585,715 active members*
3,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Acme rod?

Acme rod?

Anybody know were one can get acme rod in Canada, im looking for 1/2 10 tpi or 8 tpi 2 start. I got a quote for 2 8' pieces for like $500 bucks, I don't need gold plated acme just regular acme, I know mcmasters has it but im Canadian so thats the end of that! Sorry that came out like that but hey, I phoned I dont know how many fastner shops and they dont even know what 2 start is, Any way if any knows please let me know. I think if any body has a cnc lathe I bet they could make a killing here in Canada. Graham

Try BCbearings.com in your area, or CBS equipment in eastern Canada.

Weldtutor thanks for the info, seems bcbearing never herd of 2 start but are track some for me ans cbs ,s web site is done for repairs, but i did find out that roton ships to canada, they have every kind of screw you can imagine so thats cool, little more than mcmasters but thats ok by me. $7.31 per foot for 1/2 8 tpi 2 start plus they sell taps to make my own lead nuts so cool. Thanks again for your help. graham

Quote Originally Posted by grahamshere View Post
    Weldtutor thanks for the info, seems bcbearing never herd of 2 start but are track some for me ans cbs ,s web site is done for repairs, but i did find out that roton ships to canada, they have every kind of screw you can imagine so thats cool, little more than mcmasters but thats ok by me. $7.31 per foot for 1/2 8 tpi 2 start plus they sell taps to make my own lead nuts so cool. Thanks again for your help. graham
    You could just buy the plastic nuts that Roton sells and modify them like this.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=46

That's what I plan on doing on a new machine I'm currently designing that'll use 3/4" 4-start screws.

Or send a small piece to DumpsterCNC and see if his nuts will fit, or if he can make you some that will. Probably cheaper than buying that tap.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I've ordered from Roton and was very happy with the product.Had it shipped next day UPS to Ontario.

regards

The problem I've found with most Canadian suppliers for these cnc bits, is the people on the order/quote desk are overpaid, ignorant muppets! They don't even have a clue about their own line cards. After I spoon feed them all of the information, it takes them 3 days to get me a quote, and it's usually at a retarded price!

Arg...
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

HI guys thanks for the help,

Ger 21, Im guessing the 1/8 file is for the groove for the o ring on the antibacklash nut. The flang nuts on the roton web site are 1.5" long and only .75 deep after the thread that would leave 1/8" thick wall, is that enough to make that groove with out it breaking?
    Also notice they dont have any hex nuts for the hi-lead screws, Guess the would be easy to make with a piece of the treaded rod, there just for holding the rod in place.What do you think?

Cam1 , thats good to here because thats were im ordering from, I emaild them on a saterday and they replied to me that night so I was very suprised to see that.

Dsl, I here what your saying, I phone 4 places here in BC and not one knew what I was talking about.took them 2 days toget a quote, But $500.00 thats with out the nuts and shipping, dam at rotons you can get a whole ball screw set up for that. What are these people thinking? Think I need to get me a screw machine and start a new buisness lol. Graham

Ger 21, Im guessing the 1/8 file is for the groove for the o ring on the antibacklash nut. The flang nuts on the roton web site are 1.5" long and only .75 deep after the thread that would leave 1/8" thick wall, is that enough to make that groove with out it breaking?

Actually, I was going to turn the groove for the O-ring using my wood lathe. The file was to round the end of the slots to remove the sharp corners which might be weak spots. You don't need a very deep groove to hold the O-ring.

Also notice they dont have any hex nuts for the hi-lead screws, Guess the would be easy to make with a piece of the treaded rod, there just for holding the rod in place.What do you think?
    The reason you don't see any nuts for multiple start screws is because they won't get tight. If you need a way to hold them in place, you'll either need to get the ends turned down to mount them in a bearing block, or use some type of clamp on collars.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dsl, I here what your saying, I phone 4 places here in BC and not one knew what I was talking about.took them 2 days toget a quote, But $500.00 thats with out the nuts and shipping, dam at rotons you can get a whole ball screw set up for that. What are these people thinking? Think I need to get me a screw machine and start a new buisness lol. Graham
    It can be hit and miss, after many years of procuring PT components, you get to learn which company and specifically which salesman in that company knows where to find stuff and get pricing quickly.
    I have some really good guys locally who can source my items.
    For leadscrews I generally look at either Roton or Nook and get them from local distrubuters.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I know it's a little late, but here's a source. Maybe for next time. They have a bunch of Canadian locations. Fastenal on the forums seems to be either a LOVE or HATE kind of place.

1/2-10 x 12' Plain Acme Threaded Rod
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0162475
    $36.84 ?local stock? they say normally 3-10 days

1/2"-10 x 6' ACME Low Carbon Steel Threaded Rod
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=47549
    $22.26 should be a local stock item

or try Bolt Supple House

Hi,

I'm not sure about what is the acme rod vs normal one but you can find cheap ROD 1/2 or 1/4 or 5/8 at Home Depot or Canadian Tire.

They are much cheaper compared to the one find online

The price by 3 foots is 5/9$.
    http://www.cncfreak.com

Rancher
    Fastenal ONLY sells fastener grade ACME. This thread is about leadscrew grade.

Labidus
    CTC/Home depot does not sell ACME rod (that I know of).
    ACME and V-thread do not get used for the same applications.
    Fastenal is generally 1/2 price to CTC (for OEM guys anyway).
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Try this acme rod site!

Quote Originally Posted by Labidus View Post
    Hi,

I'm not sure about what is the acme rod vs normal one but you can find cheap ROD 1/2 or 1/4 or 5/8 at Home Depot or Canadian Tire.

They are much cheaper compared to the one find online

The price by 3 foots is 5/9$.
    You will require the acme rod (which is very expensive in Canada) I do have Fastenal trying to search out some for me. I have not yet found a site that has 2 start rod (in Canada). There are several grades as well as classes of rod and nuts.

Good luck on your hunt, please let me know if you find some.

Thanks
    John

Try this link for information

http://www.nookindustries.com/acme/AcmeGlossary.cfm

I found them to explain the acme rod quite well.
    John

Hey Check Twice, go to the roton site , thttp://www.roton.com hey have hilead acme srews there, there not in canada but do ship here, plust thay have the cheaper metal other than stainless which is prity pricey, they also have multi start as well. Graham

good acme site!

Hey Check Twice, go to the roton site , thttp://www.roton.com hey have hilead acme srews there, there not in canada but do ship here, plust thay have the cheaper metal other than stainless which is prity pricey, they also have multi start as well. Graham
    Thanks Graham

I was looking at some 1/2"x 8 or 10 (have not figured pros and cons of the two) double start and either flanges or "G" class nuts (seems to have the less lead) these are still areas to be explored. I would likely put stainless on the wish list but when reality clicks in it has to fall in the budget.

Thanks for the help and a great site!
    John

What are you building? router,mill,lathe? Depending on your drivers and motors as well. I read on another forum some one using 10 tpi 5 start and was getting 400 imp rapids with xylotex drivers and motors, not sure how much torque he loses with that set up but dam fast rapids.Graham

CNC Router table

I hope to build a CNC router (JROG), to do engraving mostly and what ever. I am a hobbist and not an engineer. I am fairly handy with the hands and my son the computers (joint venture) so learning. We have a fair workshop and have made several other projects. This is the largest to date, but always liked a challenge.

We were looking at the kits from HobbyCNC driver board and motors, my son said this is what seems to be the common motors used but always open to suggestions. He is away until Sunday but will get the motor sepcs. on his return.

I have used acme from Fastenal for my thickness sander but finding their rod not to be suitable for this project.

Thanks
    John

The jgro is a good machine for the first, I made the solsylva because of the step by step plans plus lots of pictures lol. Im not sure which lead screws the jgro call for so if there smaller than the 1/2 acme make sure you use the right bearings if you go with 1/2 inch. Hobbycnc is popular with hobby machines, I used the Xylotex because the board was already made, I know if I had to slder all those pieces id blow somthing. When you decide on the screws ask hobbycnc what motors he recomends. I would get a multi start screw for sure, you get more speed plus you will have less whip in your screws. So if you have 10 tpi with 1 start you may get 50 imp but you may run into a bit of whip. But if you have 10 tpi 2 start you can have or better speeds with less whip. Hope this helps. Graham

going to check.

I will ask my son when he gets home to check the xylotex, we are also using a motor/board kit. Thanks on the info on single and double start. I have so much to learn. I will take photos as I go along and post as well, I can see the CNCZone communuty will be an excellent resource center.

I thank you for taking the time to chat.
    John from Nova Scotia