585,556 active members*
3,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Eldorado DRO installation

I recently purchased a used Eldorado Bridgemill and decided that a DRO was an absolute necessity (old eyes). I would like some pointers
    on mounting the Y and Z axis scales. I bought the Jenix 3 axis package from JT. He sent me some pictures but I figured that I would ask here before I drilled any holes. Locations, dimensions,
    all suggestions gratefully accepted.

thanks

bill a.

I bought mine with the DRO installed... I think they just drilled mounting holes where needed.

They did put a cover over the Y axis DRO.... looks 'homemade'.

Works great though.

My machine was apparently an early bridgemill and JT indicated that they didn't have a DRO option at that time. I am a little lost as to whether the scale or the reader head should be mounted on the moving parts. The pictures JT sent didn't show the mill head scale which I am calling the Z axis so I'm not sure where the best location would be to mount it so that it won't interfere with my eventual CNC upgrade.

Bill,
    Our company had a quadra lift model with the Canadian made CBX system. My Patriot has the Jenix system. I think your Bridgemill is the same mounting system as the Patriot.
    The Y axis should have 2 tapped holes in the side of the cross slide carriage for the scale and a single tapped hole in the lower carriage for the slider. The Z axis should have 2 holes in the big mill head support bar that match up to the 2 holes in the slider, and then the scale portion attaches to the arm coming off the quill with an angle piece about 1" X 1". On the X, the main scale attaches to the casting on the rear ( motor side) and the slide attaches to a flat steel bracket on the moving carriage.

The Patriots have a factory mounting bracket for the display, but its a bit too close for my liking. I am working up some drawings for an articulated arm style mount which will also make a nice project.