585,737 active members*
4,764 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Cheap MPG for CNC using optical mouse center encoder
Page 1 of 3 123

Cheap MPG for CNC using optical mouse center encoder

I'm in a process of building a MPG pendant for Mach3. Not willing to pay high price for the industrial encoder, I crack open an optical mouse and found that the center wheel encoder can be easily interfaced to the parallel port to provide the quadrature signals for Mach3.

It's a 3-pin encoder (not optical) that can be used directly with just 2 10k pull up resistors. More details here http://www.9w2bsr.com/2008_01_01_archive.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01188.jpg  
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

encoder

Very interesting. Good post and I would like to see more.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by abasir View Post
    I'm in a process of building a MPG pendant for Mach3. Not willing to pay high price for the industrial encoder, I crack open an optical mouse and found that the center wheel encoder can be easily interfaced to the parallel port to provide the quadrature signals for Mach3.

It's a 3-pin encoder (not optical) that can be used directly with just 2 10k pull up resistors. More details here http://www.9w2bsr.com/2008_01_01_archive.html
    No wanting to dampen your enthusiasm, Not all MPGs have to be expensive. Have a look at;

http://homanndesigns.com/store/index...products_id=30

Cheers,

Peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

encoder

Maybe I missed something..... that encoder costs $65....his would cost $5....

B

good work pls involve us in ur build...

Excellent!!!
    Great work! I will be following this thread with great interest.

Is it dificult to use the optical pickups out a mouse? I could easily make a wheel with 100 slots in it so is there any reason a circut couldn't be made to use the optical pickups out of a mouse?

Chich

MPG's

I've got an idea for an MPG. You could print a "clock disk" on transparancy with a laser printer and use a couple of opto-interupters (even from a mouse) to read it. If you need a little stiffness you could sandwitch the clock disk between 2 thin pieces of plastic.

Opto-interupters are really easy to connect. Most of them are 3 wire, +5 v, ground, and output. The output is generally open collector and will go to ground when the light path is not interupted.

You could even make your own custom pulse count encoder.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard52 View Post
    Maybe I missed something..... that encoder costs $65....his would cost $5....

B
    Ok, fair point. To some, $65.99 is expensive, to others it is cheap.

If you want to a cheap encoder have a look at these. less that $1.50, they are designed to be mounted into a PCB. They have a shaft to mount a knob on and have a built push-switch built in.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/632/1394.pdf

Cheers,

peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Here is a link to a handy little program called Encoder Designer, you enter what type of encoder you want to make (incremental or absolute) , the diameter and the CPR you want and it prints the wheel for you, may be of use with the mouse sensor's, I was going to try this, even printed out the transparancy wheel's but that is as far as I got, too many other projects need finishing first.

http://users.adelphia.net/~skbosko/Robot_top.htm

Russell.

ive seen lots on the net of guys using the same idea for spinners for homemade arcade game controller
    keep us posted
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Wow... so many interest huh... My apology for this delayed response. Was on the beach last weekend so didn't managed to get anything done...

First, some comments...

1. Peter: I'm aware of the MPG at your site. Yes, the price is reasonable and within my reach. I will probably buy one later when I'm in need of real MPG. For now, I running a Sherline, I can live with DIY MPG for the moment. I enjoy tinkering with stuff for the learning process and knowledge, even though sometime I ended up buying the 'off-the-shelf' solution. :-)

2. Using opto interrupter from mouse: Tried that before. Real PITA trying to align it properly once you take it out from the PCB. Doing a DIY disc, regular opto interrupter, etc normally result in a larger unit than I want... ;-)

3. The unit from Mouser is nice. Farnell Malaysia is selling it for about USD8... :-(

My overall goal is to have a small unit so I could make a pendant that can be operated with one hand... Need the other hand for other thing... :-)

Here's the outcome... a pendant that can be operated single handed...
    The 4 buttons are used as follows:
    1. Axis toggle (X, Y, Z)
    2. MPG mode toggle(velocity, step/velocity, single, multiple)
    3. Step size toggle (1.0, 0.1, 0.01, 0.001, etc)
    4. Yet to be assigned...

Overall, the pendant works as expected. The MPG isn't as smooth as industrial once but then it's only few cents... Also, the wheel is acrylic... almost no freewheeling... a metal wheel will be better...

More photos at my blog (www.9w2bsr.com)... easier to weave comments in between pictures...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01192.jpg   DSC01226.jpg   DSC01269.jpg  

Nice job Abasir, very clean looking.

Could you share a wiring diagram for thoes of us who are just sitting open mouthed and slack jawed.

Thanks

Mr Chips,

Here the wiring diagram... hope it's correct... I didn't use it to wire... drawn from memory :rainfro:

I connected the pendant to the 2nd parallel port where Mach3 allow pin 2-9 as input... you may have to have to change it for your specific setup...

The red wire is the +5V from USB port and the purple wire is the ground...
    The encoder is as view from top as originally oriented on the mouse (center wheel is on the right)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pendant.jpg  

Thanks Abasir. Now to lay my on a good mouse.

abasir,

dude, because of you, lot's of mouse get slaughtered by people in cnczone...LOL!!!

Good job bro! Yesterday night, I caught one mouse and rip the guts out. It can be used but I did not found a time to proceed. I was busy making the grid table for my machine.

Next step is to go find the small clamp and tap holder. Broke mine while tapping some of the grid holes.
    http://9w2dtr.blogspot.com/

Pendant

Very good... thread!

Bob

Hi dex918,

Please recycle (nuts)... take the encoder only, pass the rest to the cat :rainfro:

I still want to make another pendant using PIC microcontroller with just switches and potentiometer... no encoder required... I believe it will allow better positioning control than regular encoder based pendant... still thinking what features to include...
    Will update later when it's more crystallized...

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by dex918 View Post
    abasir,

dude, because of you, lot's of mouse get slaughtered by people in cnczone...LOL!!!

Good job bro! Yesterday night, I caught one mouse and rip the guts out. It can be used but I did not found a time to proceed. I was busy making the grid table for my machine.

Next step is to go find the small clamp and tap holder. Broke mine while tapping some of the grid holes.

Smile

Hi dex918,

Please recycle (nuts)... take the encoder only, pass the rest to the cat :rainfro:

I still want to make another pendant using PIC microcontroller with just switches and potentiometer... no encoder required... I believe it will allow better positioning control than regular encoder based pendant... still thinking what features to include...
    Will update later when it's more crystallized...

Cheers,
    Keep us in the loop when that latest idea crystallizes. Looking forward to it.

If somebody post the built with lot of pictures..i hope this will make further clear to all of us
    by the way great thread...

Page 1 of 3 123