584,830 active members*
5,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MIRROR IMAGE WITH MY FANUC 18-M

I HAVE FOUND HOW TO TURN MIRROR IMAGE ON AND OFF AT THE CONTROL, THROUGH THE SOFT KEYS, BUT CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE IT WORK. I MUST BE MISSING A CODE. I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY I CAN CHANGE EACH AXIS INDEPENDANTLY, BUT IT DOESNT DO WHAT I WANT.
    THANKS,
    PICMAN

Reply to: Mirror Imaging with Fanuc 18M controls...

I was told that in order to utilize the mirror image feature there is a certain proceedure which requires that you kill the main power and restart the machine prior to resetting you work offset(s). This is where I seem to have the problem. When I attempt to mirror the program about the x-axis I run into a problem with the G54 offset. I am sure that I must compensate for the differences between the before and after mirroring x-coordinates, but I am unsure exactly how to do this...

ur supposed to go to OFFSETS, page down and do it there... then cycle power..

You're absolutely right...

I was using a Quantum Q-1500V vetical machining center with a Fanuc 18M controller when I was having trouble mirror imaging a program I had written for a part that had both left and right hand versions. After inquiring about the process involved with mirror imaging a program, which is just as you've mentioned (determine which axis are to be mirrored through the offsets screen and then restart the control by cycling the power), I was told that in some of the older controls the power has to be turned off and on again in order for the control to reconfigure the axis encoders. Whether or not this is a true fact I don't know, but the process worked; and so I am thankful...