584,862 active members*
5,415 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Hmm, I'll have to call about that. Yeah I have a scheduled a postconfig webex or whatever but most likely I will never have the time to do it haha. I was recently sick with the flu for two days and Mark had a little problem with me being the only person able to program the ecas machines so he really wants me to take the "class".

Post Changes

Hey, how are things going ver there, did the last post update help you out?

Bill Cain

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianK View Post
    Hmm, I'll have to call about that. Yeah I have a scheduled a postconfig webex or whatever but most likely I will never have the time to do it haha. I was recently sick with the flu for two days and Mark had a little problem with me being the only person able to program the ecas machines so he really wants me to take the "class".

Quote Originally Posted by billcain View Post
    Hey, how are things going ver there, did the last post update help you out?

Bill Cain
    Things are real busy haha. Tried to work out some bugs on the new version 70 (i dont know if this is the newest post) and still having some issues. The offsetting of the stock and switching to Z3 move stock stationary (m142,m143) does not include the m142 and m143 code. Channel one sets the Z in and then waits channel 3 with a wcs141 but that is it. Without the m142 and m143 it still will give an alarm.

Easy fix just.

A few things that would be nice to add to the post would be after topcut and the setting of z turn off the spindle. I have been manually adding this for awhile. As would adding the broken cutoff tool detection.

Alot of problems with the follow support during cutoff still too. Seems like partmaker likes to put out redundant spin syncs and z syncs. It also likes to spit out a speed designation after it is already synced to main spindle. This causes an alarm.

Oooh and one more thing...channel 2 spits out a Y offset even when it isn't in polar yet or even not doing polar mode. Just changing the Y to an X would be fine. Although redundant.

Issues

I will take a look next week at these issues. Definitly would like to get this taken care of for you.

Bill Cain
    www.partmaker.com

Process Engineer

Hello Guys, I'm new to this site but I really wanted to share with you my thoughts regarding Partmaker. I've been programming Swiss for 15 years on everything from Star, Tsugami, Citizen, & Deco Tornos and I programmed all of these machines by hand in Fanuc, Mitsubishi, & Seimons 840Di so a couple years ago when I first started using Partmaker I was pretty sceptical about it and Im telling you Cam programming for Swiss isn't going away even Gibbs cam is trying to get into this market. I've worked out the bugs with the support of Partmaker on an Ecas20 10 Axis if someone is using that post it should be vs64 now. I can go from my PC to the machine without making edit's on very complicated multitool syncronized machining like pinch milling, Drill and turn, Ect. Sometimes I've thought it was the post screwing up and I find by doing a Quick NC program and reading the code I can go back and set things up differant and then it posts correctly, anyone with an Ecas should be aware you need to select the tool vs stock movement to control that Z3. If your company is paying maintenance I suggest you zip your files to them when things are not working right and get it fixed. I've got to a point that I can make my program's look like the one's I'de write by hand and like I said I never thought Cam could handle doing wait codes like it does. If you've ran siemons 840Di you'll know a thing or two about alarms and syntex error and I can use partmaker programs alarm free. Quick NC and support will be key to anyone's success.

THink differnent

Hi,

I understand the poeple which are really pisof off when a postpro doesn't work. I also understand that for what you paid you have a software which is not the one you need. The good question is, before you buy that kind of tool you should make some tests and not only use the animation on the screen. I'ts just there to sale a product but what you need is a couple of test parts you are running in your shop. When the code is right and when the machine is running then you have reached your.
    I'm using Alphacam, Gibbscam and SylvieXpert and the all have the same problems.
    Wha you buy a cam software it's a long term investment and you will have to work together with them to fine tune your postpro. But don't forget that you also have to take the time to learn it right, to take a course.

For swiss type machines try to look at that:

http://www.jurasoftswiss.com/en/

I'm not sure that I've seen a rev 1 post from the distributor that posts perfectly. Generally, in my experience a little tweaking will be necessary. Our mills still run Brand Y and they have to hand edit every post before they can throw it in the controller. I just rolled over from Brand Y to Partmaker and had the Brand Y post perfect after about 6 months of tweaking. It does take time, and I have found out on more than one occasion that it it not the post putting out junk code so much as me not setting a parameter in the job file correctly. Once you figure out the methodology of the software, and understand how the selected settings will affect the posted code as a whole, then you will better be able to post edit free programs. Sometimes something as simple as changing your cutting point will change your code entirely.
    Star SR20RII/Fanuc 18i, DMG CTX310V4/Fanuc 32i, DMG CTX310ECO/Siemens 8400, Mori NV5000/MAPS, Bridgeport 760/Fanuc 18i, Kiamaster 4NEII60/Fanuc 3t;Partmaker, Gibbscam

I was forced into learning Partmaker for "consistency amongst programmers" reasons. Not only do we not have a way to macro hex's and other loop cycles without config-post pro, but comp for Swiss requires me to click comp-right for g41. what the heck? I know the Part-maker people are very intelligent, but why the heck cant we have free options of what they call "retro"? (this is what we were told on the macro question. I don't want a long hand version of a mill cycle of a hexalobe. could darn well be 1000 lines of code to fix one thing. I have the formulas for a hexalobe and turned into our own G-code, but cant get squat from our 10k software to spit out without editing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianK View Post
    I use partmaker almost everyday to create about 70% of my programs. Most programs will need to be manually edited due to custom tooling we have. Threadwhirlers and such are all custom. Most profile paths and general milling/turning is programmed correctly though.

I have come to the conclusion that for swiss machines this is as good as it will get.
    As far as I'm concerned it takes too long to do anything on partmaker I used a demo of featurecam and I was very impressed these days it's all about marketing out there..featurecam is much more powerful and easier and the post processors at least from what I was told by a user I know definitely has confidence it's right...if you have to configure a post processor your doing partmaker work for them..

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Partmaker was one of the biggest mistakes that our company ever made. We mainly got it for our star SV-32. I don't think that the people who wrote the program even know what the machine looks like let alone look at the books for a sample program. In the time that it takes to go through the program and generate something that won't work on the machine I can have 4 programs wrote and debugged. Word of advice STAY AWAY!!! The portion of the program for the turn mills and mills isn't much better.

Carl
    It's all about marketing if the post processor doesn't work then what good is it..mastercam is doing swiss and turn.mill they will get their pouts in order and in my opinion will be the better Cad Cam at some point..I always regarded them as the best one..

Does anyone here has a working partmaker post processor for swiss lathe?

Does anyone here can share their working post processor for swiss cam?

Hi,
    It
    I work for a family business, which recently acquired a Citizen L20E. Currently they program with a very old version of PartMaker and do not have the Post Processor (Files for Full Simulation). You know of some page where you can find the Post Processor for this type of machine?

Re: PARTMAKER USERS

Quote Originally Posted by yoopertool View Post
    I dont use it personally, but the company I work for does. Sometimes the program is a blessing to have, and other times i am better off writing a program by hand! Oh well, it keeps things exciting! How does everyone else feel about it?
    yes i make prog from partmaker and customise my own post

Quote Originally Posted by ecn View Post
    Does anyone here has a working partmaker post processor for swiss lathe?
    which controller what series

Quote Originally Posted by 17chive View Post
    Hi,
    It
    I work for a family business, which recently acquired a Citizen L20E. Currently they program with a very old version of PartMaker and do not have the Post Processor (Files for Full Simulation). You know of some page where you can find the Post Processor for this type of machine?
    i have post if u want send me sample file with g & m Codes i will modify the post and send it to u

does anyone have the machine files(*MCH ) for simulation osp5000 lathe okuma, thanks

Page 2 of 2 12