585,931 active members*
3,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tool Offsets

Tool Offsets

Hi all,

I have a Syil SX3 and a full set of Falcon KwikLoc quick change tool holders. Now that I am setup with a quick change system, I want to have Mach3 to do the offsets for my tools, but I've never done it before and am unsure of the process.

Currently, when I have a tool change, I move the Z axis up, remove the old tool, put the new tool in, measure it to a height of 2 inches, then just change the value of Z in Mach3 manually. It works like a charm, but I know there is a better way, especially since I now have a quick change tool system and my various bits, etc... can remain in a tool holder.

So, that being said, can anyone give me some guidelines in setting up the auto offsets, and maybe an example?

Thanks much,
    Wade

Got it working. It's a really awesome feature. I can't believe I didn't make use of it before.

Wade

Could you tell us how you set it up and the procedures you use?

Thanks
    Gary

Sure, it's pretty easy. I took an old drill bit that I had and I ground a nice smooth curved end on it. This became Tool #0. To zero my tools, I have one of those little gizmo's with a light in it that turns on as soon as the tool touches the top of it.

So now, I zero tool #0. After it is zero'd, that tool NEVER get's removed from it's holder again. That is now your reference tool that all other tools are offset from. Now, I put the next tool in and using the tool height indicator, move it down until my light turns on.

At this point, look at the Z DRO on the Mach 3 screen. Let's just for giggles say that the value shown is +0.2525. This value now gets entered into the CONFIG > TOOLTABLE under tool #1.

Now, you just do the same thing for all of your other tools, and you are done. Just remember that if any of your tools have to get reloaded into their tool holder, you MUST get reset the height offset in the CONFIG > TOOLTABLE.

Hope that is clear.

Wade