586,024 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas TM-3 or Bridgeport w/ AccuRite MillPWR??

Haas TM-3 or Bridgeport w/ AccuRite MillPWR??

I am looking at purchasing a New cnc Mill. I have the money to purchase either of the two machines (nicely equipped). I will be using the mill in a job shop. I need the largest due to the weights that I will probably put on the table. Most of the uses will be Bolt circles, offsize keyways, little profile and pocket.
    I currently have 2 sharp TMV manual mills which I love, Great accuracy, good power and rigid. I am looking into the Haas because of the features that it has, rigid tapping, tool changer etc. The machine needs to be easy to program as well.

I also have a TL-3, Which I hate, because it will not machine anything longer than 12" without chattering. Because of this I am a little weary of the TM's rigidity and skeptical of the quality.

If you guys could give me some pictures of the frame of the TM series and your thoughts on it, please let me know....And I did do a searchy

Thanks

Pat

TM

I am not a huge fan of the TL's, mostly because of the tailstock.
    However a TM compared to a retrofitted bridgeport to my way of thinking is a no-brainer.
    Cat 40 - Toolchanger -7.5Hp vs 2Hp - Rigid Tapping - 4-5 axis capable?
    As far as I am concerned R8 is useless for CNC.
    I had a retrofitted 2X bandit for many years. Absolutely no comparison to a TM.
    Especially since there is relatively no price difference.

If comparing a Series I Bridgeport with 4 to 5 inches of Z Travel and what the HAAS has there is no comparison. I have a couple of Seiki XL's with Anilam 1100M 3 Axis controls on them. The Z axis movement is the killer. I just purchased a new TM-1P and just about ready to get into the chip cutting business. There may be other machines with box ways on them that may be a little more rigid. Just some research that you will have to do for your application. I will be doing mostly aluminum so the TM-1P and it should work fine for me in my garage.

John

Quote Originally Posted by pjr170 View Post
    ....I am looking into the Haas because of the features that it has, rigid tapping, tool changer etc. The machine needs to be easy to program as well.

I also have a TL-3, Which I hate, because it will not machine anything longer than 12" without chattering. Because of this I am a little weary of the TM's rigidity and skeptical of the quality......
    Your wariness may be justified.

Positive comment first, then other comments:

Haas machines have a very user friendly control in my opinion, the toolchanger is good and they have useful features such as rigid tapping.

Their quality matches their price; they are not expensive machines, but they also, in my opinion, are not quite as good at quality control as they could be. I have encountered silly little problems like loose bolts on Haas machines.

A getting to the TL3...yes it lacks rigidity. The bed of the machine is simply not stiff enough. I believe Haas actually has a fix for this which extra supports that can be placed between the bottom of the bed casting and the floor spaced between the feet on the machine...you should contact your dealer or the Haas factory directly and ask about these.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

i have owned and run a TM-1 with tool changer for 3 years now and its still holding
    2-4 tenths,have had little or no problems and i will be buying a larger hass soon,the
    TM-3P most likely,i have cut tool steels,hard and soft,300 series ss and aluminum
    for the money,you cant beat the hass,i also own some bridge port type cnc's and
    the hass is better by far,good luck with what ever machine you buy
    steve