584,879 active members*
5,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION
Page 1 of 3 123

Cut3D- Machining of Romanesque Style Column using SLICE FUNCTION

I am very happy today, because i bought Vectric Cut3D and after a long long time waiting my dream comes true(all the credit goes to Vectric team especially Tony Mac & Brian, bcos they made such a userfreindly and professional software with very affordable price as compare to other softwares)...Nobody here have a single problem that was not solved by the great vectric team.

I am here , by using your support and help start working on Romanesque Style column (a CD gifted by one of my foreign friend with title "Art Recon3D Vol 2 (Medieval Art - Romanesque & Gothic style)""by using the great Slice fuctionality of Vectric Cut3D. I hope you will all enjoy by seeing the built of this column.

I have a collection of Roman/Gothic 3D art, so i wish to create all the models with the help of Vectric Cut3D.
    Attached is the picture of one of the test column, i will happy if you guide me in the right direction if i am getting any trouble. so lets unviel the functionality of CUT3D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cut3d-Slice.jpg  

Ohh.. the slices are made keeping z-axis as above figures but they all seems to be simple block when viewed individual slices in Cut3D.. i dont know why??/ But now i changed the orientation of the model as per figure below and slices made were workable.

Now i will make test pieces of half of the Top portion of model. And the only tool i will use ballmill 6mm with following configuration.
    Rough cut: 6mm ball nose with 30% stepover
    Finish Cut: same 6mm ball nose with 15% stepover
    Cut out: 6mm ball nose

I will use 12.5mm MDF board ( I hate MDF due to pollution it create)
    The Feedrate will be 100IPM and the plunge ratewill be 20 IPM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails orientation changed.jpg  

G-code

G-code of all top portion slices (Qty:04 each 11.5mm thick)of the column were created with the help of CUT3D and now its the time for the other great product from Vectric the VCARVE PRO. It will be used to nest all slices on a single sheet..(Note: we can individualy machine each slice into CUT3D also)...
    You can see following figure after arranging the slices and simulation preview.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vcarvepro.jpg  

lot of dust

After a lot of dust, the test pieces are ready But i had a mistake i checked the MDF piece as 11.5mm but it was 0.5mm larger in thickness. so my slices sticked to the board... but this was my first experiment with CUT3D.. and i am very happy with it..nice detailing it done..

Next time i will keep the stepover value 12% for finish machining and try to use small 3mm ball nose tool for good detailing... and and and i will never try on MDF

and it took about 1 hr 42 minutes to complete against estimated time of 1 hr 38 minutes by Vcarve pro. with scale factor of 2.00.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 top view.jpg   2 column.jpg   3.gif   4 another view.jpg  

Difficult to remove the machined slices from MDF I dressed the edges little bit and glued all slices together... Pictures shows some rough work i did..but still the column looks great I will sand it after they stick together tightly and will paint the column

Height of the column is 320mm (12.6 inches) and dia is about 64mm:rainfro2.5")
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails semifinish.jpg   semifinish1.jpg  

Hi Khalid,

You didn't waste any time getting into the software - nothing like stating with the simple stuff straight in at the deep end!

The column looks great and thanks for showing and explaining the process.

Tony

:

Dear Tony Mac
    The software is very very user friendly... One having a little knowledge about CAD/CAM can very easily operate and get the desired results. Thanks for appreciation of my work
    Many of my friends viewed but posted no critique.....:0

Best Regards

Today the column was painted and my Wife stick it on the wall with two sided tape.... nnnnnn she put a candle on the top its Looking great.....

Today we will prepare a home work for Romanesque Style column Base i.e. will do software work only, my router will keep quite today.... And i will just test the software functionality.... All the work i am going to do with small models, later on i will carry out full scale model (If my wife permit me...hehehe), Bythe way she is happy with new addition of candle stand....

Tomorrow i will route it out and will show you some of the pictures so what will be the function of that column base????? May be to keep a flower pot on it...or to keep any statue...many possibilities... this model can also be machined with the help of 4-sided machining functionality of software but i will experiment on it later on in another thread...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Base column.jpg   slicing.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    Ohh.. the slices are made keeping z-axis as above figures but they all seems to be simple block when viewed individual slices in Cut3D.. i dont know why??/ But now i changed the orientation of the model as per figure below and slices made were workable.
    Now i understand why the software not function for such models having top area larger than the base .. and that was the reason i have to make horizontal my model and then made slices of it...

In the column base case, the top doesn't make shadows on the bottom portion assuming the SUN is on the top...so My model can be sliced in this setup

Am i right?????

Now For this case, again i will use single tool 6mm ball nose, for my finishing and rough operation. We will generate Roughing/finishing toolpaths for all slices... so that we can get them in VcarvePro for nesting on a single sheet...Following figures show one of the slice with roughing/finishing parameters... For easyness, I always keep the origin at the top center of work piece
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first slice.jpg   roughing toolpath.jpg   Finishing toolpath.jpg  

Khalid,

I've been watching this post, good work!

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Ohhh.. so why were you quite for long just kidding
    Thank you for watching..nnnn keep watching man..
    Regards

Toolpath generation carried out for all slices and then imported to Vcarve Pro for nesting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vcarve Pro Nesting.jpg  

hmmm... one thing wrong.. guess what ???

So it took 2 Hrs 27 Minutes to complete this job. I have done a little sanding... and guess what went wrong......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03193.jpg   View3.jpg   View2.gif  

What went wrong Khalid?

Page 1 of 3 123