Login
Page 65 of 90 1555636465666775
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1793
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    Tom,

Very nice work!

Mariss
    Coming from you Mariss, I consider that to be the highest form of praise p:

Wow! Great additions to the EZ Plug family Tom!

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Coming from you Mariss, I consider that to be the highest form of praise p:
    It seems that the G540 is aimed at people who aren't familiar with electronics, but your system takes that to the next level for people who aren't familiar with electronics or the computer setup. (As you provide the setup software.)

Looks good.

Preliminary G540 test results:

Motors used in test:
    1) KL23H256-21-8B
    2) KL23H276-28-4B
    3) KL23H276-30-8B
    4) KL23H2100-30-4B

The 4 motors were connected to the G540 and all motors were set to 3.3A per phase and parallel connected (where applicable). The ambient temperature during the testing was 26.8C so the test results have been adjusted downwards 1.8C to normalize the results to the standard 25C ambient.

Test 1; G540 temperature at max dissipation. Conditions: 24VDC, 4 axis at 3.3A, all axis at 48 RPM, motors unloaded, still air, G540 oriented on its side. The G540 took 25 minutes to stabilize at 51.8C (125 F). The power supply current at 24VDC was 2.92 Amps.

The supply voltage was increased to 50VDC. The G540 case temperature stabilized at 54.9C (131 F). Power supply current at 50VDC was 2.04 Amps.

Test 2; G540 temperature during standby (zero RPM). At 24VDC supply current was 1.45 Amps and temperature settled at 38.4C. At 50VDC supply current was 1.32A Amps and temperature was 43.3C.

Test3; G540 temp at 1,350 RPM. Temp was 29.7C, current 1.71A at 24VDC.

Test 4; G540 temp at 3,000 RPM. Temp was 30.7C, current 2.96A at 24VDC. Temp was 33.1C, current 2.34A at 50VDC.

Motors did get hot:

1) 65.8C for KL23H256-21-8B
    2) 64.2C for KL23H276-28-4B
    3) 52.6C for KL23H276-30-8B
    4) 47.2C for KL23H2100-30-4B

Mariss

So are we going too say that 3) 52.6C for KL23H276-30-8B is still an ok candidate

-Jason

Actually the setup and interface of all the other stuff is extensive. Everything from "how do I hook up limit switches," or "I need to turn on my router" have to be addressed at a level that people with other skill sets can understand. There are hundreds of terms we in the HSCNC world use that are not part of everyday jargon. There is no place for arrogance because a person happens to have more knowledge in one area then someone else.

I stand in awe of you guys that can run a vertical mill manually and turn out precision product. The welders and fabricators that work in 3D but cut in 2 are amazing.

For some it's a hobby and part of the fun is learning. You learn best by making mistakes and then correcting them....but it takes time and resolve on the part of the student. For some it's more about what you can do with the machine than the actual build.

The vast majority of my support calls are for, what in electronics, would be considered "easy" but I always try to remember that what is easy for me is not so for a skilled fabricator (I am a really marginal welder!). We have gravitated to the systems approach from simple board level products by talking to hundreds of CNC builders. Note that our BladeRunner packages include an AC side control for the Power Supply, I/O Relays and interface card for AC or DC loads and an expansion buss that will leverage our new Single Port UBOB card.

The nice thing about this industry is that there are now all points of entry. You can elect to build your own motor drives, and even wind your own transformer for your own power supply. You can buy boards and be your own "integrator". You can write code and make your own control software; You can elect to buy products already built and tested. Each will move you along the path of building your own CNC machine but each point of entry up the chain shortens the timeline to final build.

Mariss and I both are lucky. We are working and making a living do stuff we (mostly) love to do. Along the way we have paid dues to get there.

TOM CAUDLE
    www.CandCNC.com

his has been a interesting thread to say the least. I to am retired and I get up every day and do exactly what I want to do. I've been wanting to build a cnc table and after educating myself in this endeavor it seems to be the gecko for me. Don't pay any mind to the stupid. It's sad to see people bad mouthing you and they probably have a hard time putting their shoes on. Cosider the source and forget about it.When you make a business decision for what ever reason I respect it. No one is twisting my arm to buy a product that is a better product than most others in this field. I'd like to thank you Mariss, as well as the whole Gecko team in the development of a fine product.

Tom great post!

Enough said.

-Jason

Tom,

I completely agree with you. A majestic life is one where your life's work is also your love and you have performed it with every ounce of your ability. One where you have taken risks and dared to jump over hurdles you knew were higher than you'd ever jumped before. A life, when it draws to a close, that you can smile about with satisfaction and say "I have no regrets. I lived it to the fullest and I never lost will or courage when opportunity and challenge came my way. There is nothing I wish I had done but didn't".

My wife Jan and I call it "Riding the tail of the Tiger". You can choose to get on or not should you be lucky enough to come across the Tiger. If you get on, it will try to throw you to see if you are worthy of the ride. The ride will be a wild one, every minute of it. It will take you places you never dreamed you could go and you'll do things you never thought you could do. When she and I get off one day, we'll look at each other and grin. A look will pass, a nod with a smile, and both of us will know our life was lived to it's limits with no regrets. There will be no wishes about "Had we only tried harder".

That's pretty much all I have for the inspirational kind of thing.

Mariss

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    Preliminary G540 test results:

Motors used in test:
    1) KL23H256-21-8B
    2) KL23H276-28-4B
    3) KL23H276-30-8B
    4) KL23H2100-30-4B

The 4 motors were connected to the G540 and all motors were set to 3.3A per phase and parallel connected (where applicable). The ambient temperature during the testing was 26.8C so the test results have been adjusted downwards 1.8C to normalize the results to the standard 25C ambient.

Test 1; G540 temperature at max dissipation. Conditions: 24VDC, 4 axis at 3.3A, all axis at 48 RPM, motors unloaded, still air, G540 oriented on its side. The G540 took 25 minutes to stabilize at 51.8C (125 F). The power supply current at 24VDC was 2.92 Amps.

The supply voltage was increased to 50VDC. The G540 case temperature stabilized at 54.9C (131 F). Power supply current at 50VDC was 2.04 Amps.

Test 2; G540 temperature during standby (zero RPM). At 24VDC supply current was 1.45 Amps and temperature settled at 38.4C. At 50VDC supply current was 1.32A Amps and temperature was 43.3C.

Test3; G540 temp at 1,350 RPM. Temp was 29.7C, current 1.71A at 24VDC.

Test 4; G540 temp at 3,000 RPM. Temp was 30.7C, current 2.96A at 24VDC. Temp was 33.1C, current 2.34A at 50VDC.

Motors did get hot:

1) 65.8C for KL23H256-21-8B
    2) 64.2C for KL23H276-28-4B
    3) 52.6C for KL23H276-30-8B
    4) 47.2C for KL23H2100-30-4B

Mariss
    Hi Mariss

The Rated Temp is about 80C- 85C. They will work great with your G540 Driver.
    Thank you
    John

Shaweet!

-Jason

Mariss,

I, along with farley, am retired. I am finally realizing to what extent you are affecting the CNC industry, for the hobbyist and up. After many months of searching for an after-work job, CNC - hobbyist level - is it. Many, many months were spent researching and learning what I needed to know to accomplish my build. Even so, many more months (years?) will be needed to become proficient.

Once again, I must extend KUDOS to you. I honestly believe you have shortened my learning curve, in reference to electronics, and have mitigated much of my confusion. You could say you forced me to learn.

Others have done similarly with their write-ups on the construction of their routers. By explaining why they did what was done, insight was given to their choices for their builds.

All of this made my build possible.

Now, I will have something besides, fishing, traveling, home remodeling, RC airplane flying - had to give up the real thing, and a myriad of other things.

I actually like working with my hands and creating things that are functional and sometimes pleasing to look at. By doing various things, I believe I am rounding out my life in the manner I desire.

I thank you for the part you played in getting me to my present stage of CNCing.

Al

mariss ,

not wanting to open a can of worms..you know best how to answer ,or whether to answer or not..so..

if i might ask,what part of the "business aspect" are you wanting to leave out from now on? the price per component,price per labor,price of boards, etc etc ?? i understand what a fuss it can start from expecting something to turn out one way then it turn out another,some one comes to me and asks "how long will it take to finish that part?" (i am a machinest) i say "it should take me a few more hours" then some time the next day...i am actually done

i enjoy reading all the post about overcoming a problem by using a lil' ingenuity.while i am sorry to say i dont understand alot of what i read...it does stimulate the mind , if i wanna learn more ,i can always do a search and find out some more....but in the end i am mostly interested in the final result,and what it will do for me..as in how fast the driver will run a motor,how long it will run before problems.

as i said ,im very happy to hear how you have "overcome" .have enjoyed it from almost the beginning .i hope you dont change a thing,even if you do have some problems along the way ..its nice to hear about them and how you have worked a way around them,thanks for letting us peek in your minds window.
    "witty comment"

Quote Originally Posted by .xXACEXx. View Post
    mariss ,

not wanting to open a can of worms..you know best how to answer ,or whether to answer or not..so..

if i might ask,what part of the "business aspect" are you wanting to leave out from now on?
    #1 is probably pricing. With release schedules close behind.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

.xXaceXx.,

Not really wanting to avoid a can of worms so much as bite marks on my posterior.:-)

My job includes designing stuff (which I love to do) as well as managing a company (which I hate to do). Blessedly the latter is something I'm actively divesting myself of by putting Marcus and Marissa into positions of increasing responsibility. My hope is within 2 years I will have no say in how the company is run or the direction it takes. That will be a happy day for me.

Right now I still have significant input to the entire process from soup to nuts. The part you asked about, the can of worms, is this. I love designing and I love the company my family and I have built. We build good stuff, we treat people like they are humans and we try real hard not to screw up.

Like everyone else, I was very excited about designing a quality, small drive that would sell for a really cheap price. What dawned on me were the consequences of actually meeting that goal. It's the "Be careful of what you wish for, it may come true" warning.

The realization was selling these drives direct at $31 in single quantities would have killed Geckodrive because of unanticipated reasons; it takes 20 minutes to process an order!

I live in the production area of the shop. Next to the 3 high-speed SMT pick-and-place machines, the 12' long 38kW reflow conveyor oven, between the board stenciling stations against the south wall. I live in the middle of where work is done, the middle engineering cubicle between the quality control final test cubicles and the board assembly cubicles. I figured it costs $6.20 to build a G250, good deal, turn them out at $31 a pop. Dumb.

I rarely go into the front office (phones, accounting and billing, internet order computers, order processing). It's a different world; carpet on the floor and air-conditioning. I had setup a meeting on how we will handle the new G250 product. What followed was an eye-opener.

The 4 girls up front (my wife, daughter, Lynnda and Andrea love to be called girls) handle $20,000 of business on an average day. That much stuff goes out the back door and ships every day. What became very clear was if each handled 3 orders per hour (20 minutes per), they could do 96 orders a day at $31 each for a grand total of less than $3K a day. Geckodrive would have starved; "terrific new product, company died" is what the tombstone would have read.

The only solution was to have a steeply declining price vs. quantity discount. I'm sorry for everyone who thought "Hmm.. $31 per drive, I might buy one at that price" but this is the reality from my perspective. We will build and sell the vast majority (95%+) of G250s at $31 and make a good profit. We will make $24 and change on each one. The difference is they will ship in 1,000 lot quantities. Geckodrive will thrive.

This is the kind of stuff I will hold back in the future. It is the stuff that is like a tour through the sausage factory. Go through it and you will lose your appetite. Most importantly, it has no technical merit or any value someone can benefit from unless they are going for an MBA major in business.

This is the last I will have to say on this subject.

Mariss

Cool 1/2 dozen minimum order would net you $20,000 a day.

A 1/2 dozen minimum order times 96 would still net you almost 20K per day.

Just like a donut special.

That's simple arithmetic.

JoeyB

Mariss,
    You mentioned that the Rev.7 G25x's will be available soon. Last I read, you mentined the issues with Rev.5 drives. What did you discover with Rev.6?

Andrey

A new revision is assigned if we so much as change the position of a single resistor on a printed circuit board. In this case, a single resistor was added to the circuit which reduced the regulated 12VDC ripple from 50mV to 5mV.

The G250 and G251 manuals are completed. If interested, see the attached pdf files.

Mariss
    Attached Files Attached Files

What about that 540

-Jason

A typo in the G250 manual (The description of the disable pin.):
    It freewheels the step motor when it is taken to a logic ‘0’. The motor runs normally if it is left unconnected or taken to a logic ‘0’.

Page 65 of 90 1555636465666775