585,744 active members*
4,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question program wont run

wrote new program on featurecam which was just updated. downloaded to machine with no problums but it wont run error appears on top of screen
    "TWO TOOL DEFS 255 BEFORE PROG CALL" never exprieanced this problem before. Evan sent it back to PC, edited first lines "copy first 10 lines of prog from known working prog pasted to faulty prog sent back to machine but this still wont run any help please. the machine is a heidenhain 412 with 2500 control

Quote Originally Posted by laamar View Post
    wrote new program on featurecam which was just updated. downloaded to machine with no problums but it wont run error appears on top of screen
    "TWO TOOL DEFS 255 BEFORE PROG CALL" never exprieanced this problem before. Evan sent it back to PC, edited first lines "copy first 10 lines of prog from known working prog pasted to faulty prog sent back to machine but this still wont run any help please. the machine is a heidenhain 412 with 2500 control
    Hi, I have the same machine with the 2500 control and the control will not even let me put a tool def 255 in. Tool Def 254 is the highest it will let me enter.
    When i try Tool Def 255 the control gives me an error that says : " entry value incorrect "

I would try a smaller tool Def #

Unhappy thank you

Tried what you recommended but this did not fix the problem. we thinks it's the new featurecam that we asked the company next door to write because our dongles out of order. We lent them our post and when program was written it will send to machine but will not run. we tried copy and paste the first 50 lines of code with a program that will run but it still wont run.

Have you used and run a Tool Def 255 before? My experience of these type of errors are that they mean exactly what the screen is telling you. Sometimes they are staring you in the face.

We do not drip feed our programs, most are done manually. Our heidenhain controls vary from using Tool Tables to Tool info entered directly into the program. Obviously the Tool table will not allow two identical Tool Def Numbers, and when entering Tool info into the progrm itself you just cannot enter two the same.

Assuming that you have used Tool Def 255 before, it may be that you have mistakingly got a duplicate command in an area of the progrm you would not normally put it in. Have you got a Tool Def 255 somewhere instead of a Tool Call 255? It may be that the featurecam will allow you to enter two indentical Defs and send to the machine, but will not actually run on the control.

Check ALL OF THE PROGRAM if possible. The error is normally somewhere you would least expect it.

Question reply

thanks for the reply. the program has only 12 tool defs so where the 255 tool def comes from is anybodies guess, even removed all tool defs bar 1 with the same effect.

sample of prog

0 BEGIN PROG 35 INCH
    1 TOOL DEF 1 L0 R0
    2 (MORE TOOL DEFS)
    THEN WE SET SOME DATUM SHIFTS
    30 TOOL CALL 1 S2020 Z
    31 L M6
    32 CALL LBL 1
    33 L X? Y? FMAX M3
    34 Z 0.1 FMAX M8
    We have checked this prog with a working older prog and can't see the problem. We would write it on machine but its 500 lines long and the company wont pay for a RSI .

Quote Originally Posted by laamar View Post
    0 BEGIN PROG 35 INCH
    1 TOOL DEF 1 L0 R0
    2 (MORE TOOL DEFS)
    THEN WE SET SOME DATUM SHIFTS
    30 TOOL CALL 1 S2020 Z
    31 L M6
    32 CALL LBL 1
    33 L X? Y? FMAX M3
    34 Z 0.1 FMAX M8
    We have checked this prog with a working older prog and can't see the problem. We would write it on machine but its 500 lines long and the company wont pay for a RSI .
    If you want to email me your program i will check it out and try it in my machine.

[email protected]

Mmmm.
    Is the main program you intend to use, for eg, PROGRAM 35? If so, does this program contain all the information regarding your machining requirements, including all your Tool Defs and Datums?
    I only ask because your original description of the error mentions "BEFORE PROGRAM CALL".

Some of our controls do not operate a tool table so the Tool Defs are within the program itself. However, some time ago I wrote a program that contained only program call commands and Tool Defs.

EG
    0 BEGIN PGM 999 MM
    1 TOOL DEF 1 L0 RO
    2 TOOL DEF 2 L0 R0
    3 CALL PGM 1
    4 CALL PGM 73
    5 END PGM 999

What I did was to mistakingly put Tool Defs in both the above Progam 999 and also Program 1 & 73. The error was Two Tool Defs. The solution was to remove the DEFS from the programs.

Are you using any PROGRAM CALL commands or variants within your main program? It could be possible that the duplicate Tool Def is contained in another program that you are calling.

I hope you get what I mean. It would be easier to have a look at the program myself.

Found what the problem was, it was the old post processor we was using would'nt work tidy with the new featurecam. Altered a post to suit machine and it works??? The post looks the same but written on the new X build, Who would of guessed