584,846 active members*
4,007 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Tool Nose Radius

Hi,
    We just got a HAAS TL-4 Lathe. I have been doing the programming for our Mills for about five years now, but this is the first lathe I will have programmed. At this point my main concern is how to use the tool nose radius compensation. I would like to have the Program do all the compensating for the radius on the tool just as with programming using centerline programming on the mills(no need to but a tool diameter or radius in). I use FeatureCam for most of my programming but I also have MasterCam and SurfCam. I can see many obsticles because of it being a toolroom lathe but I will start with this one.
    Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

Everyone has their own way to do thing, but I found programming on the lathe the easiest is program with 0radius, then put tool radius and direction in the offset and machine will take care the rest. I knew you working with milling for so long and found it diffcult the new idea. Machinist end up stuck with same tool/let say it create chatter........ end up rewrite program.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Config your featurecam so it will program it. Mine was doing it but I prefer to make the control do the job in a canned cycle. After if I have a similar part but different dimmension, I just have to change the profile wants and don't botther with the tool comp. But hey, all roads leads to Rome!

I dont know that software and I know it sucks to manually edit your posts but if you put a G42 for O.D. and a G41 for I.D. in a canned cycle the machine will do all the math for you.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerobb View Post
    ... but if you put a G42 for O.D. and a G41 for I.D. in a canned cycle...
    Careful with that thinking. "G42 for OD" got me in trouble with a part recently and it drove me nuts with TNC. G42 is for 'Tool Right' compensation. I was turning toward the tailstock and the TNC was going backward. I couldn't figure out what the heck I was doing wrong. It was supposed to be G41 (tool left) even though it was the outside of the part.

Don't make the same mistake. I scrapped a lot of brass that day. :withstupi
    Greg

tool right tool left

That is true thanks for the tip I would have done the same thing and been scratching my head

Simple Lathe Cam

try this program for calculating the compensations on your lathe: WebMachinist.Net The Online Source for Machining Resources

Re: Tool Nose Radius

www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!