585,668 active members*
4,002 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 84 of 90 34748283848586
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1793
    Ahh. Been awhile since i read that.

I have been running the lab supply this way about 6 or 8 months, so not real long. The toroidal close to a year. The switcher close to two years and I haven't used the linear supply in about a year. Used it for a couple years before, but not with Gecko's.

It may depend on motor and machine size and type as to whether it's required. I know I am only running my motors at 3 amps for 201's and 203V's, so not even close to their rating on amps, but closer to the voltage rating on one set of 203V's.

I don't think the Taig is capable of putting out the back emf, but maybe I am wrong. It's obvious that I don't know all I think I do.

Let someone else chime in that knows more on the subject.
    Especially if you are running the 251's closer to their max voltage and amps, as you would be capable of with that lab supply.
    Lee

When will the new motor be available? I doon't see it on the website anywhere.

Kenith

It came in it came in! I love it! Really excited and really like the Decal! Will look awesome on my enclosure.

Anyway, I want to get this up and running but while I wait for my PS. I wanna start wiring the connectors.

I have this motor: http://www.kelinginc.net/KL23H276-30-8B.pdf
    Power Supply will be 48 Volt 7.7 amps.

Wiring it for the most efficient way would be in Parallel I believe.

But With my wires (colors) I don't know which to attach and to wire to the Sub D-9 connectors.

Can some please help me?

-Jason

Smile

Pin 6 Brown Orange
    pin 7 Black White

Pin 8 Blue Yellow
    Pin 9 Red Green

Thank you Jalessi!

-Jason

Video of machine using G251s

Apart from the confusion as to whether or not the G251s are opto-isolated, the drives installed easily and integerated easily with the MACH software as you would expect. There has been a bit of confusion as to if the drive is opto-isolated as the website used to say that it was. As there is no isolation, it appears as though there is some sort of ground-loop problem causing a vibration on the motor(s) while at rest. This should be easy to resolve when I get a chance.

Here is a video of the first run of the machine using the G251 drives. With only a few minutes of tuning, the X-Y rapids are at 600 IPM. This is really good considering the ratios of the mechanical drives, and that I am only using a 35 volt supply.

One of the more "difficult" tasks in tuning things was the slow-speed adjustment on the drive itself. Finding a screwdriver tip that would fit well into the POT proved to be a problem. It is a tiny philips screw that is very shallow so you almost need a small screwdriver with the tip ground flat.

This should be the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=RIAMCNC

Not sure if I did everything correct with setting up the You Tube account or even the link to the video. It appears to work for me, but I know how these things can get a bit "wanky".

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    As there is no isolation, it appears as though there is some sort of ground-loop problem causing a vibration on the motor(s) while at rest. This should be easy to resolve when I get a chance.

Chris
    Hi Chris

Mariss solved the problem of the noisy motors at idle and as you say it is a ground loop problem caused by the lack of optoisolation. The solution was to put a 100 Ohm resistor in series with the DB-25 ground to G251 terminal 12. I did this for each drive and everything went silent. I have ordered a CNC4PC breakout box and will install it once it arrives but in the mean time things are working spot on.

Cheers
    Peter
    The ingenuity of idiots is unlimited.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cncnutz

This is really good considering the ratios of the mechanical drives, and that I am only using a 35 volt supply.
    That is fast !
    How many turns/inch are your lead screws ?

Gecko's RED circuit

"Many people on the CNC Zone forums seem use a switching supply as-is. I'm curious if this is a recommendation, or a "must have". My application is a Taig Mill and my rapids are under 3 inches of travel, so I never really get up to full speed." (edferg)

I'm still trying to get a handle on these power issues. From what I read, the power supply or the geckodrive or both can be damaged on rapid deceleration of a "large inertial load" if not protected. Just what constitutes a large load or a rapid deceleration I'm not sure.

"I know I am only running my motors at 3 amps for 201's and 203V's, so not even close to their rating on amps, but closer to the voltage rating on one set of 203V's." (leeway)

Maybe it hasn't been such an issue since as in your case when running with 201s and 203s they are often operating below their rated capacities. Yet with the 250s, 251s, and 540s things might be different as it seems they'll be running more at or near their rated capacities especially with nema 23s.

Geckodrive has a circuit on their website called Returned Energy Dump which can dissipate any energy returns. This RED circuit uses just a 1000uF 100V capacitor. Here's that link. Maybe someone can help me with the transistor marked "TIP147" and the "D1" diode, like for example Mouser part numbers!

Apart from the confusion as to whether or not the G251s are opto-isolated, the drives installed easily and integerated easily with the MACH software as you would expect. There has been a bit of confusion as to if the drive is opto-isolated as the website used to say that it was. As there is no isolation, it appears as though there is some sort of ground-loop problem causing a vibration on the motor(s) while at rest. This should be easy to resolve when I get a chance.

Here is a video of the first run of the machine using the G251 drives. With only a few minutes of tuning, the X-Y rapids are at 600 IPM. This is really good considering the ratios of the mechanical drives, and that I am only using a 35 volt supply.

One of the more "difficult" tasks in tuning things was the slow-speed adjustment on the drive itself. Finding a screwdriver tip that would fit well into the POT proved to be a problem. It is a tiny philips screw that is very shallow so you almost need a small screwdriver with the tip ground flat.

Not sure if I did everything correct with setting up the You Tube account or even the link to the video. It appears to work for me, but I know how these things can get a bit "wanky".

Chris
    Thanks for the write up. :rainfro: This is good to know.

Nice machine in the Video, did you build it?
    I especially like what I think is a couple of vinyl strips that are together at rest protecting the screw and seperate as the gantry moves, good idea. Could you post some more detail pictures of this machine?

Thanks
    Hager

Mouser part numbers you could use are:
    TIP147 = 512-TIP147T
    D1 = 512-1N4007

Chris
    Very good machine
    www.kelinginc.net

Thanks very much rwaudio.

Chris
    Looks like a good set-up! What size motors does it use?
    Cheers, Bob
    http://www.ocm.com.au/wordpress/

Chris D and G251, a happy couple

WOW

Any chance you might post/share your code for your test program? Are you a choreographer by day? Impressive machine and demonstration.

Magic Dust

Well my little G251 drives arrived well packaged. Hooked them up for some trials. Ran to 6.5M min before stall. The 201 drives run to 4M min before stall. Mariss, I don't know what magic dust you've sprinkled over these little baby drives to give them so much life but I want some!!!
    Great work.

Cam

select a higher rated D1 for "Returned Energy Dump"

Quote Originally Posted by rwaudio View Post
    Mouser part numbers you could use are:
    TIP147 = 512-TIP147T
    D1 = 512-1N4007
    You will need something bigger for D1, the 512-1N4007 is only rated at 1A. From my understanding of the circuit "Normally power supply current flows thru rectifier D1", therefore D1 needs to be rated at the power supply current. This is why there is no part number identified in the circuit as it will depend on your application. To find the correct diode search for "rectifier diode" and chose one with a rated current equal to or greater than your power supplies max current. e.g. power supply current is 7.5Amps, find an 8-10Amp rectifier diode.

Quote Originally Posted by P.Passuello View Post
    Hi Chris

Mariss solved the problem of the noisy motors at idle and as you say it is a ground loop problem caused by the lack of optoisolation. The solution was to put a 100 Ohm resistor in series with the DB-25 ground to G251 terminal 12. I did this for each drive and everything went silent. I have ordered a CNC4PC breakout box and will install it once it arrives but in the mean time things are working spot on.

Cheers
    Peter
    Hi Peter,

Maybe this weekend I can tinker with it and see how well that works out.

Thanks

Chris

it sucks that of all the weeks, my PayPal is giving me troubles and I can't buy from Kelinginc I started wiring things this week but need my PS! I need to start cutting!

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    Thanks for the write up. :rainfro: This is good to know.

Nice machine in the Video, did you build it?
    I especially like what I think is a couple of vinyl strips that are together at rest protecting the screw and seperate as the gantry moves, good idea. Could you post some more detail pictures of this machine?

Thanks
    Hager
    Yes, I built it and still am working on it. I am not sure what "Vinyl strips" you are referring to. I suspect if they are black, those are the IGUS energy chains. They only contain and guide the wires and hoses for pneumatics.

Only the Z axis has a ball screw (.2 pitch, over driven with timing belt 2.5 : 1). The X and Y axes are belt driven and I don't recall the exact resolution breakdown at the moment. If I recall correctly, one step (micro step) equals .0002" based on all the belts and pulleys. I could easily drive this thing faster with less gearing, but I wanted the higher resolution in positioning.

Once I get a bit further along with the machine I will post more videos or pictures but for now things are a bit too messy and rough.

Chris

Page 84 of 90 34748283848586