585,933 active members*
3,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Cheap MPG for CNC using optical mouse center encoder
Page 3 of 3 123
    I look forward to your working unit..:-)

As for the z-axis, the precise control may not be necessary if a proper floating head is used for constant milling depth... drilling is a no brainer...
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

I thought about that, but it is always nice to have a "smart" Z just in case it can be used for other purposes, possibly engraving small things, you never know...

I have scored a couple of small DC motors that seem to be good quality, I am thinking of using these coupled to the linear encoder a la printer to make a small plotting machine, just for a test and see how suitable this would be for PCB making.

This would just use some kind of floating head and maybe solenoid to raise/lower the head. More testing to follow...

Russell.

I have 1 question as I too am building my own MPG controller, mainly for jobbing and centering purposes, therefore needless to say I want to have the commonly used buttons for such operation as well. Since I will be using 1 encoder to jog all axis, I am finding difficulty to allocate the setting to one of the buttons which need to toggle from one axis to another by "Alt A". I will also be using a second printer port which I have managed to set. Does anyone have any idea how to accieve this?
    Thanks
    Martin G

Seems like the printer I had modded was thrown out in the last clean up (chair) no matter I will find another, it will just slow things down a little. Still keen to test the encoder resolution.

Russell.

hi

coooooooooooool

cool

Hi guys !

Well, check this out, due to my poor electronics skills i couldn't follow my initial idea, a cheap hi res encoder.

The wheel in the pic has 200 line per inch wich result in 1200 count per turn it encodes the printers main shaft, on the same printer, the print head encoder also has 200 LPI it is a linear encoder of approx 30 cm long.

After frying the encoder module i can tell it is not an IR one, seems to be a simple led+sensor.

Hope this helps !

cnc2.

Page 3 of 3 123