584,814 active members*
5,284 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Quick Taig headstock question:

By looking at my picture below, notice how much room there is at the top of the black "permanent" dovetail that mates with the headstock, as compared to the movable headstock itself.

I recently bought a Rapid (Tool) Changer (not shown) and while it's a great little addition, it doesn't leave much room between cutters and the subplate/vice. Is there any specific reason why I couldn't raise the headstock on the dovetail in order to gain more travel for the Z?

Dave->..

Nope, none whatsoever. Thats why it's there actually. I'll leave the headstock down on some machines if they primarily only use stubby 1/8" engraving bits, and raise it on another for use with endmill holders or rapid tool changers like you have. Pretty much it's there specifically for the kind of problem you are having, to ensure access to the full Z travel no matter what tooling you are using on it.
    If you take the dovetail plate off, you will even notice that the tapped holes are already there to move the plate itself up or down and inch or so either way if you need even more clearance. You'll need to use an indicator and make sure you reattach it square if you move the plate itself, but there in no reason why you can't if you really need to. Remember the motor mount will have to come up the same amount to keep the belt straight in any case.

Thanks for the quick reply and answer ,stepper. I figured that's how it was setup but wanted to be completely sure. I have a question into Microproto but haven't heard back from them.

Thanks again :cheers:

EDIT: forgot to mention that the motor mount is actually bolted right to it so no need to adjust it-
    Dave->..

You can move the headstock up and down on the dovetail, and move the dovetail up and down on the z-axis slide. You can also rotate the dovetail 90 degrees and rebolt for odd operations...
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

Now that's an interesting thought, (bolting sideways), thanks so much, Nick-
    Dave->..