585,752 active members*
3,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Joe's 4x4 Hybrid - my build

With much discussion on the new private forum and a few interesting posts from people here I feel that people are anxious to see more of Joe's machine and wondering why it is so silent here. To be honest with all of you the private forum was created as a support base, not to shift traffic off of this website. CNCZone after all is the birthplace of all of this and I would be absolutely no where in the world of DIY cnc without cnczone.com. Anyhow, here are some more teaser photos to anyone interested.

Working on a gecko 203v based controller, pmdx bob, antek PSU, rotary disconnect, IEC relay contactor, XLR motor cable connectors, true nema 4/12 enclosure

Great to see u here bp092... so at last some one broke the silence i will happy to watch ur progress...

Howdy BP,

Your controller looks great!! I like how everything flows and you can just look at and follow where every thing goes . Care to elaborate on the parts and where you got them ? or is this all in the plans and we need to buy ?

thanks again great Job I want to build my next controler as clean as this one Kent

Kent,

Not apart of the plans, will post a BOM soon for people on joe's 4x4 build. Thanks for the comments.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    With much discussion on the new private forum and a few interesting posts from people here I feel that people are anxious to see more of Joe's machine and wondering why it is so silent here. To be honest with all of you the private forum was created as a support base, not to shift traffic off of this website. CNCZone after all is the birthplace of all of this and I would be absolutely no where in the world of DIY cnc without cnczone.com. Anyhow, here are some more teaser photos to anyone interested.
    [/IMG]
    Thanks for posting BP92, I hope you don’t get in trouble like I did.
    I really admire Joe’s Hybrid work and agree he deserves a medal. I agree that “the private forum was created as a support base” Joe has a responsibility to the plan buyers, and to focus on their questions, and that takes a lot of time, and as this is his hobby.

I am not building a clone of the Hybrid, nor am I making or selling plans or kits, or plan to. I’m only interested in the build and seeing everyone benefit from an innovative slant on material use, and construction ideas. “CNCZone after all is the birthplace of all of this”.

If and when people start building machines that encompass some of the attributes found on the Hybrid. They should not expect Joe to answer questions about the build. However knowing Joe, he will as time permits.

People are creative and innovative, some like Joe are more than others, however nothing is static and people adapting Joe’s innovations may even find even better tricks and twists to further our knowledge and improve our hobby machines, at least we hope.

I encourage innovation. Anyone with a creative mechanical mind can disassemble joe's machine into pieces, as he said before steppers, vroller bearings, ball screws, it's all been done before; nothing new. But Joe in this machine (and I truely believe this) found a balance between materials, making this machine rigid and strong without all of the additives and time of welding, metal machining etc. He has designed this machine to be understood and built on simple fundamental principles. If you have the time and patience, a little know how you can do all of that. Might take you a few thousand hours and a ton of money to develop a machine like it as Joe did, or you can pay him a small fee and build a proven machine without all of the headaches. It's up to the individual person, that's all. Joe's not trying to make money, he's just trying to recover a portion of what it took to develop the 06 and the hybrid for all of you. Think of it as a payback, not a profit. There is no fairer way to put it.

Mr.Chips i second u

Question

I encourage innovation. Anyone with a creative mechanical mind can disassemble joe's machine into pieces, as he said before steppers, vroller bearings, ball screws, it's all been done before; nothing new. But Joe in this machine (and I truely believe this) found a balance between materials, making this machine rigid and strong without all of the additives and time of welding, metal machining etc. He has designed this machine to be understood and built on simple fundamental principles. If you have the time and patience, a little know how you can do all of that. Might take you a few thousand hours and a ton of money to develop a machine like it as Joe did, or you can pay him a small fee and build a proven machine without all of the headaches. It's up to the individual person, that's all. Joe's not trying to make money, he's just trying to recover a portion of what it took to develop the 06 and the hybrid for all of you. Think of it as a payback, not a profit. There is no fairer way to put it.
    That said could we discuss and comment on the Hybrid build, I have some things I would like to air.

Kent,

Not apart of the plans, will post a BOM soon for people on joe's 4x4 build. Thanks for the comments

Thanks BP looking forward to it

Mr. Chips
    People are creative and innovative, some like Joe are more than others, however nothing is static and people adapting Joe’s innovations may even find even better tricks and twists to further our knowledge and improve our hobby machines, at least we hope.
    Joe
    Anyone can build their own machine, look at how many pipe rails, MDF machines are out there, hundreds, you are more than welcome to build you own 4x4 if you desire to. 80/20, MDF, HDPE, Uni-strut, v-bearings are not new ideas everyone uses them, I just provided an example to use them in harmony if you will, hence the word Hybrid.

There are tons of people on here who build their own machines, I wanted to build a cost effective 4x4. then others showed interest, so i just provided a set of plans to my build and if someone wants to pay me for them that is strictly up to them. I still believe the cost of my plans do save people many hours of time and money in materials that may be waisted.

I agree 100%with both statements, Joe & company ( I believe this was partially a joint effort, I might be wrong if so please forgive me)

I personally wouldn't mind seeing others take what Joe has designed and make it suit there own needs or skill's.

I am very thankfull for all Joe has done for the community and myself . ( I love my 2006 model and will use it for years to come I am sure.) I bought the kit from Joe, because this was the easy and quickest / best way for me to learn what CNC was about.

I would like to design my own one day and plan on cleening information where ever I can find it. This way I can build or fail to build a machine, I can call my own. Or at least say I put the configuration of parts in Harmony I believe this is the spirit in which this forum is built on and enjoyed by many.

If I was just starting out agian I would diffinately buy Joes plans for the 4x4 model., and think the Idea of a private forum is great ( but I hope we are not missing to much ) and would like to see some of the package deals worked out for any CNCzone member

take care Kent

Kent,

Not apart of the plans, will post a BOM soon for people on joe's 4x4 build. Thanks for the comments.
    A BOM would be very handy in order for me to work out local pricing on the big parts (8020, Unistrut, ACME), shipping costs for the special bits, and regular stuff.

An estimated USA cost is usually nowhere near what it costs locally.

I also need to consider the conversion to metric for the MDF and HDPE bits, which looks like a lot less work than the 2006 model.

Don't have a problem with paying the $75 for the plans, but would rather not do it until I can figure out a rough budget ($'s and time required). Plus it distracts me less at the moment by not having access to the private forums

Cheers,

Claudio
    - WidgitMaster Wide Router with Kress FME 800, HobbyCNC 305oz Stepper Kit
    - WidgitMaster Midi Router with Dremel

I don't think Joe will post a BOM here, I may do one for the electronics but that's it. The machine BOM comes with the plans. I understand your need to budget. I built the basic machine for about $1,500 USD, controller was another $1,000 or so but you could definitely do it for a few hundred or less. I would expect to budget between $2000 - $2500 for the entire build when you are said and done. Also make sure you can get unistrut and 8020 to you, those are the key components to the build which are more difficult to get overseas unfortunately.

Sorry, I missread your statement about providing a BOM.

Shipping of the long parts is costly, as USPS have limits on the length of items (~46"), so the only option is UPS or FedEx. Mark from 8020surplus has been very helpful, and was able to let me know that shipping for the 8020 bits would be US$480!

Fortunately we can get 8020 and Unistrut locally, but am yet to get pricing. I have sent off for quote on the 8020, but don't know what Unistrut bits are required.

I already have 2 x 1/2" 8-2 Start ACME's but will need at least another and maybe a little more for the z axis.

All the other special bits should be small enough to ship economically.

I am heading to the USA again in May so might have to bring some more stuff back.

Cheers,

Claudio

They allow 8020 extrusions as a carryon?

Not as carry-on, but a luggage.

I've just looked back at the ebay listing for the 8020 and noticed each piece weighs 16 pounds, so it's probably too heavy anyway.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the local pricing, which I can guarantee will be a lot more than the $50 to $70 you guys pay over there.

Time to move to the USA!

Cheers,

Claudio

Always a possibility! And the prices we are getting aren't even retail they are surplus, a significant discount off of retail prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioG View Post

Fortunately we can get 8020 and Unistrut locally, but am yet to get pricing. I have sent off for quote on the 8020, but don't know what Unistrut bits are required.
    Looking at the pics that bp092 posted, the unistrut is not an important component.

Seems like it simply makes up the legs and table support. This could easily be done with angle iron or RHS or other alternatives.

If you can get the 8020 locally or even substitute with ITEM, most of the rest we would normally get from OS anyway.

Greg

I agree with greg's statement. As long as you go with similar dimensions it will work. Use of unistrut is because it's cheap and available at most home centers near people. It's also slotted so there is no welding or drilling. Would try your best to get the 8020, it will save you a lot of frustration, time planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    That said could we discuss and comment on the Hybrid build, I have some things I would like to air.
    Sure

I don't think Joe will post a BOM here, I may do one for the electronics but that's it.
    Very slick case.. Interested in where you got that.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    Sure
    Thanks Joe,

Hager

Page 1 of 4 123