584,319 active members*
6,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Optimum BF20L CNC conversion

Welcome!

I have just started the conversion of my BF20L. I will post pictures as the project moves along.

Manufacturer: www.optimum-maschinen.de
    Machine: http://www.optimum-machines.com/prod...rio/index.html

Things I have done so far:
    - Made Z-axis motor mount in steel
    - Made block between Isel ball-nut and headstock
    - Machined the ends of the Z ball-screw
    - Made more room around the upper part of Z thrustbearing, and shimed the lower part of it with thin shrink tubing to snug fit
    - Mounted the original thrust bearing for Z-axis under the top plate to eliminate slack.
    - Made room for the Y-axis ball-nut in the base of the mill, and modified for 200mm Y-travel
    - Made Y-axis motor mount in aluminium at the back of the mill
    - Made a temporary housing for the controller
    - Assembled the Z-axis and tested it. Lift 95kg easily (Me)

Parts used:
    www.homeshopcnc.com : RS34-960 (3)
    www.homeshopcnc.com : G203V (3)
    www.homeshopcnc.com : Opto-isloated breakout board (1)
    www.homeshopcnc.com : 65V, 12A Power Supply (1)
    www.homeshopcnc.com : MPG 101B 28 Function Hand Controller + MINI-IO (1)

www.worldofcnc.com : ISEL 16 x 05 Spindle (X/Y)
    www.worldofcnc.com : ISEL 25 x 05 Spindle (Z)
    www.worldofcnc.com : ISEL3 16 x 05 (2)
    www.worldofcnc.com : ISEL3 25 x 05 (1)
    www.worldofcnc.com : ISEL Ballnut Housing 16mm Base (2)
    www.worldofcnc.com : ISEL Ballnut Housing 25mm Base (1)
    www.worldofcnc.com : ISEL Ballnut Wipers/Seals (3)
    www.worldofcnc.com : Energy Chain (1 for X)
    www.worldofcnc.com : SRJ-30C-RD-10 X 12.7 (2)
    www.worldofcnc.com : SRJ-30C-RD-12 X 12.7 (1)
    www.worldofcnc.com : Grease

www.fag.com : Extra thrust bearing for Z-axis

CNC Software:
    www.artsoftcontrols.com : Mach 3
    www.candcnc.com: Plugin for IO and MPG 101B

Credits to my cousin Jon, who is my mentor in mechanical engineering and design, and of course to all you posters on CNC Zone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01 - maskinering av motorfeste.jpg   04 - Z-axis upper thrust bearing.jpg   05 - Z-axis lower thrust bearing.jpg   02 - feste mellom kulemutter og fres.jpg  

03 - Kulemutter og skrue.jpg   06 - feste mellom kulemutter og fres.jpg   07 - stepper coupling.jpg   08 - Ysteppermount.jpg  

Smile

- Y ballscrew machined to 10mm on both ends
    - M8 threads and key for handwheel machined on the front end
    - No bearing support in the back of Y-screw
    - Mounted the ballnut on Y-screw and assembled the thrustbearings.
    - Y-screw moves smooth and free of slack

Next: New support plate for X/Y ballnuts. We have to remove some of the material under the table, to make room for x-ballnut. The table is 9,5mm at it's thinnest, and 3mm have to be machined away.

Good fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09_Y-axis_in_CNC_lathe.jpg   10_Y-axis_in_Mill.jpg   11_Y-axis_in_place.jpg   12_Y-stepper_mounted.jpg  

13_progress_so_far.jpg  

the little block with the red screw driver is it for your z axis i am wondering cuz the plan i got i got from weiss in china shows that the block that attaches to the head and the screw of the z axis is like press fited in the z saddle if you can let me know exactly how you connected the ballscrew to the z saddle i would appreciate
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Quote Originally Posted by ataxy View Post
    the little block with the red screw driver is it for your z axis i am wondering cuz the plan i got i got from weiss in china shows that the block that attaches to the head and the screw of the z axis is like press fited in the z saddle if you can let me know exactly how you connected the ballscrew to the z saddle i would appreciate
    Hi,

Ball nut base

Ball nut

- The Isel base is locked to the nut with a set screw.
    - The mounting holes in the base could not be used, so we had to drill and tap 4 holes.
    - The block is then bolted to the base. The base fits precisely between the "tabs" in the block.
    - The block fits the saddle, and we used the original screws.

There is no shims or sliding parts. Just a block that fits between the ballnut base and Z-saddle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails base-block3.jpg  

ok thx, thats what i tought
    so how do you like your bf20
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

I haven't tested it much yet, but it seems like a rigid machine for it's size. I will give a full review when the conversion is done, and it's up running again

A little progress with the control box tonight. The casing is from a charger that was rated at 70/90A @ 12V, so the heatsink is massive. A fan mounted over the drivers will suck out warm air. I plan to make a filtered air intake at the back.

New frontplate and mounting bracket for the two parallel interfaces will be among my first CNC projects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JH0_1007.jpg   14_kontrollboks_top.jpg  

Almost finnished with the conversion now.
    - Made a adapter plate for x and y ballnut
    - Machined room for the ballnut fixing plate in the xy saddle
    - Machined away 3mm along the underside of the table
    - Mounted the x and y ballnut
    - Machined the ends of the x ballscrew

Next we will make a stepper mount for X, and then it's time for tuning and setup. Will start mounting limit switches this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16_x-slide1.jpg   17_x-slide2.jpg   18_y_ballscrew.jpg   19_machining_table.jpg  

20_x_ballscrew.jpg  

Did you scrape the ways or did it come like that?

Beautiful job, I like the y-axis stepper motor mounted in the back; much more elegant then hanging it off the front.

Did you build the base yourself? How about a couple of pictures of it?

What type of manual mill is that? Sort of looks like a horizontal mill with a vertical attachment.

Hi Jan,

Nice conversion! I have a BF20L bought from top-maschinen.de last May. Got the Optimum ball screws though and only made the motor mounts myself. Works nicely, just ca 0,05 mm backlash.

The hard part is making the G-code for my 3D-parts

Regards Björn
    Stockholm, Sweden

how much is the ballscrew kit for the bf20-L

Hi,

top-maschinen.de in Germany has the following prices in Euro:

X-axis 296 (BF20) or 320 (BF20L)
    Y-axis 275
    Z-axis 320
    Mounts for all three axis 46

So total is ca € 960 plus shipping. No machining needed, just put them in there

Regards Björn

wow 1500$ are they grounded or rolled and are they preloaded

Not really sure, the Optimum website doesn't say. I just wanted a finsihed solution to get it up and running.

Remember that the dollar is not so high in value at the moment. It's at the lowest value compared to SEK since 1992, I guess I should buy stuff from the US

Regards Björn

Hi,

Are these ballscrew prices any good?

http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co....a04fa39c0e8cb8

John

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanandhistoy View Post
    Hi,

Are these ballscrew prices any good?

http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co....a04fa39c0e8cb8

John
    link does not work i get a page cannot be displayed

Quote Originally Posted by ataxy View Post
    link does not work i get a page cannot be displayed
    Strange it was working; go to http://www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/ and look for the link to ballscrews.

John

Wow Jan. That is some great work. I just have a few questions:

1. How complete is your parts list? I'm trying to price out the conversion so I can do it myself.
    2. Is it possible to get some dimensions and pictures for the parts you've made? I'm a real noob at this, so I could use lots of help.
    3. Where did you get your breakout board, power supply, and controller? I couldn't find them on the homeshop website.

Thanks for the great pictures. They're very inspiring. Please keep us updated.

Hi Christian,

Glad you like it

1. The list should be complete, but does not include end-machining of ballscrews, materials for motor mounts and some bearings and screws. I have also bought a Logitrol pendant, a SmoothStepper, and a spindle interface from CNC4PC, but that is more conveniant than essential.
    2. We never made drawings other than some sketches. I will try to help you. Just ask.
    3. HomeshopCNC.com, but it was shipped from another location if I remember correct. Maybe he will get it for you if you send him a request.

I think Syil make some conversion kits that will fit this mill. May be cheaper than to buy all the parts.

You need to have access to a large mill, and a lathe to do the conversion with the parts I have chosen.

Jan