk without EE!

i would love a heads up so i can order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tooManyHobbies View Post
    Since I'm waiting with baited breathe on this release, what's the best way to find out when it's in stock & ready to order? Keep reloading the home page over & over to see when it changes?:stickpoke

Or could (would) you set up an email notification list?
    Because an email list would be something that people would have to sign up for and therefore some will not get it, we will post on CNC Zone and the Yahoo group when it is going into production, when it is being assembled, and when they are ready for sale. Trust me, we are just as excited about the new drive as you guys are, and we enjoy bragging about how impossibly cool we are so we will keep you updated with all developments with the drive. ;-)

The PCBs should be ordered some time soon, and from there it is basically sitting on our hands regarding the G250 until they arrive in 6 weeks. Unfortunately the PCB manufacturing process is very time consuming, and there is not a whole lot we can do about it.

-Marcus

Marcus, a question for you or Marris, if you are at liberty say. Does the NASA puppet "Dexter" have Geckos tugging the strings?
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

three drives are all i need to finish my cnc'd x2!

these are gonna sell like hotcakes

Would you consider putting the FETs in sockets?... for those of us that tend to blow one on occasion...

Page 18 of 90 816171819202868